Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 2:07am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « verapamil ? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   verapamil ?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: verapamil ?  (Read 6436 times)
becky8

Email

verapamil ?
« on: Oct 3rd, 2004, 8:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Last night I had my first trip to the ER. Started on and off last Wednesday and went on like that til Friday night. Then hit with full force and went on all night and day Saturday until I couldn't take anymore and even after 2 doses Imitrex(nose spray). I am chronic, I saw a Neuro last week for the first time and he was useless. I called him on Friday to tell him I was feeling real bad, I told him I wanted veramapil for preventive,since I read from all you it really helps. My question is how long before you know if its working and what side effects did most of you seem to get. Man, last night H2O didn't even help. I had 3 different shots before they found one that would give me releif, I waited to long. Well, I sure hope vermapil at least cuts these down day wise and pain wise. Anyone help????
IP Logged
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

Re: verapamil ?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 3rd, 2004, 9:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

verapamil takes about a week...
anybody else?
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
becky8

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 3rd, 2004, 9:06pm »

Does it help abort at all or not? I get confused with all these different drugs. I am still shadowing tonight and pray its not like last night
IP Logged
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 3rd, 2004, 9:16pm »

Verap has helped to keep the 10's away....but I'm rather low dose due to low BP to begin with.  Depending on how high you can go and not have your BP bottom out, the more/better results you should see.  

If I was able to go higher than 300mg extended release I would but I can't.
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 3rd, 2004, 9:26pm »

Sorry you are hurting so badly.  I was ok on it with no luck till I took over 900mg.  That caused me to have an irregular heart beat.  But remember if it doesn't work at a higher dose try adding lithium900mg to it.  I have heard it should take about a week to kick it and hopefully all your ha will end.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
don

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 4th, 2004, 9:32am »

10 to 14 days at a theraputic dose.

I dose at 480 mg a day.
IP Logged
marfanoidus
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

marfanoidus  
Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 4th, 2004, 2:08pm »

Yeah, it is definitely a preventative, not an abortive.

My (angel) neuro put me on a Prednisone taper while the Verapamil and Caffergot had time to build up in the system. That plan worked very well for me.

good luck to you,
walt
IP Logged

Sometimes "What doesn't kill you" makes you wish it had.
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 4th, 2004, 8:28pm »

Ditto to the above.

My magic dose seems to be 480mg/day, but it takes at least a week to 10 days to kick in.  Once it starts to work, the HA's that need Trex (statdose for me) gradually decrease in intensity until I only have shadows.  Then they start to go away also.  Start to finish, I'd say a cycle with Verapamil lasts about 5 weeks.  Without it, I wouldn't even want to think about how long or bad it would be.

Chances are, your doc will want to start you out on a lower dose.  Just encourage the idea of ramping it up quickly.  A Prednisone taper started at the same time will often keep the beast at bay until the Verap has had time to start its magic.

As far as side effects - major constipation is a biggie!  Fiber ... water ... the occasional laxative will be needed.  Verapamil can also lower the B/P (causing dizziness, fatigue, etc.) and some people can't take it for that reason.  

All I can say is that it has been great for me - hope it helps you as well.

Hugs and good wishes,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Tom K
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wait 5 days, but I'm angry now...

Paintba11z

« Reply #8 on: Oct 5th, 2004, 8:43pm »

I have to agree, pred taper then verap.  I'm on 240mg of verap but am on another hbp pill so my bp bottoms pretty easy.  I got 2 trigger point injections in the back of the head to hold me over until the verap kicked in, one of them had pred in it.  After a week and a half on verap, I'm pretty much PF.

T
IP Logged

"America, you're so fine, you're so fine, you blow my mind. America, America."-Bart Simpson
don

Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 5th, 2004, 9:44pm »

Best to get on the verapamil BEFORE the taper and continue after.
IP Logged
Pegase
New Board Old Timer
Canada 

Hit the Road Jack...

« Reply #10 on: Oct 6th, 2004, 9:09am »

at 240 mg it did the job for me... I'm still having slight shadows but i feel way better now... fatigue is sometimes a problem though.

Pegase
IP Logged
becky8

Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 6th, 2004, 9:25am »

Verapamil at 120mg will that even help at all, my neuro doesn't know anything I had to ask for it and he would only give 120mg. Is it going to anything???
IP Logged
Pegase
New Board Old Timer
Canada 

Hit the Road Jack...

« Reply #12 on: Oct 6th, 2004, 9:45am »

Usually the basic dosage is 240mg... Am I wrong gang???

Pegase
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #13 on: Oct 6th, 2004, 9:53am »

My hubby got up to 720mgs/day before it ended his cycle for him.  Dosing that high, though, MUST be done with doc's supervision.  Verap lowers blood pressure so you do have to be careful and keep getting your b/p checked.

Also important is to NEVER quit verapamil cold turkey!  Because it does lower b/p, stopping suddenly could cause your readings to shoot high and put you at huge risk.  Mike's doc recommended stepping down his dosages three days at a time.

Magnesium supplements work well with Verapamil.  Not only is it suspected to improve clusters, it also helps with the ... uh... binding effects of Verap.
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
becky8

Email

« Reply #14 on: Oct 6th, 2004, 9:57am »

I know I have to watch my blood pressure. What's the number for that to watch, I mean How low can it go and still be okay
IP Logged
eddie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

PFDAN TO ALL

« Reply #15 on: Oct 6th, 2004, 10:53am »

77/50 is good enough
40/50 is to low {er trip}
140/90 is to high  
180/ 110 severly to high  

i think my reg bp is 138/88 pulse 78
now with 480mg verapamil the lowest it went 98/69 ok
the average while taking 480verapamil 108/68
when i started taking it along with pred taper
i made me HA diary also bp diary
i checked my bp every hour for a week it never got  
to low for me. it kept it down but not to much.
PFDAN to all eddie

IP Logged

PFDAN TO ALL>><< http://www.putfile.com/ededearl>>><music> http://www.myspace.com/pamneddie
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #16 on: Oct 6th, 2004, 3:29pm »

i found a website today that considers 90/60 to be the mark at which they delcare you hypotensive - in other words, where it starts getting scary for you.
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
DerbyDemon
New Board Newbie
USA 

Pardon me. Is that a dagger in my head?

« Reply #17 on: Oct 7th, 2004, 5:37pm »

I don't know why...but what was the website for the blood pressure? And by the way...960mg of Verapamil for me.

But I'm Sherlock.
IP Logged
becky8

Email

« Reply #18 on: Oct 8th, 2004, 8:19pm »

960 of verapamil?? WOW!!!
IP Logged
Major_Headcase
New Board Veteran

« Reply #19 on: Oct 11th, 2004, 4:42pm »

480 units Verapamil during cycle with Prednisone taper ... my doc had kept me on 240/day Verapamil since my last cycle as both a preventitive and an high blood pressure med. Previous cycle I was up to 720 a day, cycle before that I think 240 day worked for me. I'll start tapering the Verapmil after about 6 weeks or shortly after a week of being CH symptom free, I've had extremely good results this cycle [knock on wood].  

-John
IP Logged
Valerie
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #20 on: Oct 11th, 2004, 5:27pm »

I just upped my dose from160 to 240 and it seems to be working a lot better.  My presciption is for 240 but in the past it made me feel really weird.  I think ramping up slowly to the 240 has done the trick for me.  I haven't gone higher than a K 4 in the last few days - I was having a lot of k8's and k9's last week.  I also hope this cycle is winding down Cheesy

Valerie
IP Logged
Longhaired Redneck

Email

« Reply #21 on: Oct 11th, 2004, 8:18pm »

Been on "Calan" verapamil, for 6 or 7 years, 360 mg daily, been very lucky, it has worked well as prevenative, will not work as abortive. With 02 I have been very lucky.
Originally it took 2 or 3 weeks in the cycle, then not sure if it was the verap. Pred broke the cycle . No words of wisdom. Sorry.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss