Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 6:31pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Heat during CH »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Heat during CH
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Heat during CH  (Read 1492 times)
MzBlackIce
New Board Newbie
USA 

mzblackice2003  

Heat during CH
« on: Dec 7th, 2004, 8:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello fellow CHers.  I seem to be on a every other day CH schedule but always at night. The latest during sleep last night. For some reason I thought to wet a washcloth put it in a ziplock bag and heat it in the microwave.  I wrapped it in a towel and when I applied it to my face I heard angels singing (LOL) .  It didn't stop the pain immediately, but it did help with the stuffy nose and eventually the beast released its hold.  Has anyone else tried this?  Am I grasping at straws in my desire for relief?

However, all day today I have had a nagging pain on the same side where the CH was , but not intense enough to be a one, but more like...don't think I've gone...I'm still here just waiting to knock you on your butt again.
IP Logged
Ruth
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

Re: Heat during CH
« Reply #1 on: Dec 7th, 2004, 8:49pm »

Sometimes heat works for me and other times I need cold. It is like being on a Merry go Round. I no what you mean about the all day thing, it is like a cloud hanging over you, just waiting to unload.

Ruth
IP Logged
MzBlackIce
New Board Newbie
USA 

mzblackice2003  

« Reply #2 on: Dec 7th, 2004, 8:53pm »

Amen Ruth.  I'm tired, but I'm almost afraid to lie down.  Hmm...mayhaps I'll sit up in the chair and sleep.   laugh
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #3 on: Dec 7th, 2004, 9:52pm »

Actually Mz, many do sleep in the recliner. It helps them sometimes. Hang in there. Being afraid of sleeping is a terrible thing. Sad
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
MzBlackIce
New Board Newbie
USA 

mzblackice2003  

« Reply #4 on: Dec 7th, 2004, 11:35pm »

No need to fear sleep.  Didn't even get a chance to lie down...it's here and right on schedule dammit Sad

Heat isn't working this time around.  Can't do anything but rock and pull hair.
IP Logged
RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

lastchantsranch   babbleontn
Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 8th, 2004, 12:24am »

I keep two cotton socks filled with rice by the microwave.
Pop one in for  45sec to 1 min (play with it) Then put in the other one.  They mold to all contours of your face and neck and stay hot/warm longer than you woud think.  Hell, you're gonna be pacing arround the house anyway, so it's another little task that has a reward  . . . ..  ya go for what you can get

PFDAN's    

Richard
IP Logged

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
MzBlackIce
New Board Newbie
USA 

mzblackice2003  

« Reply #6 on: Dec 8th, 2004, 12:33am »

Thanks Richard.  Would have never thought of rice.  You're right washcloth doesn't stay warm very long.

Melissa
IP Logged
RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

lastchantsranch   babbleontn
Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 8th, 2004, 1:04am »

Do you have 02 yet?  Has helped me avoid a great many "dances"

Richard
IP Logged

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 8th, 2004, 9:20am »

It's a strange world you have "chosen" to enter! Over the years, folks have reported using both heat and cold packs with success. You can only try and see which works best for you.

There was a period when my cluster pain was focused in my left temple. I got good relief aiming a hair dryer and running with as much heat as I could stand until the pain eased. Worked!
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
floridian

Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 8th, 2004, 10:52am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I use ice on the face when getting hit, heat on the neck for soreness (usually between headaches). Whatever (sorta) works for you!  

That nagging, lingering pain could be a 'shadow.'
IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #10 on: Dec 8th, 2004, 2:31pm »

I usually use ice on my head, although sometimes a hot shower works pretty good.  No rhyme or reason to it.  I just sometimes "feel" like a hot shower would work better.  Huh  

Neither one works every time, but even if the ice isn't working, it gives me something to do with my right hand besides pound on my skull with it.  

Gator
IP Logged
Bmblb
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 8th, 2004, 3:13pm »

Heat is best for me. My wife walked in while I was in the shower and couldn't believe how hot the water was, I kept turning it up and turning the cold down and having the spay right on the side of my head. She stcuk her hand under the shower head a said she couldn't believe I wasn't burned. It doesn't always work but when it does it's wonderful. A little light in the middle of the dark.

"B"
IP Logged
thomas

Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 8th, 2004, 4:36pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

melatonin before bed.
IP Logged
marlin
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #13 on: Dec 8th, 2004, 5:49pm »

I think you should go to a Dr.  I know a lot of these CH meds are scary but if you're "lucky" and episodic you won't need to be on the meds long.

O2 first - no fear about side effects.

trex second - takes ya for a little ride but in my case COMPLETELY wipes out the CH in 5min (come back in 6hrs sometimes).

pred - scary side effects but if it's just for a couple of weeks every year or 2 you'll probably be OK.

The rest of the meds I've looked into take a long time to work and, thankfully in my case, the CHs are gone by the time the levels get up high enough to do any good.
IP Logged
toolong
New Board Veteran
USA 

Looking for an answer

WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 8th, 2004, 6:33pm »

Tried heat with those microwave heat wraps.It does help for the time it is on the pain but a funny thing happens after a short period.The CH pain seems to move to a different location,like it's avoiding the heat remedy.I guess the deamon can out smart anything that does give even some short relief.Has anyone else had this experience?Ice does the same thing,just sort of moves the pain around. gocrazyDavid
IP Logged

Hey,watch this!I saw it on a cartoon and I think it might work!
survivor13
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

thunderstruck
Email

« Reply #15 on: Dec 10th, 2004, 5:05pm »

HEAT AROUND MY FACE IS ACTUALLY A TRIGGER! IT ALSO INTENSIFIES THE PAIN AND PROLONG THE ATTACK! IT'S ICE FOR ME!
IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #16 on: Dec 12th, 2004, 3:40pm »

HEAT AROUND MY FACE IS ACTUALLY A TRIGGER! IT ALSO INTENSIFIES THE PAIN AND PROLONG THE ATTACK! IT'S ICE FOR ME! I am with Survivor!
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss