Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 11:52am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « oh god - I'm getting hit during the day »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   oh god - I'm getting hit during the day
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: oh god - I'm getting hit during the day  (Read 470 times)
cschick

Email

oh god - I'm getting hit during the day
« on: Oct 24th, 2004, 4:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I just can not deal with these during the day!!  Oh my God.  I am so frustrated.  I can't take the o2 with me to work - my boss will not deal with that.  I am so freaking out you guys!  Shit, I hate this motherf***ing head of mine!  ARGHHHH!  I can't deal with this crap.  I have way too much stuff going on with everyone else in my family without me having to deal with this.  Everyone else is depending on me.  I wish the beast back to hell where he belongs.  Why was I born with this f'd up brain.  I hate my head, I hate this disease, I hate my life right now.
IP Logged
lionsound
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

breathe

Re: oh god - I'm getting hit during the day
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24th, 2004, 5:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Sorry the beast is visiting during the day too.
glad you're venting ...that's good. We are here and we totally understand.
I know I've said the same to myself.

You may hate all those things, but we like you! Smiley

(I don't know what you've tried at work to inform your boss, and I'm perhaps not the best person for resource on that as I don't work outside my home.)  

vibes for PF DAYS and nights for you!

-lionsound
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 24th, 2004, 5:08pm »

Try this with your boss.

http://www.clusterheadaches.org/resources/emp.htm
IP Logged
bstearns
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 24th, 2004, 5:12pm »

Believe me, we all understand.  I don't know how long you have suffered from CH, but daytime episodes are common.  You will really need to develop a coping strategy.

Maybe this will help:  First of all, I found people at work are a lot more understanding than I expected.  You just need to reassure them that you get this thing called CH, that it is very very painful, but that it is not something they will "catch", nor will it kill you.  It's also not due to "stress", but to a subtle metabolic condition that isn't well understood.  Fortuately, O2 really helps get rid of the headache and quickly.

I have portable O2 bottles that I take in the car.  If I hurt at work,  I can either go out to the parking lot and sit in the car and take O2, or find a quiet room at work (bathroom, lounge, etc.) where I can sit and take O2.

This is nothing to be ashamed of and I don't think anyone has ever made fun of me or mocked me for getting CH.  People have really been great about it once they understood what I am dealing with.

As bad as this is, keep reminding yourself that you WILL get through it and it WILL NOT kill you (it will just feel that way).  Keep the faith!
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #4 on: Oct 24th, 2004, 5:23pm »

So sorry to hear that, hun.  Cry Inform your boss that there is an American with Disabilities Act that requires employers to make accomodations for employees with health issues. I don't know if your tank can travel, if not, get one that can and keep it at work. Try not to let the family pressures get you down even more. Sometimes I think that we women think we are indispensable and have to do everything. That is BULLSHIT! If one of us should die tomorrow, it would be hard on our families, but they would go on. Remember to delegate, even Colin can take care of more than you think.  Hang in there sweeite. You are STRONG, you are INVINCIBLE, you are WOMAN...(an old Helen Reddy song- theme song for the women's movement in the 70's)
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 24th, 2004, 7:56pm »

Can't remember if you've tried Imitrex injects?

Quick trip to the BR and you're back at work in 5-10 minutes.    If you haven't tried them, you might want to check with your doc (especially if you feel the O2 thing definitely would be bad at your workplace).

Nani is right about ADA, but I understand any reluctance you might have to push that issue just yet.

It would be good to start the education process with the people you work with, however.  Follow Don's link.  It's helped many people here with similar problems.

Keep the chin up - Sending hugs your way!

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
don

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 24th, 2004, 8:20pm »

Be careful about throwing around referances to the ADA of 1964. It is not blanket protection for everyone.

http://www.eeoc.gov/types/ada.html
IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #7 on: Oct 24th, 2004, 11:28pm »

on Oct 24th, 2004, 4:34pm, cschick wrote:
I just can not deal with these during the day!!  

Daytime is when imitrex has earned it's praise.

deployment for the enjoyment of employment.

Kevin M
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 25th, 2004, 12:09am »

Pull it together now. If I can do it (for 4 years straight) then you can do it too !!

Let's Relax ...  

Will an Imitrex injection abort your HA's ? They usually work in 10 - 15 minutes.

Unsolved
« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2004, 12:11am by unsolved1 » IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 25th, 2004, 9:10am »

I've worked through 26 years of CH. Not once have I lost a job or been disciplined because of CH. That was when everyone thought CH was a just a bad headache and no excuse for a loss of productivity.

There is a lot more information out there now that you can arm yourself with.
IP Logged
becky8

Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 25th, 2004, 9:49am »

Being chronic, you sounded just like me a few weeks ago. Do you have preventives? And I was afraid of using to much trex, but forget it, if you have no access to O2. Just do what you need to do, and we are here for you, so look through all these threads and I am sure you will find help and feel somewhat better about everything. Everyday is a new one, so hang on!!! We CARE!!!
IP Logged
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #11 on: Oct 25th, 2004, 10:13am »

For at least 20 years I used to have to go home from work if a CH struck me down or call in sick if I woke up with one.

Since about 1996 I have had the imigran injection in my armoury and have rarely missed any time off work thanks to it. A quick trip the the toilet for a jab and I am ok in 10 minutes. If I feel one coming on during a meeting I just excuse myself for a few minutes as soon as I feel it starting and no-one is the wiser.

I have mixed feelings about discussing it with the boss. If you can learn to control it at work, then why bother? Despite your best explanations, most people still think its just a headache and you are weak for not being able to live with it!

John
IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
don

Email

« Reply #12 on: Oct 25th, 2004, 12:19pm »

The people who really need to know are the ones in HR. If you have documentation of a disability in your file its much more difficult for them to harass you should you require some type on accomodation.
IP Logged
ArCane
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Onward through the fog

Email

« Reply #13 on: Oct 25th, 2004, 12:57pm »

Sorry the beast is attacking you during the day.  I know how hard it is to try and get shit done when the beast is knocking at your door.  Hang in there and know everything will work out in the end.  PF vibes and prayers heading your way.
IP Logged

Alchemy’s First Law of Equivalent Exchange: To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's always darkest before the dawn.

tara_ann_77  
WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Oct 25th, 2004, 1:33pm »

Not much left to say that the others didn't...but I hear ya, hang in there hon.  And vent vent and vent somemore if you need to.  We all know what you are going through.  Tons of vibes to ya!
IP Logged

http://www.myspace.com/taraann77
kcorrigan
New Board Newbie
USA 

Do, or Do Not... There is no Try          ~ Yoda

katies_passion   katiespassion
WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Oct 25th, 2004, 6:58pm »

Oh honey, I'm so sorry to hear that you're getting hit during the day. Welcome to my "nightmare". I've been getting hit during the day since I started these foul things. Rarely (maybe 3 or 4 times ever) have they hit at night. I get mine about 2 hours after I wake up every morning and then I'm just toast the rest of the day.

I just returned to work today after being off all last week. Is my employer thrilled that I missed all that time, I'm sure he's not... But I walked in w/ a DR note and some information that I printed from here to help explain what I'm going through.

The hardest thing that I've found is people not understanding what I'm dealing with - and now that you're getting them in the daytime, it'll be a battle for you to try to make them understand. Sometimes it's just better to let them think what they want and go about your own business. Just pray that they never experience even a fraction of the pain that we suffer and the ignorant ones should be just fine, lol.

Good luck to you. I wish you all the best and PF days in your future.

Remember that we're all in this together!

~K
IP Logged

Katie Corrigan

Passion Parties by Katie
I love my job! You can too
www.katiespassion.com
888-420-1501
Biker
New Board Old Timer
USA 

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #16 on: Oct 25th, 2004, 7:18pm »

I know exactly how your feeling.     Wish there were some way to help.  
  I have learned to carry a small bottle of welders oxygen around.  Its small enough to fit in a back-pack or book bag.  It will last a week or so for me.  Its a   D   size.   You have to purchase the bottle outright, but the re-fills are a little under 10 bucks.  I have seen medical oxygen bottles that are slightly smaller.
IP Logged

Ride it like ya stole it.
cschick

Email

« Reply #17 on: Oct 25th, 2004, 9:57pm »

Thank you all so much for all the replies.  I got hit a little before noon today and battled thru somehow and was back on the phone in less than a half hour.  It wasn't that bad, maybe a k5.  I talked to my boss and she was very supportive and understanding.  She said that I can put my little o2 tank in the closet close to my desk that stays locked and she will make sure I have a key to it so I can get to it if she isn't at her desk.  I have to say I am very surprised she was as understanding as she was.  I didn't even have to bring up the ADA or anything.  I have to say I shouldn't have been surprised though because I am severly hearing impaired and every accomodation has been made for me for that.  They bought me a special headset that was over $500!

My husband hasn't been as understanding lately.  I think he is getting as sick of this as I am.  I will make it through and will keep on!

Thanks again everyone - I really appreciate it!  I don't know what I would do without all the support here.  

Love-
Karen
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss