Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 1:49am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Here we go again.. »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Here we go again..
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Here we go again..  (Read 299 times)
dafreeman
New Board Newbie
USA 

Here we go again..
« on: Oct 9th, 2004, 10:09am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hell everyone!
I'm new here although I have visited out of curiosity in the past.  
Unfortunately, I'm here now because *they* have returned. I went nearly 6 years without a cluster! I was hoping these were a thing of the past but secretly new that they could return at any time.  
Recently (last 7-10 days), I was getting a small headache at night (right around 6-7 pm). Typical attributes of the cluster, it was on the right side only, behind the eye, etc. But they never reached the excruciating pain level. After a few nights of this I began to worry that it meant the clusters were returning. Well, last night at 3 a.m. they did and it was not fun. All I can say is thank god it was over after about 30 minutes. The only thing I could think of was ice. This seemed to only make it worse because you just cannot touch that side of the head at all! All I could do was *try* to remain still and ride it out. I was so relieved when it passed. I even got back to sleep! Smiley
So, even though I'm hoping this won't turn into another 4 week period  Roll Eyes(seems about how long the cycle lasts for me if memory serves), I'm bracing myself for what I know lies ahead.  Undecided I know some deal with this more often than I, so I should be very thankful for the 6 years I was free.
Wish me luck!
IP Logged
Ruth
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

Re: Here we go again..
« Reply #1 on: Oct 9th, 2004, 10:25am »

Are you trying anything for the pain any kind of medication?
Ruth
IP Logged
hotprestwich
New Board Junior
England 

Fuck the devil

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 9th, 2004, 11:28am »

6 years pain free, man you give me hope,
sorry to hear the beast is back,  
wishing u pain free days and nights Smiley
IP Logged

In heaven there is no beer so why not drink it while we´re here
kb
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Oct 9th, 2004, 10:14pm »

Hope you're not back in the game but if you are.. (I too just joined the ranks of CH kids again after about 8 months off) make sure you try oxygen.  Follow the directions on this web site.  For me, the O2 will kill the CH in about 5-7 minutes.  No drugs. Go back to sleep and not pound my head on the wall.  

Good luck.

Ken
IP Logged
BlueMeanie

Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 10th, 2004, 12:01am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

WELCOME !!  Sorry to hear your Clusters are back.  

I advise you to make an appointment with a Neuro fast.  
It could take awhile before actually getting in to see someone. You should start preparing NOW for what's to come. Check the medical info.  

You may want a prevent & an abortive med to help you get through this cycle with as little pain as possible. If you're LUCKY and only get a 4 week cycle you'll probably be o.k., but that's a very short cycle for most Clusterheads.

02 is a good start, but unfortunately it doesn't always work as with the other CH meds. Read as much as you can. I hope you get some valuable info to help you through these rough times.

Good Luck
IP Logged
dafreeman
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Oct 10th, 2004, 8:54am »

Ruth,
No, I haven't tried anything for the pain except ice (since they started again). In the past, I had tried asprin/ibuprofen without success, of course. Interestingly, during the last episode years ago, I had percocet left over from a recent surgery (I don't like taking pain pills unless truly needed so I had a lot left). Well, 1/2 a tablet did *seem* to work to kill the pain.  We've long since thrown those away though, so I don't really have a lot of options at the moment. I did read somwhere that prednisone can help and I have one tablet left of that from my seasonal grass allergies. Maybe that will work for the next one? Undecided
I will be making a Dr. appt, but it'll be the first one for this specifically, so I'm not sure where we'll start.
The good news though is that I DID NOT have one last night (or yesterday at all)! Cheesy
Regards,
Doug

IP Logged
Ruth
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 10th, 2004, 10:39am »

Hi Doug,
I am glad to hear you have had a little break, but I would be you are in for some more pain, so getting to a GOOD Doctor as fast as you can is a very good idea.
There has never been a pain pill that has worked for me. I use imetrex injections to abort the CH. I use the imitrex tip at the right of the screen. This cycle I have done two prednisone tapers and used a channel blocker, but I don't think I was given the right one. I read on the posts that verapamel is the one to use and that is no what I was given.  So my prevents have not been very affective. I have yet to try to O2.
There are alot more informed people on this site than I am, so read and read some more.
I see a nuero on the 19th, should have started there first, but better late than never.
I no how you feel after being pain free for 6 years. My big break was as I said about 9 and half. I really believed they were gone forever. Silly me! Never again will I be so pompous as to believe that the devil is dead.
Talk about a humbling smack of reality.
Hang tough guy and lots of people here wishing you well.
Ruth
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss