Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 11:52pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « another attack in public :( »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   another attack in public :(
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: another attack in public :(  (Read 491 times)
Judo_Tom
New Board Newbie
USA 

Im really glad I found this place :)

TomLikesJudo
Email

another attack in public :(
« on: Oct 5th, 2004, 8:18am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

im very fustrated right now.  last nite was going great i went to work no problems and they told me my insurance would kick in soon. i went to judo and had a great workout.  I go out with some people afterwards for some food.  I start talking to a great girl at this bar having a really really great time laffing tellin stories it was really fun.... and then a twinge.. then some pressure.. well then the dance.. it sucked i went from having a great time to feeling like a complete psycho mental nutcase. people around me were starting to say the usual.. oh do this.. do that... breathe.. it will pass... DO YOU WANT SOME ASPIRIN?... well at least i composed my self for a sec and went outside.. my friend also gave me a bit of a neck massage which dulled or distracted things for a bit but i was not comfortable with her really doing that more out of my own insecurities iguess..i didnt know what to do.. people wanted to take me to a hospital or call an ambulance but i just got someone to call my sister who lucky for me only lived a fewmins away and has kittens so i guess it could be worse

i did try some nod med abortive things.. maybe with practice or something these would work but last nite they didnt..

1st chugging COLD redbull.. started to do something again maybe just a distraction who knows.. but after 2 glasses the pain was at a high and i had to keep dancin

2nd neck massage uppper back massage.. this worked to distract me. my friend is a massage therapist so maybe she knows something or maybe it was jsut knowing someone was willin to help or maybe the massage felt good but I couldnt keep it going and had to make her stop... probably a bad idea but i couldnt deal

3rd LIGHT neck massage on my carotid artery.  i only read about this for a bit and gave it a shot.. i had no idea what i was doing.. rubbing certain spots made it worse and some dulled it.. ill try again but at times it made it much nicer

4th barefeet cold tiles.. this freaked me out but it gave me some relief but again i couldnt stand there long enough to see if it was going to work much so i bailed

5th and when all else fails my favorite.. lock myself in my car and scream and thrash around in privacy Sad

ahh ok sorry to vent and blab it just sux.. ive had these attacks for years and had no idea what was going on.. just thought it was brain damage or something.. but now i know what it is but still dont have the meds and things i need so im buggin out to say the least

thanks for listening

Tom
IP Logged
Netherlands 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: another attack in public :(
« Reply #1 on: Oct 5th, 2004, 9:23am »

Sometimes no matter what you do or what meds you try it still gets through.  
When that happens I've learned to accept the fact that its gonna be realy bad for a short while and I gotta deal with it. The thing that works for me is to get myself into a sort of hypnotic state with real deep breathing and relaxing my entire body. It doesn't necessarily lessen the pain but it seems to shorten the length of the attack. The position I usually end up in is standing up straight in the middle of the floor with my arms crossed in front of my body and my head down. I've gotten good enough at it that I have almost fallen asleep standing up as the pain subsides.
I tried an abortive a couple of times w/o success and probably wouldn't use them again but I will use Verapamil as a preventative again.
IP Logged
Judo_Tom
New Board Newbie
USA 

TomLikesJudo
Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 5th, 2004, 10:40am »

thanks karma.

Yeah i need better mental focus during the attacks or im gonna be in trouble.. either hurting myself or doing something dumb.

but its real hard to stay focus and even remember what can stop the attack when it hits.. i totally forgot about the h2o and the exercising which is what i really wanted to try next attack.. but i remember barefeet and tile floor..???!!!???

maybe as this cycle progresses ill get better control.. i hope so.. i also think im gonna write down a bunch of stuff on an index card and carry it with me so when i have an attack illhave some instructions to follow..

IP Logged
thomas

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 5th, 2004, 10:59am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hot coffee can help sometimes too.
IP Logged
Tom K
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wait 5 days, but I'm angry now...

Paintba11z

« Reply #4 on: Oct 5th, 2004, 11:17am »

I second the hot coffee/espresso!  A few of those and I'm usually pretty ok.  If I can't get that, down 2 Mt Dew AMPs as fast as you can.  I have stopped a K4 dead in it's tracks.  What works for some, doesn't for others.  Sometimes what works for one CH doesn't even work for an attack on the same day,

T
IP Logged

"America, you're so fine, you're so fine, you blow my mind. America, America."-Bart Simpson
Valerie
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Oct 5th, 2004, 11:40am »

Tom,

Sorry you had to deal with that!  The beast has ruined a lot of good times.  If it makes you feel any better, I've had attacks in public and had to go to the car to be by myself - not fun!!

I hope you find relief soon,

Valerie
IP Logged
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 5th, 2004, 11:43am »

been there, done that and IT SUCKS!

"my sister who lucky for me only lived a few mins away and has kittens so i guess it could be worse"  
 Roll Eyes
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
don

Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 5th, 2004, 11:52am »

Next time you are in your car crank up the A/C and plant your puss right in front of it.
IP Logged
Netherlands 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Oct 5th, 2004, 12:03pm »

Cold air definately
2 double expressos and a single in about 45 minutes killed a sure thing in its tracks while out to dinner friday night.
Noticed you got hit a a bar but you didn't mention if you were drinking. Alcohol is a major trigger for most people.
« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2004, 12:05pm by karma » IP Logged
Judo_Tom
New Board Newbie
USA 

TomLikesJudo
Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 5th, 2004, 3:03pm »

ahhhhhh im soooo dumb..

i remember on teh way to the car thinking about the ac trick

but once i was in the car i lost control and forgot about it Sad

yeah this time at teh bar i didnt even drink i was gonna be good but it didnt matter

do must people just give up alcohol all together?
IP Logged
Netherlands 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #10 on: Oct 5th, 2004, 3:34pm »

I gave it up completely but most people just stop during cycle. For some its the ultimate test to see if it really over.
IP Logged
Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

« Reply #11 on: Oct 5th, 2004, 4:34pm »

Drinking alcohol in cycle is like hunting grizzly bears unarmed, dressed as a bag of groceries.
IP Logged

Chris
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Oct 5th, 2004, 4:43pm »

cold air in the face is one of the quickest ways to bring on an attack for me.

plus, in season, booze is out.  completely
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #13 on: Oct 5th, 2004, 5:11pm »

I've always used cold for relief. Many nights I've stood with bare feet on the cement patio sucking in winter air with an ice pack on my eye/temple/jaw.

If it happens again in a bar ask the bartender for a baggie of ice and stick it on you face.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
BlueMeanie

Email

« Reply #14 on: Oct 5th, 2004, 6:46pm »

Hi Tom,

Yea the public hits really SUCK. You definately need to get an abortive. It's like an American Express card, you never leave home without it.

Here are some things to take with you next time you go out:  

1. Imitrex, Zomig or any other abortive you may have a prescription for.

2. Ice packs (2 minimum) with cooler of ice.

3. Liquid drinks (Red Bull, Mt. Dew, Gatoraid, Water)

4. Excedirin Migraine aspirins. (They don't stop a cluster, but helps with the after effect of a major hit.)

5. Sunglasses

6. Box of Kleenex

7. Hard candy or gum

8. Hot coffee to go

9. Bath towel

10. 02 canister and mask if you can get a prescription.

Other than that, just make sure you have A.C. in vehicle and know where the exits and rest rooms are when you enter an establishment and be prepared for a mad dash to privacy.

It sucks having to think of all this stuff ahead of time. That's the life of a Clusterhead.  

PF vibes to ya Tom
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #15 on: Oct 5th, 2004, 9:47pm »

And a blow up doll. Well? Your gonna be real happy after the attack is over so..............................
« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2004, 9:48pm by don » IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #16 on: Oct 5th, 2004, 10:28pm »

on Oct 5th, 2004, 6:46pm, BlueMeanie wrote:
Hi Tom,

Yeah, the prepared thing, always.  Keep it in mind, the beast don't give a..... where, when, why or how.  

edit.  Don's an Eagle scout... extra prepared

Kevin M
« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2004, 10:31pm by Kevin_M » IP Logged
Judo_Tom
New Board Newbie
USA 

TomLikesJudo
Email

« Reply #17 on: Oct 6th, 2004, 1:14pm »

thanks for the great post.. this is alllll sooo new to me its crazy.. but ive been doing a ton of reading and trying to absorb as much as i can

that list will really really help me out

thanks again!!! this place is a life saver!!!!

on Oct 5th, 2004, 6:46pm, BlueMeanie wrote:
Hi Tom,

Yea the public hits really SUCK. You definately need to get an abortive. It's like an American Express card, you never leave home without it.

1. Imitrex, Zomig or any other abortive you may have a prescription for.

2. Ice packs (2 minimum) with cooler of ice.

3. Liquid drinks (Red Bull, Mt. Dew, Gatoraid, Water)

4. Excedirin Migraine aspirins. (They don't stop a cluster, but helps with the after effect of a major hit.)

5. Sunglasses

6. Box of Kleenex

7. Hard candy or gum

8. Hot coffee to go

9. Bath towel

10. 02 canister and mask if you can get a prescription.

Other than that, just make sure you have A.C. in vehicle and know where the exits and rest rooms are when you enter an establishment and be prepared for a mad dash to privacy.

It sucks having to think of all this stuff ahead of time. That's the life of a Clusterhead.  

PF vibes to ya Tom

IP Logged
Tom K
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wait 5 days, but I'm angry now...

Paintba11z

« Reply #18 on: Oct 6th, 2004, 2:14pm »

on Oct 5th, 2004, 4:34pm, Superpain wrote:
Drinking alcohol in cycle is like hunting grizzly bears unarmed, dressed in a meat suit.

Fixed it for ya!   laugh

T
IP Logged

"America, you're so fine, you're so fine, you blow my mind. America, America."-Bart Simpson
kb
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #19 on: Oct 9th, 2004, 10:27pm »

Tom:

I did the dance today at the national art museum in DC. Only had some Imitrex with me.  Didn't have the savior O2 tank that I keep under the bed.  Don't know if you've tried O2.  If not, try it. Follow the directions on this site (7-8 lpm, full face rebreather mask, don't use it for more than about 6-7 minutes or after the CH is gone) You'll need an "E" tank from your doc - need a Rx for it - and a high flow regulator.  No drugs.  Works faster than anything I've ever tried. I have the classic cluster symptoms.  If you've already tried this, sorry for wasting your time.

Ken  (good luck)
IP Logged
fullhead
New Board Newbie
USA 

GET UP OFFA THAT THANG & DANCE TILL YOU FEEL BETTA

Moorepain  
Email

« Reply #20 on: Oct 12th, 2004, 7:06pm »

I did the dance in church last Sunday morning. Are ya ready for this? I was supposed to speak! Needless to say, my wife clued in right away, grabbed me by the arm, took me into the lady's rr (its bigger than the men's) turned off the lights; got me the kleenex / ice water; moved everything out of my way (for pacing)
Then she went and told my assitant that he was going to be the speaker for that morning! (guess he did pretty good - they all decided to vote me out  Wink  I'm lucky enough to have a great wife! She takes care of me!

One time we were in Applebees w/ frineds and she got my food in a take out and rushed me to the van where I thrashed till we got home

I'm surprised to here the suggestions for caffeine! My vice is coffee and I usually have to give it up til the demon's gone...  

mark
IP Logged

Thought I was the only Wacko till I found yall!
Jonny

Email

« Reply #21 on: Oct 12th, 2004, 7:12pm »

on Oct 12th, 2004, 7:06pm, fullhead wrote:
I'm surprised to here the suggestions for caffeine! My vice is coffee and I usually have to give it up til the demon's gone...  

mark

Different strokes for different folks, Mark

In 30 years I have never found anything that will trigger a HA....go figure.

.....................................jonny
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss