Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 2:05am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « MRI today and nervous about results.. »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   MRI today and nervous about results..
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: MRI today and nervous about results..  (Read 284 times)
Reese
New Board Junior

Who's the beeoch now?

Email

MRI today and nervous about results..
« on: Oct 15th, 2004, 3:58pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi,I finally found a good neurologist and after 2 hours of testing motor skills and talking about my headaches she diagnosed me classic cluster headaches.Ive had these for about 5 years now.She sent me for a mri today of my head.She said the possibility of abnormal test is very slim.I have a bad cold right now and had to hold back my cough during the mri which was tough.Anyways,after the test the technician asked me how long Ive been sick and I told her about 4 days,then she asked me how long have I been getting these headaches and I said about 5 years,she then just kinda looked at me weird and said Im all set and can go.Am I being paranoid thinking she saw something on the scan? Its gonna be a long weekend waiting for these results. Please give me an opinion.
IP Logged

"Mommy,that man is scaring me":quoted by young eye-witness of a Kip 10
Netherlands 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: MRI today and nervous about results..
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15th, 2004, 4:06pm »

I wouldn't worry. I may be wrong but I don't think there is a single person on this board that had anything come out of an MRI.  
Finding the brain may be difficult in a few but once its found it looks normal. Doc needed an electronic microscope to find mine but whats there is as abnormal as ever.
IP Logged
DerbyDemon
New Board Newbie
USA 

Pardon me. Is that a dagger in my head?

« Reply #2 on: Oct 15th, 2004, 4:19pm »

Take a deep breadth. You are being overly paranoid. All your worries might bring on a CH.

As with Karma, the only surprise they found with my MRI was that I had a brain at all.  
IP Logged
ExplodingEyeBall
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I can't think of anything clever to put here.

« Reply #3 on: Oct 15th, 2004, 4:26pm »

I doubt that the technician is trained enough to know from a quick glance (which is all she probably had a chance to get if it was right after the test) if there is something wrong.

MRIs are only used by your neuro to make sure that there are no other problems before prescribing any meds. If there IS a problem, it could show up there and your doc would know that maybe it's being caused by something else.

As far as the look you got from the tech, most people just don't get it when you tell them you have been getting bad HAs for this long. Somtimes, they think your lying or that your a wimp that can't handle a little head ache.

I'd chalk up her weird look to being uneducated about CH and leave it at that.

Your neuro is trained to look at MRI results and the technician probably isn't.

I wouldn't worry about it at all.
IP Logged

Just poke out my eye and get it over with!!!
Valerie
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Oct 15th, 2004, 4:35pm »

I wouldn't worry about it - my neuro told me that if I had a brain tumor I would already be dead because I was having headaches for so long.

I'm sure you are fine and the tech has no clue Wink

I hope you get relief soon!

Valerie
IP Logged
cschick

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 15th, 2004, 4:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I would have to agree with everyone else on this one.  Don't stress about the MRI because it can bring on a CH.  Don't want that!!  

As for the wierd look - I know exactly what you are talking about and people giving you strange looks is part of the joy of having Clusters!  People look at me like I am insane when I explain them.  If someone doens't get them they don't and won't understand.  That's what you got US for!!  We understand!

If you want to get your worries out - go for it better than keeping them locked up and bringing on the CH!

Keep your chin up!

Karen
IP Logged
godsjoy777
New Board Veteran
USA 

HIS name is above clusters

godsjoy777  
Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 15th, 2004, 6:20pm »

My Neuro NP  asked about ever having an MRI or MRA....I told her about one that I had done a couple of years ago at a certain hospital....but I really wasn't sure now that I think about it if it was an MRI or MRA.....She said that only an MRA would really be a significant test for me....so I called and got the records transferred to her so she could look....IF it was only an MRI....she'll order an MRA....The arteries is what she wants to see up close and personal......sooooooo......Though I deffinately have cluster's.....the fact that my Mom had a cerebral hemorage that was the result of an aneurism she didn't know about.....She also had bad headaches....I can't tell you what kind as it was sooooo long ago and I was so very young...

Blessings,
Karen (not the same as above-abviously  Smiley)
IP Logged
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 15th, 2004, 6:34pm »

MRIs are part of the catalog of impressive looking tests neurologists use to cover their scrawny butts when diagnosing. Not to worry needlessly.  You'll do all right.

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
Reese
New Board Junior

Who's the beeoch now?

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 15th, 2004, 6:47pm »

Thanks I feel better already.Now maybe I will enjoy my weekend until I get the results.Thanks again
IP Logged

Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #9 on: Oct 15th, 2004, 10:54pm »

That's the spirit.  Like everyone has said, the MRI is more to cover the neuro's arse than to check for something causing the h/a besides ch.  I've only heard of one person on this board that ever found anything except cobwebs in an MRI.

After all the failed meds and tests that didn't show anything, I actually hoped the MRI WOULD show something just so I'd know the pain wasn't all in my head, uh, so to speak.  Like everyone else here, the MRI showed nothing.  LOL  

Enjoy the weekend.

Gator
IP Logged
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 15th, 2004, 10:59pm »

The look I got as well  Grin Probably wondering what your getting an MRI for because it was negative..Dont worry  Grin
BB
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
thudpucker
New Board Junior
USA 

There's a shadow hanging over me.

Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 16th, 2004, 3:28am »

I had an MRI about two weeks ago after being diagnosed two years ago.  My doc didn't insist on the MRI until I told him I wanted to talk about meds.  "Completely normal," the doc reported back a couple of days later.

About ten years ago, as I was walking out of the office after a routine chest X-ray, the technician, a young woman, looked at me and said, "Good luck."  I didn't sleep for three nights until the results came back.  I coulda smacked the tech.  Bad behavior on her part.
IP Logged
yikes-another-one
New Board Old Timer
USA 

dancenshout2002   joyflheart2004
Email

« Reply #12 on: Oct 16th, 2004, 8:44am »

Lots of time, they jsut don't have the social skills
or bedside manner it takes.

They want to do some smal talk,  
and we just over think the meanings.

The tech probably was curious about why you
had the MRI, and just chated for the time it took
to sit you up on your feet.

It's hard not to listen for clues,
but like the others said, the tech didn't
have a chance to look at it thoroughly....
so NO WORRIES!!!!!!!

Wink
IP Logged

Psalm 23 - Goodness and mercy shall follow US all the days of our lives and WE will dwell in the house of LOVE forever.
Reese
New Board Junior

Who's the beeoch now?

Email

« Reply #13 on: Oct 16th, 2004, 4:27pm »

I know I probably was looking to hear some shit like "everythings perfect" from this 18 year old tech. who probably knows less than me about brain issues.However,I think all medical assistant people should be taught that down-sizing health concerns would greatly reduce anxiety in people being tested with "non-immediate result" testing.Anticipation can drive some people mad.Im good now,but still cant wait to hear from the Dr. Monday.Thanx guys
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss