Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 3:45am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Occupations &  CH's »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Occupations &  CH's
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Occupations &  CH's  (Read 1024 times)
Connie
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

Occupations &  CH's
« on: Oct 15th, 2004, 8:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I seem to have become obsessed with CH.  Reading and researching and always looking for that something.    

Just wondering is there maybe a link between occupations and CH.  Not sure if there have been studies on this,  but I have not found any.

My hubby is a police officer.  

Just looking for anything.

Connie

IP Logged

Connie
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

Re: Occupations &  CH's
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15th, 2004, 8:21pm »

No real use looking.......the possibilities are endless.....but it's fun, none the less. Proper treatment is our best shot. The cure will come from the Human Genome project 20 or 30 yrs from now, or some schmuck will find the answer (by mistake) trying to create the perfect rolling paper next month.

Go with the flow,
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 15th, 2004, 8:55pm »

Actually Connie, I think it's an interesting thread subject.  Probably nothing will come of it, but maybe we'll all learn a little bit more about each other.

In my life, I have been many things.  First, an emergency room nurse (14 yrs) - burn out!  Then got my business degree and became the executive director of a nonprofit org.  (10 yrs) - burn out!  I now work for myself doing marketing communications and graphic design work.  Set my own hours and have only 1 employee - me!  Still stressful, but a different kind of stress.  Still having cluster HA's.

Does the occupation matter?  Probably not, but it's fun to speculate!

Hugs,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Tom K
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wait 5 days, but I'm angry now...

Paintba11z

« Reply #3 on: Oct 15th, 2004, 9:27pm »

Worked in printing/bindery for 12 years, burnt, went back to school, changed majors 4 times, went to culinary school, have been doing that for 9 years...not burnt, yet.  Always wanted to be a cop...does that count?  Grin  Maybe a quick boredom, is a more common trait.

T
IP Logged

"America, you're so fine, you're so fine, you blow my mind. America, America."-Bart Simpson
cschick

Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 15th, 2004, 10:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

CSR for health insurance company, have been CSR since getting out of High School 11 years ago.  Starting nursing school in the spring.  Oh yeah and a Mom.  That counts as a job, right? Cheesy
IP Logged
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 15th, 2004, 10:55pm »

I read somewhere ,can't recall presently, most are professional technical professions. Am I close here.
BB
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
alleyoop
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wake me up when it's all over.

alleyoop_49  

« Reply #6 on: Oct 16th, 2004, 12:46am »

I was diagnosed chronic at age 50(the only other time I remember having these things was about age 12-14). I had just taken a job working with explosives. I used to blame it on the ammonium nitrate. I know better now.

Actually, I think Tom K may have been on to something when he said, "Maybe a quick boredom is a more common trait."

.................alley
IP Logged

I know that the Good Lord won't put any more on you than you can stand, but sometimes I wish He weren't quite so PROUD of ME!
don

Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 16th, 2004, 7:25am »

Crash Test Dummy
IP Logged
Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's always darkest before the dawn.

tara_ann_77  
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 16th, 2004, 7:46am »

I've been a McDonalds Cashier, Grocery Cashier, Telemarketer, Machinest, Daycare Teacher, and now Private Nurse.  Thinking about taking some Machining classes soon and getting back into that also thinking about photography.  The different things I've done for work are just so different from eachother!  Oh can't forget mommy of 2.  I don't think career choices have anything to do with CH but I agree with Kris, it's neat to hear what everyone does.
IP Logged

http://www.myspace.com/taraann77
Renee
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

May we all find some pf time!  Is it summer yet?

Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 16th, 2004, 8:01am »

On the weekends my horses think I'm a professional poop scooper.  During the week my dog thinks I exist to transport her back and forth to work.  Actually I started at McDonald's way back when, worked thru school, Master's degree and now celebrating 20th anniversary as founder of national corporation.

I suppose the burn out theory fails for me.  Huh
IP Logged

23 years of battling the beast, 9 years chronic......uneducated docs/nurses make me irate.
The fungus among us is for real!

yikes-another-one
New Board Old Timer
USA 

dancenshout2002   joyflheart2004
Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 16th, 2004, 8:39am »

Lets see, dog sitter, babysitter, cashier, office temp,  
carnival game shows, Day Care teacher...

i even helped for 3 years to sell Irish dance shoes....
at Rutherford Products.

Boredom, or just "tired or being a doormat"

you guys choose....lol

i still think head injury and accidental electric shocks
are our best targets....besides allergies and a
as-yet-undiscovered form of epilepsy....

IP Logged

Psalm 23 - Goodness and mercy shall follow US all the days of our lives and WE will dwell in the house of LOVE forever.
EmpressJMB
New Board Veteran
USA 

No Brain, No Headache

« Reply #11 on: Oct 16th, 2004, 8:45am »

Started in Restaurants, got degree, 10 years of people yelling at me at Blue Cross and Blue Shield (senior customer service rep for 10 years). Burnt out on that. Now I work at my friends restaurant/bar...office manager, bartender, pie maker.  Oh yea! The most important and difficult job I've ever had... A MOM!  J.
IP Logged

...sometimes at night I think I understand. Brother to brother, man to man, face to face, hand to hand, the shadow dance that never ends. Shadow boxing the silent war within...yet again. Weir/Barlow
alleyoop
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wake me up when it's all over.

alleyoop_49  

« Reply #12 on: Oct 16th, 2004, 9:31am »

on Oct 16th, 2004, 7:25am, don wrote:
Crash Test Dummy

That reminds me:
Why did Mercedes build a plant in Tuscaloosa, AL?

Because they had such an abundance of Crash Test Dummies!

Don't flame me for dumping on Alabama. I was born in Tuscaloosa. Take from that what you want.

.................alley Grin
IP Logged

I know that the Good Lord won't put any more on you than you can stand, but sometimes I wish He weren't quite so PROUD of ME!
Biker
New Board Old Timer
USA 

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #13 on: Oct 16th, 2004, 9:39am »

Carpenter.  Worked on everything from high-rises to tunnels.  Currently working residential repairs.  Cannot seem to hold a real job----the CH attacks, and the foreman or shop stewart has me replaced.  Cannot afford to have a disabled worker on the payroll.  Great loss of pay, but plinking around folks houses keeps the wolves away from the door.  Also build motorcycles, and repair them.  Makes for extra income when Im able to preform.  
  Never had CH till I ran a motorcycle off the road and hit my head pretty hard.  Been suffering every since.  Saw 3 neruos while I had insurance, and they were all in agreement with Cluster Headaches.  Had 2 MRI's.  Well, at least I survived the crash.  I keep getting the reminders of what its like to have too much fun.  
IP Logged

Ride it like ya stole it.
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #14 on: Oct 16th, 2004, 10:02am »

I am a Board Certified Behavior Analyst & a Special Education Teacher. I develop, supervise and teach in home programs in Early Intervention, teaching newly diagnosed children with Pervasive Developmental Diasbilities such as Autism. I also consult and lecture.
My youngest student/client is 15 months old.

I think as far as professions go we CH.com are just a microcosm of society, spanning the whole job market.

Eric
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
tracey
New Board Newbie
England 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #15 on: Oct 16th, 2004, 10:28am »

That is an interesting thought, when my headaches started getting really bad I asked the Neurologist if they could be linked with stress.  I work as a Senior Ward Manager in an acute environment, the headaches only started getting really bad about 5 months into post.  But still doing job.... Headaches are not appearing to be consistent with any stress levels as these headaches are different and far nicer to tolerate, couple of paracetamol kinda job.....
Good thought though.....
IP Logged
Racer1_NC
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Beeeyul the Cat"

Email

« Reply #16 on: Oct 16th, 2004, 11:48am »

on Oct 16th, 2004, 8:39am, yikes_another_one wrote:

i still think head injury and accidental electric shocks
are our best targets....besides allergies and a
as-yet-undiscovered form of epilepsy....

These are my personal beliefs as well..........particularly the first and the last on your list.

As for work, I wear many hats there. I doubt any of them has a thing to do with CH.

Bill
IP Logged

"Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime."

Eventus stultorum magister.
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #17 on: Oct 16th, 2004, 1:46pm »

slacker. laugh
and computer geek
« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2004, 10:32am by vig » IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
Jonny

Email

« Reply #18 on: Oct 16th, 2004, 2:56pm »

If hitting your head caused clusters, 9 out of 10 people alive would have CH, last I checked there was only a few of us on this planet that have CH

.................................jonny
IP Logged
Racer1_NC
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Beeeyul the Cat"

Email

« Reply #19 on: Oct 16th, 2004, 3:43pm »

Jonny.......

Guess I should restate that.......I think a severe concussion or similar severe head trauma could possibly set CH in motion in those predisposed to have CH. Can I back it up? Nope. Just a feeling.

Bill
IP Logged

"Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime."

Eventus stultorum magister.
cschick

Email

« Reply #20 on: Oct 16th, 2004, 9:01pm »

I have to say I wonder about the head injury theory.  I would have headaches when I was in my teens but not CHs.  I had a very bad car accident when I was 21 and sustained a skull fracture in the exact spot I get the CHs which now that I am thinking back on it, started when I was pregnant with my son which was less than a year after the accident.  I think there HAS to be some sort of commonality amongst all of us, figuring out what that is, however, is another story.
IP Logged
Connie
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #21 on: Oct 16th, 2004, 10:46pm »

Well there goes another one of my theories, but the responses were interesting to read.

I feel like there has to be something that everyone has in common, or maybe I am just desparate for answers.  I keep looking over my hubby's journal for the past 10 years trying to find something but even his cycles don't show much of a consistency.

Oh well, my search goes on..........
IP Logged

Connie
Biker
New Board Old Timer
USA 

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #22 on: Oct 17th, 2004, 7:33am »

My CH tends to center behind where I cracked my skull.  Ya know,  that injury didnt hurt nearly as much as CH.
IP Logged

Ride it like ya stole it.
Chillrmn1

Email

« Reply #23 on: Oct 17th, 2004, 9:10am »

Used to overhaul air conditioning chillers prior to onset of cluster headaches. Exposed to vast quantities of refrigerants such as R-11, R-12, & R-22. Only other individual I personally knew with clusters was also an A/C mechanic. Coincidence?
IP Logged
godsjoy777
New Board Veteran
USA 

HIS name is above clusters

godsjoy777  
Email

« Reply #24 on: Oct 17th, 2004, 10:41am »

Hmmmm......First the thread question......After the waitress jobs in college stuff.....I worked in high stress sales and worked my way up into ownership of company....major stress.....lost everything....major stress. I regrouped and started another outside sales job....really only had what I would call sinus headaches and stress headaches up to that time (except for once....as a child of about 12 I got sun poisoning and got hit terribly with what I can see now was a cluster.....I paced and paced the floor....crying.....holding my head....If I stopped paceing I was sure my head would just explode!!!!)

After sales....I went to Bible school and started a small cleaning business and homeschooled my daughter....a different kind of stress...Now I work as an office manager in a Dental office.....Lots of multitasking which makes it hard when I am a bit forgetful.....I think from the Zonegran....But overall I do my job well and the Dentist is understanding during the cluster season.....

NOW.....About the attacks.....Besides my childhood episode.....These last 14 years of clusters all began one day......it was 100 degree heat and I was in it most of the day being very active....and I got very sick that evening and the clusters began....night after night after night.....ALSO.....I had recently had some endodomtic surgery done where they go up underneath the gum flap and try to do some repairing and left a glob of some sort of alloy material underneath my gum....They probably would use something different if they were to do it again today.........ALSO.......About a year before that I had been diagnosed with Graves disease and had my Thyroid killed with Radioactive Iodine.....and had to get on thyroid medication.......I've seen all of these things discussed on this site in relationship to clusters....HMMMMMMMMMMM......OK.....Sorry I've been soooooooooo talkative.....just haven't been here for awhile.
Blessings,
Karen
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss