Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 2:24pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « please explain shadows? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   please explain shadows?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: please explain shadows?  (Read 522 times)
snook
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

please explain shadows?
« on: Oct 21st, 2004, 12:58pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Huh Some of you know me, my tomato has sufferd for 5 months and we think hes at the end of his cycle. He gets the burning on the side where his chs hits, and as you all know he prepares for the worst. also when ever he eats anything his right side burnes and the eye starts to water. He hunkers down and (by the way he tells me it feels like a chs is coming) and maybe after 20 to 40 it goes away. Last night he got up in the middle of the night and had acouple chocolate cookies with milk, and that triggered the burning and what he describes to me the on coming of a ch. Are these shadows????????  I was corrected by my hubby its the left side, he hasnt had a full blown ch since 6 or 7 days. Im praying this could be the end for awhile. Oh please endulge me for a minute,,,,,,, are thier foods that effect any of you guys.  what are shadows and is that what my bill is having, there, not full blown chs, so my ? is are these shadows?????? One more thing Id be interested what foods effect fellow chs, thanks snook
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

Re: please explain shadows?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21st, 2004, 1:07pm »

I think shadows are just the term used by everyone here as a kind of phantom HA not a full blown CH attack... also on different levels but not full blown attacks.  

Low levels might just be twinges
Mid level might be pacers but nothing agonizing
higher levels might be worth aborting.

It's an individual scale sorta.

I named my HA's  tweakers or crankers (low), rockers (mid), Pacers (higher), scissors (just kidding)& killers or bangers (ABORT!!!).

Rocka papa scissa go... lol

IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
dafreeman
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Oct 21st, 2004, 1:12pm »

When I heard the term "Shadows" it reminded me of a characteristic that I exerienced for the first time last week. The sensation was a sporadic, dull pain on the side I get the CH. It was also accomanied by a mildly stiff neck. This lingered throughout the day with occasional "twinges" (like the pain sharpened slightly but only briefly then back to mild and dull).  
Maybe I've misunderstood the term, but it seemed to oddly describe my sensation. Sort of like the CH was "in the background", "waiting" to come out. Undecided
IP Logged
kcorrigan
New Board Newbie
USA 

Do, or Do Not... There is no Try          ~ Yoda

katies_passion   katiespassion
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 21st, 2004, 2:03pm »

I have nicknamed my "F**K-you" headaches. They give me little twinges of pain but never go full-blown, instead they stay between a K2 - 4. They may last from 20 minutes to all day and that's how I know I'm at the beginning and end of a cycle.
IP Logged

Katie Corrigan

Passion Parties by Katie
I love my job! You can too
www.katiespassion.com
888-420-1501
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #4 on: Oct 21st, 2004, 2:56pm »

For me, shadows are a mild kind of cluster. They can last all day, with tiny moments of no pain. I also get twinges of higher kips, but not a full blown cluster.
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 21st, 2004, 3:27pm »

The medical term for shadows is "prodrome". It refers to a nonspecific set of signs/feelings/conditions/???? which signal to the person that "something is wrong".  

These are not a set of signs which all of us would agree upon, I suspect, for each person learns what set of signs are specific to him/herself.  

But we learn to trust them because--if you come to see that your signs usually lead to an attack, then you can trust them and take an abortive before the attack fully develops.

I think there may be a difference between shadows which signal an attack and shadows which are a distant warning that a new cycle is about to begin. That's my experience: I've been able to tell weeks in advance of the start of cycle. (BUT there is no way I could describe this awareness in a way which would mean anything to another person!)  

The trick, I think, is to learn to let them guide you but not let them trigger an anxiety attack--what, in the trade we call, "anticipatory anxiety".
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2004, 3:29pm by Bob_Johnson » IP Logged

Bob Johnson
thudpucker
New Board Junior
USA 

There's a shadow hanging over me.

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 21st, 2004, 3:57pm »

My ha's feel like they're made of two components:  one is a background pain, a steady burning or cutting kind of pain about the size of a quarter right on my left temple.  The other, much more intense but not steady, feels like someone is trying to drive a nail into the center of the background pain.

Usually, when a ha goes away, both the central pain and the background pain go away.  But sometimes the background pain doesn't, and it can remain for 12-18 hours at a level of intensity not much lower than the central pain--or it may be so weak that I can effectively ignore it.

And I will sometimes have the background pain without the central pain's ever manifesting.

Applying the terminology I've seen here, I've assumed that the background pain is the "shadow" and that the central pain is the "spiking"--one spike for every hammer-blow trying to drive in that nail.

(Pain in the eyeball, teeth, and neck at base of skull disregarded for the purpose of this discussion.)

thudpucker
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 21st, 2004, 7:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Black things on the sidewalk that follow you around on a sunny day.  Cool
IP Logged
Connie
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 21st, 2004, 7:33pm »

The sensation was a sporadic, dull pain on the side I get the CH. It was also accomanied by a mildly stiff neck. This lingered throughout the day with occasional "twinges" (like the pain sharpened slightly but only briefly then back to mild and dull).  
Maybe I've misunderstood the term, but it seemed to oddly describe my sensation. Sort of like the CH was "in the background", "waiting" to come out. Undecided [/quote]

That's exactly the way my hubby describes it.
IP Logged

Connie
eddie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

PFDAN TO ALL

« Reply #9 on: Oct 21st, 2004, 7:55pm »

Quote:
Black things on the sidewalk that follow you around on a sunny day.  

good one i like that  laugh
IP Logged

PFDAN TO ALL>><< http://www.putfile.com/ededearl>>><music> http://www.myspace.com/pamneddie
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #10 on: Oct 21st, 2004, 8:20pm »

I think the concept of the shadow has been fairly well described here.  To answer you questions about specific triggers; each person is different, but some commonly recognized triggers are:  

Alcohol  
tobacco
histamine
stress
decreased blood oxygen levels (hypoxemia)
relaxation
exposure to heat or cold
glare
hay fever attacks
chocolate
eggs
dairy products
foods that contain nitrates, like hot dogs, bacon, etc.
Nitroglycerin has been used to induce a cluster attack.  

Someone who suffers from a heart condition that has CH basically gets screwed coming and going.  In order to treat a ch attack, triptans are the weapon of choice, but they can cause troubles in heart patients.  Nitroglycerin is used to treat heart attacks, but it triggers ch attacks.  There are several people here who suffer from both.  ClusterChuck and Svenn immediately come to mind.

I hope your tomato is coming to the end of his cycle and never has another one.  I also hope you stick around to share your experiences with others.  You may be someone's "Cluster Angel" someday.

Gator
IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 21st, 2004, 8:54pm »

Gator's right - it's all been explained pretty well already.

I do like the description of the "background headache" though - it's pretty right on.

When my cycles are winding down, I usually have that "background" thing pretty constantly for a week or so after the "Imitrex" HA's are gone.  Then they gradually wind down to the occasional "twinge."

Sound like the tomato just might be getting there too!  Sure hope so - for both of your sakes.

Biggest Hugs,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
snook
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

man you hit it dead on
« Reply #12 on: Oct 22nd, 2004, 10:33am »

[color=Blue][/color] Kiss I find myself blown away everytime I ask for help. I want to thank each and everyone of you guys. As you might have gathered by now Im deeply in love, and come hell or high water Ill do anything I can for my tomato. Hopes for a ha free day to all  Kiss snook    ps this is not the last you will hear from me, but I think you know that already Grin
IP Logged
ArCane
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Onward through the fog

Email

« Reply #13 on: Oct 22nd, 2004, 1:34pm »

on Oct 21st, 2004, 7:10pm, don wrote:
Black things on the sidewalk that follow you around on a sunny day.  Cool

crackup crackup crackup
IP Logged

Alchemy’s First Law of Equivalent Exchange: To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss