Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 7:37am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « driving under the influence of a cluster. »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   driving under the influence of a cluster.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: driving under the influence of a cluster.  (Read 8562 times)
survivor13
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

thunderstruck
Email

driving under the influence of a cluster.
« on: Nov 17th, 2004, 8:22am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

this is something that has happened alot to me! have always been affraid of being pulled-over and trying to explain to a cop why i went over the yellow line. most of the time i make it where i'm going, but sometimes i've had to stop somewhere.
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: driving under the influence of a cluster.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 9:23am »

You should definitely pull over if you can. Blasting the a/c at my head works for me sometimes. I once drove 10 miles on an interstate with my face planted as close to the a/c vent as I could and still see the road. Then I got off and waited for it to pass. (Sitting on the shoulder kinda scares me, so I get off.)
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 10:08am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

You can drive during an attack Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Shit!

I must be wimp.

Wendy
IP Logged
ArCane
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Onward through the fog

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 10:28am »

I can be F.U.B.A.R. and still drive better than if Im having a cluster.  I have to pull over when I get hit.  Its a danger to myself and others.  Do what nani said and put on the A/C.  It helps, sometimes.
IP Logged

Alchemy’s First Law of Equivalent Exchange: To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
Testy1
New Board Junior
Saudi_Arabia 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 10:41am »

Yeah, I'll second (third?) that bit with the AC. It helps. Not much, but it helps. I usually chew some cafergot and get off the road until it passes. I have driven myself to the ER a couple of times. Women can't drive in Saudi so there was no choice. Fortunately, it is usually 2 or 3 in the morning so there isn't too much traffic.

Regards

Jack
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 11:50am »

Try explaining to a Statie why you are sitting in the breakdown lane with a needle hanging out of your arm.

I told him to wait a minute. He didn't like that.
IP Logged
survivor13
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

thunderstruck
Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 12:13pm »

imagine trying to walk that white line too!
IP Logged
ArCane
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Onward through the fog

Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 12:51pm »

on Nov 17th, 2004, 11:50am, don wrote:
Try explaining to a Statie why you are sitting in the breakdown lane with a needle hanging out of your arm.

I told him to wait a minute. He didn't like that.

crackup crackup crackup
IP Logged

Alchemy’s First Law of Equivalent Exchange: To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
fubar
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 10:56pm »

on Nov 17th, 2004, 10:28am, ArCane wrote:
I can be F.U.B.A.R. and still drive better than if Im having a cluster.  I have to pull over when I get hit.  Its a danger to myself and others.  Do what nani said and put on the A/C.  It helps, sometimes.

heh... I'm always fubar.
IP Logged

"He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Chillrmn1

Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 18th, 2004, 5:43am »

Great Post - I have always had the same fear: How to explain to the cop what's going on with you? I've envisioned this scenario and would probably request paramedics be requested if the cop was an ass.  Or I could be arrested for being uncooperative. When in court, my condition could be proven, but I'd probably lose for not being fit to operate a motor vehicle while having a headache. Charge: DWHCH.

How do I drive? Barely - With head cocked to the right at a 45 degree angle, right eye shut, hand rubbing my neck, temple, and side of my head. This sight alone is enough to be pulled over down here.  

I will only drive without pulling over if I get caught without my Imitrex and still be in control. I have had to get off the road a few times due to the intensity.
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 18th, 2004, 7:38am »

I teach multiple offender DUI classes in Massachusetts. I've had clients claim they were swerving, etc. because of a medical condition. (UH HUH)

If you are stopped by the police while you are having a cluster and the cop is a jerk, request that he call you an ambulance.
IP Logged
sailpappy
New Board Old Timer
USA 

sail_pappy   sailpappy1
WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 18th, 2004, 11:22am »

GrinHere's what ya do!
      Write down on a peice of paper or print it out with your computer, the facts that you suffer from a Severe Pain Syndrome, State the facts about Clusters and why you might be unable to even discuss it at the moment.
       I carry a laminated paper with me for this very reason, Kind of like a "Medic ID Alert Bracelet"
       If they still have to question you, Puke on them! then next time they will believe you!    Pappy
« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2004, 11:23am by sailpappy » IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #12 on: Nov 18th, 2004, 1:54pm »

Quote:
If they still have to question you, Puke on them! then next time they will believe you!    Pappy

I like that idea MUCH better than calling an ambulance!
IP Logged
Sisyphus
New Board Junior
United_Kingdom 

At least when its over you can have a beer!

« Reply #13 on: Nov 19th, 2004, 6:35pm »

I spent part of my life, thankfully a small part, being a taxi driver. Got hit with an eye smelter but double bubble, had a passanger in the back who just wouldn't stop chattering away. If I stopped I was trapped in the taxi with a chatterer who would want to know every detail of why we had stopped but at least the meter would still be going or if I carried on I would get rid of her and only maybe crash in doing it or I could get out the car and say "You drive". I considered very fleetingly all three and opted to get her where she was going and then pull over for a quick screaming session. Where there any other options?
IP Logged

The gods had condemned Sisyphus to ceaselessly rolling a rock to the top of a mountain, whence the stone would fall back of its own weight. They thought there no more dreadful punishment!
Connie
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #14 on: Nov 19th, 2004, 8:23pm »

My hubby is a cop and sometimes he has had to pull of the road to suck on 02.  Just picture that sight.  Cop in uniform in marked car off to the side of the road with a mask on and imitrex needle on standby.

IP Logged

Connie
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #15 on: Nov 19th, 2004, 9:37pm »

To be arrested for driving while blind laugh
Most cops have enough brain power to realize what is going on and would probably have the EMT's on the way after a quick visual. If not, what a good time to vent, like a get out of jail free card. LOL
 Grin
BB
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
yikes-another-one
New Board Old Timer
USA 

dancenshout2002   joyflheart2004
Email

« Reply #16 on: Nov 20th, 2004, 7:42pm »

hey, my doc knew I was getting hit, and watched me  
walk out to my car in the pouring rain.... never tried to
stop me....

and she suffers form migraines...which incapacitate her.

Oy!

i know better, but when given a prescription,
I ain't about to waste time....
I "flew" on angel's wings to the pharmacy,
and that's the only time I "waited."

I really knew better, but I needed the med's.

I just thank god no one was dancing or singing in the
rain...anywhere near the road....  
 jammin

IP Logged

Psalm 23 - Goodness and mercy shall follow US all the days of our lives and WE will dwell in the house of LOVE forever.
Testy1
New Board Junior
Saudi_Arabia 

Email

« Reply #17 on: Nov 21st, 2004, 12:37pm »

I like the idea of a card with the CH facts on it but, just a suggestion, DON'T put it in the glove box or anywhere that takes your hands out of his sight.
The cops might get a bit antsy if the moaning, screaming, crying guy they just stopped makes a lunge for the glove box.
That could turn into one of those really ugly misunderstanding.

Regards

Testy
IP Logged
BlueMeanie

Email

« Reply #18 on: Nov 21st, 2004, 3:40pm »

I've never got pulled over yet and sure hope I don't.  

I only get 2 boxes a month so 1 year I have 24 boxes which usually just gets me by as long as I only do 1/2 shot each time.  

For me, the only way i can do a 1/2 shot is to use both hands and shoot in the upper half of my thigh. If stuck in traffic when one comes on, i have to pull my pants down to get that part sticking out to shoot the needle. I sweat it everytime thinking I'm gonna get pulled over for being a pervert. Not only that, but it usually works pretty quick so by the time the cop got back after checking my info i'd be back to normal. Not sure how i can explain I just had a headache so I had to take care of it with my pants down. lol

What crazy things we Clusterheads must face in the heat of Battle.
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #19 on: Nov 21st, 2004, 7:53pm »

There's simply NO WAY I could drive during a hit. I've had to pull over many times and Trex it up. Never had a cop approach me while this happened. If it did happen, the cop would be the last thing I was worried about.  Wink

Unsolved
IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #20 on: Nov 22nd, 2004, 12:15am »

Just say NO to Auto-Surfing.

The life you save may be mine,
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
Redneck

Email

« Reply #21 on: Nov 25th, 2004, 10:58pm »

I live on the road.
Before 02 or anything else all i cud do was turn up the AC and try to get some place safe because stopping was not an option. Midrin (all I had) was not going to work, so I had to reach a place to suffer.  

Ossifer ossifer I aint drunk but get the hell outta my way or lock me up. Cry

Now I look real cute driving down the road with the 02 mask on but WTF who cares what anyone thinks!
IP Logged
racer241
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #22 on: Dec 3rd, 2004, 2:44pm »

I can't drive, I always have had to pull over get in the back seat and cry it out. I have got a few CH before stuck in traffic and can't make it more than 5 minutes down the road and the pain is too unbearable to to concentrate enough on driving.

I also roadrace motorcyles here in Colorado and I let most of the corner workers and saftey staff know if they see me pull off the track drop my bike and curl up I have a CH and get the ambulance over to me asap. Thank god 99% of the time I only get these in the winter, but there is that 1%  

The A/C helps you guys? Anything cold like a breeze really spikes the pain for me. I find more comfort with a hot shower or hot towel wrapped around my head.
IP Logged
Donna_D.
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

OUCH needs volunteers

smileyone1968@yahoo.com  
WWW Email

« Reply #23 on: Dec 4th, 2004, 4:54pm »

I spend about half of my work week traveling all over D/FW and the surrounding areas going to doctors offices.  I have learned the following about driving with clusters.

1.  Pay no attention to the people in the car next to you when you are stuck in traffic and cannot get off of the freeway.   More than likely they have never seen anyone bang their head on the steering wheel before.

2.  A small ice chest with a few icepacks comes in handy ( I carry a few most of the time).

3.  It is best to have exact change when going through the toll booth...the attendants who make change always want to ask you if you need an ambulance or even worse, call the police to report you are driving drunk.

Driving with a CH can be possible (for some), but it is NOT recommended.

DD

DD
IP Logged

The information contained above is for the expressed use of fellow clusterheads and their supporters. Any misuse of this information by any of my "Ex's" is considered to be creepy and a form of harassment and will be duly noted by the ch.com webmaster Tongue
kimh
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

What don't kill ya makes ya stronger

Email

« Reply #24 on: Dec 4th, 2004, 9:58pm »

ukindooitukindooitt and YOU CAN DO IT.

You will cock your head to the "pain" side, you mite have yer tongue stuk up yer upper teeth to stop the tooth pain, you will be tearing from the eye and yer nose may run.  You will also feel a level of panic (depending on you the person).  However, you will not crash the car unless you decide to crash the car.  You may decide to "step aside" or you may press on.  I do not think a cluster attack blocks the thought that makes us "survive".  It's a call we make.  I know i am lucid during attacks.  Even if they are at their worst.  I am never far away from my ability to survive, even if i am to some degree on "autopilot".  I know strangers have seen me in traffic crying and head tilted to side and snot running and i'm talking to myself, but i also know i am NOT going to crash the car nor am i going to hurt anyone else.  I do know that I HURT.  

YOU CAN DRIVE WITH A CLUSTER.  YOU CAN PULL OVER WITH A CLUSTER.  MATTER OF FACT, YOU CAN STILL MAKE CHOICES DURING A CLUSTER.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss