Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 3:02am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Comorbidity of Cluster Headache »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Comorbidity of Cluster Headache
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Comorbidity of Cluster Headache  (Read 452 times)
ozzy
New Board Old Timer
USA 

As I Am

WWW Email

Comorbidity of Cluster Headache
« on: Oct 8th, 2004, 4:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Definition:

Comorbidity - Coexisting (usually chronic) conditions that may affect overall health and functional status beyond the effect(s) of the condition under consideration.

For the longest time I have suspected that most (or some) of us have another chronic condition as well as CH.

From informal polls among CHers I realize that I am not the only one that suffers from "stomach problems". I have read some accounts here from people from time to time, sometimes humurous, sometimes not so funny...s#it happens...

There is a clear link of 5HTP receptors and IBS for example (diff than the one affected by CH), however, I think that it may be the case that whatever CH is caused by, it may start in early development and/or childhood. That is, CH may present itself not so much as head pain, but as stomach pain and or diarrhea in early childhood.

I am not talking about yeast infections or detox or colonics, or any of that sort of stuff.  

Now think back, think now, make the link, let me know what you figure out...

Ozzy
IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

Re: Comorbidity of Cluster Headache
« Reply #1 on: Oct 8th, 2004, 4:45pm »

notta semblance of a resemblance here.

Kevin M
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 8th, 2004, 4:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Diagnosed with IBS, but it wasn't.  I have a dietary intolerance to fructose, which is similar to lactose intolerance (think gas, bloating, cramps, diarrhea).  Most  types of intolerances (lactose, fructose, gluten, xylitol, sorbitol, etc) lower the absorption of tryptophan; the lower blood levels of tryptophan translate to lower serotonin levels, less melatonin, etc which can cause anxiety, depression, etc.  

Coincidence?  I think not.  I don't have any idea how many of us have similar problems, probably a minority, but more than the general population.  Its worth thinking about this angle, might help some of us.  

Quote:
Scand J Gastroenterol. 2001 Apr;36(4):367-71.  

Fructose malabsorption is associated with decreased plasma tryptophan.

Ledochowski M, Widner B, Murr C, Sperner-Unterweger B, Fuchs D.

Dept. of Clinical Nutrition, Institute for Medical Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Innsbruck, Austria. maximilian.ledochowski@uibk.ac.at

BACKGROUND: Fructose malabsorption is characterized by the inability to absorb fructose efficiently. As a consequence fructose reaches the colon where it is broken down by bacteria to short fatty acids, CO2, H2, CH4 and lactic acid. Bloating, cramps, osmotic diarrhea and other symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome are the consequence and can be seen in about 50% of fructose malabsorbers. Recently it was found that fructose malabsorption was associated with early signs of depressive disorders. Therefore, it was investigated whether fructose malabsorption is associated with abnormal tryptophan metabolism. METHODS: Fifty adults (16 men, 34 women) with gastrointestinal discomfort were analyzed by measuring breath hydrogen concentrations after an oral dose of 50 g fructose after an overnight fast. They were classified as normals or fructose malabsorbers according to their breath H2 concentrations. All patients filled out a Beck depression inventory questionnaire. Blood samples were taken for plasma tryptophan and kynurenine measurements. RESULTS: Fructose malabsorption (breath deltaH2 production >20 ppm) was detected in 35 of 50 individuals (70%). Subjects with fructose malabsorption showed significantly lower plasma tryptophan concentrations and significantly higher scores in the Beck depression inventory compared to those with normal fructose absorption. CONCLUSIONS: Fructose malabsorption is associated with lower tryptophan levels that may play a role in the development of depressive disorders. High intestinal fructose concentration seems to interfere with L-tryptophan metabolism, and it may reduce availability of tryptophan for the biosynthesis of serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine). Fructose malabsorption should be considered in patients with symptoms of depression and disturbances of tryptophan metabolism.
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2004, 4:51pm by floridian » IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 8th, 2004, 5:04pm »

I have coeliac disease and as a result of the  CD being untreated through no symptoms at first I have also got ulcerative colitis and collagenous colitis (all that collagen.. I must have the most wrinkle free innards in the world!!) I also have osteomalacia (not as a result of the CD)
I was diagnosed with osteomalacia in '99 after breaking ribs four times in as many months but not with the CD until this year.
This fits with your other chronic conditions theory but not the from childhood bit. The only childhood disease I had was inflammation of the imagination on school days with tests in them!!
PS Floridian, for the first few months of being GF  I had to be lactose free too as, if you have damage to your stomach, lactose can aggravate it or stop it healing
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

kimh
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

What don't kill ya makes ya stronger

Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 8th, 2004, 5:28pm »

I'm thinking back and can recall certain "unrelated" events and the like...

i remember reading a post (i think Floridian put it out) that may be of interest in regards to this subject.  Ting is.........i forgot the post title Huh  LOL.  It had to do with the theory of a virus of some sort whose origins may have begun long b4 the manifestation of what would later be known to us as clusters.  
IP Logged
BlueMeanie

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 8th, 2004, 5:59pm »

on Oct 8th, 2004, 4:45pm, Kevin_M wrote:
notta semblance of a resemblance here.

Kevin M

Ditto.  

Never been to a hospital and a doctor only for an ear ache once. Other than for CH's.
IP Logged
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 8th, 2004, 7:14pm »

I'll admit to lactose intollerance.  Chronic loose stools all of my adult life (till verap that is... Undecided)   due to all the foods that contain lactose as an additive even if I don't drink milk or eat fresh dairy products.  the more aged the milk product the less it effects me.
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
Jonny

Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 8th, 2004, 7:28pm »

42 yrs old, never been in the hospital for more than 2 hours, never had surgery, never had a broken bone (Although ive broken many Grin)

Am I in the right thread?

...................................jonny
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 8th, 2004, 7:34pm »

Wow.. I hope you were touching wood, holding your lucky rabbits paw and avoiding black cats like the plague whilst typing that!!
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

kimh
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 8th, 2004, 7:57pm »

I remember being in the hospital lots of times due to broken bones and crash related stuff but that's not what i'm talking about.  I don't think that's the issue.  I think the POINT is that somewhere somehow in our past a virus COULD have gone undetected that later manifested.  Do i know this?  NOPE.  Is there proof?  Nope.  But it's been duly noted in my "I dunt fuckin know library".  Who knows really?  I sure dunt and i ain't relyin on memory or broken bones - or anything at awl - really....
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2004, 8:00pm by kimh » IP Logged
becky8

Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 8th, 2004, 8:25pm »

Nothing with me, I was always active and pretty healthy. I don't smoke or really drink (Now not at all) and workout. And it STINKS!!! I should have party more, cause now look at me with this crazy CH thing going on. Undecided confused confused
IP Logged
ozzy
New Board Old Timer
USA 

As I Am

WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 8th, 2004, 9:46pm »

Just to be clear, I wasn't talking about being diagnosed with something that requires hospitalization or anything like that.

I was talking about just general, but "chronic" stomach problems.

I think, like Floridian said, fructose, lactose or any other kind of food intolerances may be key to part if not much of what affect us with CH.

I think in the case of Episodics, it would be easier to correlate times of cycles and times of stomach problems...

Just thinking...

Ozzy
IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #12 on: Oct 8th, 2004, 9:51pm »

No stomach intolerances here (Thank you, Jesus!)

I'm a gourmet cook by hobby.  Can cook (and eat) anything except tongue .... just something about tongue that's not very appetizing.  Sorry - I'm not helping, am I?

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #13 on: Oct 8th, 2004, 11:43pm »

Sorry, nothing like that here.  

Gator
IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Oct 9th, 2004, 12:06am »

Thanks for using a big word like comorbidity, Oz. It really catches the Professional eye..........but only confuses a rutting stoat like me.

Lactose intolerant here, since youth. IBS too, since my early 40's. Combine them, and and you don't want me making no poopoo-cake in Your outhouse.

on Oct 8th, 2004, 9:51pm, Kris_in_SJ wrote:
just something about tongue that's not very appetizing.

OK...girlfriends are out for you, Kris. End of the line, please.

The tryptophan thing is interesting. Guess that's why I can eat a whole drumstick/thigh assembly, along with all the crispy skin on the breast, and not need a nap.

I'm shooting a cat for Thanksgiving,
RJ

IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
kimh
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #15 on: Oct 9th, 2004, 12:17am »

Lets face it.  It's a BAaaad word and we don't like it ....notone lil bit.   Just make note of the Big Words and put the rest in yer "I dun't fuckin know" log.

LACTOSE INTOLERANT. Shocked

Pepto
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2004, 12:18am by kimh » IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #16 on: Oct 9th, 2004, 6:05am »

I have a chronic case of skinny. I'm hoping to out grow it and die fat.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss