Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 12:52am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Do Cycles end with a bang or a whimper? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Do Cycles end with a bang or a whimper?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Do Cycles end with a bang or a whimper?  (Read 364 times)
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

Do Cycles end with a bang or a whimper?
« on: Oct 4th, 2004, 9:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi All,

It was suggested on another thread that it might be helpful to some if we described how our cycles come to a close.

Here's mine:

Cycle begins suddenly with a gradual ramping up of the number and intensity of HA's over a couple weeks.  Start Verapamil and Prednisone taper .  Imitrex Statdose becomes my savior.  

At peak of cycle, even with Verap, have at least 1-2 BAD ones needing Trex and shadows 24/7.

As meds really start to work, only an occasional HA requiring Trex.  Shadows gradually go from full time down to part-time, down to none.

Officially, I've had no visits from the beast since mid-June, and no shadows since early July, but I'm reducing the Verap VERY slowly.  An occasional "twinge" is enough to convince me to take no chances.

Anyone Else?

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Sean_C

Email

Re: Do Cycles end with a bang or a whimper?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 4th, 2004, 9:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

My cycles due soon, I don't want to jinx it and have it come sooner Grin

Thank god for the cold weather Wink

Sean....................
IP Logged
crazy_mj
New Board Junior
USA 

SSDD

« Reply #2 on: Oct 4th, 2004, 9:43pm »

I honestly can't tell you what exactly is going on with mine.  I have been under attack off and on again since around February I believe.  You know, time flies when you are having fun!!!
Anyway, I go for about five days take three or so days off, go for another five.  Sometimes I actually get a week off all together, which is pretty nice.  I actually forget that I have them when I have a good week like that.  It is a realy nice feeling. Grin
IP Logged
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 5th, 2004, 12:00am »

Kris,
 I dont think you or I are the only ones trying to figure these. There is no rhyme or reason. I have at one time or another in 25 years had them drop me to my knees with no warning. leave just as fast, cycles that change. Thought I was chronic one year. Cycle that hits hard fast and tapers and the other way around. Not to mention the variables to be considered. I think someone said on here more than once. The one thing you can count on is you cant count on these. No figuring it out. Comes and goes as it pleases. The last five years or so for me 2 cycles a year one month or so before or after the solstice,lasting 3 to four months. Good luck in your searh Grin
BB
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

« Reply #4 on: Oct 5th, 2004, 4:25am »

Mine come on very slowly, increase in intensity and frequency throughout the cycle till I'm ready to die, then they go away suddenly.
IP Logged

Chris
rubberplant
New Board Junior
United_Kingdom 

"Why me, why me, why me!?!?"

rubber.plant@mac.com
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 5th, 2004, 6:43am »

Come on suddenly and hard,

leave suddenly.  

two weeks overdue, bit anxious.

James
IP Logged

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
http://www.james-gardner.co.uk
plateglass
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 5th, 2004, 8:15am »

Mine will come on very slowly1-2 every 2 days or so...not really needing attention.  Within 1 week though they are usually at full force by that time I hope I've seen the neuro.  When they come to an end they end the same way very slowly taper off!  Hope it helps
IP Logged

Wouldn't it be easier if we just cut off your head?
EmpressJMB
New Board Veteran
USA 

No Brain, No Headache

« Reply #7 on: Oct 5th, 2004, 8:38am »

For 27 years I've tried to figure the rhyme and reason of them but no luck.  Mine slowly amp up, hit full force, then taper off to nothing.  I can count on cycles with the seasons but they can also hit at anytime, anywhere. Huh
IP Logged

...sometimes at night I think I understand. Brother to brother, man to man, face to face, hand to hand, the shadow dance that never ends. Shadow boxing the silent war within...yet again. Weir/Barlow
Tom K
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wait 5 days, but I'm angry now...

Paintba11z

« Reply #8 on: Oct 5th, 2004, 11:19am »

Mine come on out of nowhere, just like everyone else's.  Ramp from 1 a day to 5 a day within a week.  End pretty much the same way.  I know my cycle is ending because I go to a shadow a day then for a few days it feels like my eye brow is twinging.  Like a spasm or something, every few hours.  Then nothing.

T
IP Logged

"America, you're so fine, you're so fine, you blow my mind. America, America."-Bart Simpson
Valerie
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #9 on: Oct 5th, 2004, 11:23am »

Mine start with shadows, ramp up slowly until they hit their peak - usually getting 2-3 a day some at k 10, then they slowly taper off.  The last few days I usually get shadows that feel like they will turn into cha's but they never do - once about 3 days go by with no ha's I know it is over.  

I'm not sure what's happening this time around.
IP Logged
RPS
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #10 on: Oct 5th, 2004, 12:11pm »

My cycle typically starts in the months of Sept/Oct/Nov although my last cycle started toward the end of June.  First HA usually hits me when I am sleeping.  At that point I know its starting.  They usually ramp up and then slowly taper off.  I get the same thing as Tom K, shadows and the twinging eye brow feeling.  They finally just go away.
IP Logged
Jaime
New Board Newbie
USA 

Is this your ice pick stuck in my skull?

« Reply #11 on: Oct 6th, 2004, 10:09am »

I was the one who asked in another thread about this topic.  Thanks Kris for making it a new thread! Smiley

I don't know if knowing this information will be helpful, but it is interesting.  

My own attack started slow, ramping up over a week or two, lasted about 8 weeks,  and ended very abruptly.

Based on all of your stories,  the only thing to count on is the old Monty Python line: "When you least expect it - expect it!"
IP Logged
Ronny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Belgium 

Yabba Dabba Doo

maximus_imperius  
Email

« Reply #12 on: Oct 6th, 2004, 4:09pm »

Hi,

My cycles start with a nice full blown attack (out of nowhere) and end gradually, leaving with shadows day and night.  
This cycle is different, i dont take verapamil anymore. And now and then i get a twinge in my eye.  
From time to time (not very often) a HA and alcohol is still a major trigger. (almost 6 months now)

Ronny.
IP Logged

Count your rainbows, not your thunderstorms.
eddie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

PFDAN TO ALL

« Reply #13 on: Oct 6th, 2004, 11:28pm »

mine dont end it just goes lower on the kip scale

high kip 8 or 9  if im lucky down kip3 or 5
 but everyday i get hit for about 408 days  
 but since pred taper/ verapamil / imirex pill
    trex samples from doc,  i feel better than 5
  months ago. i get hit 2 times a day now k8
     Wink PFDAN TO ALL
IP Logged

PFDAN TO ALL>><< http://www.putfile.com/ededearl>>><music> http://www.myspace.com/pamneddie
EmpressJMB
New Board Veteran
USA 

No Brain, No Headache

« Reply #14 on: Oct 7th, 2004, 9:02am »

Not to get off the track but Eddie, you do some awsome stuff with the camera and cg! J.
IP Logged

...sometimes at night I think I understand. Brother to brother, man to man, face to face, hand to hand, the shadow dance that never ends. Shadow boxing the silent war within...yet again. Weir/Barlow
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss