Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 12:51am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Imitrex »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Imitrex
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Imitrex  (Read 350 times)
trisha
New Board Newbie
USA 

Imitrex
« on: Oct 14th, 2004, 4:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hey from Maui.  I am in such a bad cycle.  They are coming at 830pm back at midnight sometimes 3.  If I take an imitrex at 1st one i usually make it through night w/o another.  I don't have 02.  I only have imitrex pills and nasal but how many do others here take a week?  I don't want to over do it but it hurts so freaking bad.  I have never been to er as i live in Maui and er is an hour drive away.  It would be gone by then anyway.  I just do the dance, cry, wail, pace, a/c, ice, hot.  All distractions I know.  Been going since Aug 30th so I am hoping to be done soon. Got 1 pain free night 10/8 and the most frustrating thing is I did nothing different (including food) that day than any other day.  RAAAAA.
 I get 9 pills + 6 nasals a month.  Don't do shots.  Yuck.  Just wondering how many imitrex others take.  

Aloha from maui.
IP Logged
Tom K
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wait 5 days, but I'm angry now...

Paintba11z

Re: Imitrex
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14th, 2004, 4:56pm »

Hi Trisha, sorry you're hurting.  I have spoken with my neuro and take as much as I need.  I don't suggest that until you speak with someone.  I would not take more than the max per day.  The week max has not been proven one way or the other.  BUT, that being said, I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV.  Check with your doc and see what they say.  Try the injectible.  It isn't as bad as you may think.  Actually it is the same idea behind an EpiPen for allergies.  Quick and pretty painless.  I can't stress enough that you really should speak to your doc.  I don't want someone to have a problem then have that on my consciece!

T
IP Logged

"America, you're so fine, you're so fine, you blow my mind. America, America."-Bart Simpson
trisha
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Oct 14th, 2004, 5:40pm »

Thanks.  I will talk to my doc.  On maui I am having a hard time finding a neuro that is any good.  I have done these for 3 years already and I am frustrated.  Have tried diet etc to no avail.  I still smoke so I am quitting to say I've tried it all.  Down to 1/2 pack a day now.  I won't rely on you for diagnosis don't worry.  Just wondering what others take.  I don't want to be on any preventative meds as they have so many side effects and it's a game of which will work.  Just waiting it out and taking as needed.  Never drink.  Have heard mixed things on Paxil helping/hurting?  I already take 20mgs thinking of uping to 40.  Taking multi vitamin and magnesium.  Tried melatonin, didn't work well i found i was just sleepy and in pain? Anyone here of diet coke being helpful or hurtful.  (i love diet coke).  It's so scarry waiting for the devil when I know it's comign.  AHHH.  I have 2 young boys.  I always hide from them as I don't want them to see me like that.  My husband feels horrible as there is nothing he can do. Seen posts on sex helping.  Not for me.  I wish.  The thought of doing that in so much pain is crazyness.
Well any other home remedies anyone has I'd love to hear em.  I read somewhere in my multitude of research that having your hands warm helps?  I have seen so many "it works" things.  Some r very funny!  laughlaugh
IP Logged
Valerie
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Oct 14th, 2004, 5:50pm »

Hi Trisha!

Welcome to the board, sorry you have to be here.

I also have 2 young boys and try to stay away from them when being attacked.  I would suggest trying to at least find a good doctor who knows or is willing to learn about clusters.  I have had these for 24 years (since I was 12) and suffered for a long time without a diagnosis.  I have tried to make sense of it and nothing does.  Everyone is different, but for me diet does not trigger the ha's.   I drink a lot of diet coke and find caffeine helps some, but not much.  Melatonin works for me at the beginning and end of my cylce, but at it's peak it doesn't do much - I take 6 mg a night.  I took the Imitrex ns during my last cycle and was told not to take more than 2 times in 24 hours or more than 3 days/week.  I tried to conserve it, but when your're in a lot of pain it's hard.  This cylce I am taking Zomig and have not had the same side effects I got with Imitrex.  Again everyone responds differently - it's important to work with a doctor.  Verapamil is a good preventative as well.

I hope this helps, by the way - I LOVE MAUI  Smiley

Valerie
IP Logged
cwp2002
New Board Newbie
USA 

Take the bag off your head!

cwperry2002  

« Reply #4 on: Oct 14th, 2004, 6:57pm »

Valerie,
I am looking for help as well and don't care for meds (as well as anyone else in here) What kind of side effects do you get with imitrex and Zomig? Going to the Neuro Next Tues, Need to know some Questions and arm myself with info.
IP Logged

Son! Take the bag off of your head and the spoons out of your shoes!
Guido
New Board Junior
USA 

The Miracle is in the moment

guidoguy53  
Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 14th, 2004, 7:12pm »

I got my script for Imitrex ( nasal )almost 2 weeks ago. As it turns out I have needed a snort most every night. I have 2 left from my first refill. I called today and got another. So far so good. Mine says not to do another within 2 hours of each other. It also says not to treat more then 4 headaches amonth....LOL. So far I have done 10 in about 12 days. When I am wakened by the beast I need Imitrex and o2 10-15 lpm for 15-20 minutes. That is all that worked for me so far. I, like you am hoping I am at the end of what I think is an episode. I got these 3 years ago and never found out what I had.
Like has been so STRONGLY suggested here. See a doc, one that you can get to understand what the hell your hell is like.
Glad and sad your here.
Guido
IP Logged

He will come. You may put him off for awhile but, he will come. headbanger
yikes-another-one
New Board Old Timer
USA 

dancenshout2002   joyflheart2004
Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 14th, 2004, 8:23pm »

I took 2.5 mg of the zomig....
and it would take about 20 minutes to get relief,
but it would take care of a 24 hour period  - pain free
and then maybe the nexdt day I would have to take it again....but it would cut the cycle short.

Instead of two weeks of headaches,  
whenever I took it, within a day or two the attacks  
stopped....and I went into "remission"...

my headaches would last 45-70 minutes, so taking it
when the pain reached a 7 or an 8 and waiting the 20  
minutes didn't seem like a hardship to me.

Some of the people on here say that
Imitrex shots will work within 5 - 7 minutes....

I did try Imitrex nasal spray, and it made the pain
disappear, but the "pressure" or "shadows" hung
around for the full 2 weeks....and did not disappear
until the end of the "usual" cycle.

Everyone is different, though, and you will have to try
and find something that works for you.

Good luck.  Seems the melatonin and O2 are
worth a shot or two....as the sumatriptans are
pretty expensive and have a long list of cautions  
on their side effects.....  

My prayers are with you ....that you find knowledge,
 relief and lots of pain free days and nights.

God Bless you!
IP Logged

Psalm 23 - Goodness and mercy shall follow US all the days of our lives and WE will dwell in the house of LOVE forever.
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 14th, 2004, 9:29pm »

Hi,

Sorry you are in such pain.

Most people find the Imitrex pills to be totally useless ... by the time they start to work, the HA is gone.  NS is better for most - statdose injects are the best.  You might say "ick" but they're easy, painless, and total pain relief is usually less than 5 minutes away.

O2 is the next best alternative.  Hope you're also on a preventative?  If not, you should be - Verapamil is the drug that seems to help many here.  Also, Prednisone in a tapering down dose can help until the preventative kicks in.  Maybe you could suggest next time you visit the doc.

Wishing you many PFDAN!

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Valerie
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Oct 14th, 2004, 10:41pm »

I HATE taking drugs...other than these f@#%ing ha's (sorry) I'm a very healthy, active person.  I told my doctor that's probably the only time she'll see me.

For me, the Imitrex ns worked about 50% of the time, when it did it knocked the ha out in about 5 min - it made me feel jittery and tired, but it was MUCH better than the ha.  I'm now taking Zomig 5mg rapid dissolving tablets.  You pop one in your mouth and it melts away -  
it tastes like baby aspirin.  For me it's been working in about 5 - 7 min and kept me ha free for 12-24 hours (with some shadows).  I took it everyday last week, but haven't had any since Sat.  I hope my cycle is coming to an end (please, please, please  Smiley)  Try to read as much as you can here, other people have had different results.  I've been taking 240mg of verapamil and I really think that is helping.  I only took 160 mg for the first 2 weeks and it didn't do anything for me - it also takes a while to kick in.  Many people do the prednisone taper while waiting for the verapamil to kick in.  I have found that it kills the headaches for the first few days, but once I start the taper they come back - I don't know if it's worth the risk Undecided

I've turned into a windbag here, but I hope it helps - it's just been my experience.  There's no need to suffer if there are meds that can kick the demon's ass!

Best of luck to you all!

Valerie
IP Logged
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #9 on: Oct 15th, 2004, 9:22am »

The Imitrex pills and nasal spray probably work great for migraines but in my personal experience they are absolutely useless for CH.

I also thought "yuck" about the injections until I tried them. They are f......in fantastic! Total relief for me in about 5-10 mins. The first few times you might feel a bit wierd after taking it but you get used to it and now I just feel relief.

If you don't get adverse reactions to the pil or ns I doubt if the inj will be a problem. Go for it!

John
IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
DerbyDemon
New Board Newbie
USA 

Pardon me. Is that a dagger in my head?

« Reply #10 on: Oct 15th, 2004, 10:57am »

Not to beat a dead horse, but I hated needles myself but not as much as I hated the feeling of a sizzling hot poker behind my right eye.  

In fact, because of the dosage limitations of Imitrex, I've started getting it in vials and individual syringes and injecting 2mg myself thus conserving this liquid gold over a longer period of time (Statdose/individual injections are 6mg).

I actually got that tip from one of you guys. Thanks.
IP Logged
EvertBoer
New Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 15th, 2004, 4:38pm »

My question is whether using a vial is cheaper than using the kits. I buy the imitrex shots from drugstore.com for $322.35 for 3 boxes, or 6 shots. I only use 1/2 a shot for a cluster headache (or 3 mg), so for that 322.35 I get 12 shots which is about $26.00 a shot.  Does anybody have any comparisons with the vial?  Thanks.
IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #12 on: Oct 15th, 2004, 9:01pm »

I think you're fortunate to have access to the multidose vials.  Not everyone does.  Afraid I don't have a cost comparison though ... anyone else?

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #13 on: Oct 15th, 2004, 11:07pm »

Mushrooms anyone????? At least organic. Many have found relief, going to try them myself.
BB
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #14 on: Oct 16th, 2004, 12:40am »

on Oct 15th, 2004, 4:38pm, EvertBoer wrote:
My question is whether using a vial is cheaper than using the kits. I buy the imitrex shots from drugstore.com for $322.35 for 3 boxes, or 6 shots. I only use 1/2 a shot for a cluster headache (or 3 mg), so for that 322.35 I get 12 shots which is about $26.00 a shot.  Does anybody have any comparisons with the vial?  Thanks.

In Stillwater, OK the statdose kits run about $135 - that gives you two 6mg shots. The single dose 6mg vial costs $115.  Makes absofukenlutely no sense to me or to my pharmacist, but that is the price here.

I use the vial, because my insurance company will give me 4 statdose kits or 10 vials a month.  It takes 3mg to work for me, so the choice was easy 16 aborts or 20 aborts.  My price is the same either way.  I'll take the extra 4 aborts.

I hate needles, but I hate a ch worse.  After you get past your first self injection, you'll bever go back.  Trust me, with a .5 cc insulin syringe with a 31 guage short needle, you don't hardly feel a thing.  Much less painful than the stat dose injector.

Experiment with what works for you.  Good luck and don't fear the needle.

Gator
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss