Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 1:56pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « 5ht question »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   5ht question
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 5ht question  (Read 1483 times)
the_old_man
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

I've had amnesia for as long as I can remember!

5ht question
« on: Dec 27th, 2004, 9:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Is 5ht a possible preventive for ch?  Has anyone tried it?  I heard that it might work on those nasty nite time hits and right now I'm willing to try anything.  Any thoughts?

The Old Man
IP Logged
Grandma_Sweet_Boy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

What Goes Around Comes Around!

Re: 5ht question
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27th, 2004, 10:28pm »

What is that?

Carol
IP Logged
the_old_man
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Dec 27th, 2004, 11:11pm »

5ht is supposed to be a precursor to seratonin.  Taking 5ht is supposed to up the level of serotonin in the body.  Serotonin is what we CHers lack.  I think I have it right.

The Old man
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 28th, 2004, 5:32am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

5ht is serotonin

Read about it at O.U.C.H. > http://www.clusterheadaches.org/library/serotonin/

I believe if it were a viable preventative, we'd all know more about it.  Huh  

Unsolved

edited because I had to edit !!  LOL
« Last Edit: Dec 28th, 2004, 5:33am by unsolved1 » IP Logged
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

« Reply #4 on: Dec 28th, 2004, 8:49am »

I know Giovanni used it as part of his preventive coctail.  It seemed to work well for him.  Make sure you are not on any serotonin re-uptake inhibitors though.
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
Melissa

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 28th, 2004, 8:57am »

In the past there have been some people who have had some success with 5htp.  It is not an end all to clusters, but it may help and I'd say it's worth a try.  As the saying goes with ch's, not everything works for every clusterhead.  I have some myself, and it did help a bit a couple cycles ago, but in all my flurry I had completely forgotten about taking it for my last cycle.  I am going to include it again in my ammunition for Sept.

Good luck!
Smileymel
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 28th, 2004, 9:00am »

I think what you asking about is 5HTP.  It is an over the counter form of tryptophan which is a precurser to serotonin.  A few people have tried it, including me, and it didn't do anything.  Personally, I wouldn't waste my money on it again.

The deal with serotonin (5HT) is not to just increase the amount but you have to have the specific 5HT neuro sites involved.  Here is a link to an article that explains the various receptor sites from the OUCH Library:
http://www.clusterheadaches.org/library/serotonin/90%27s.htm
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
floridian

Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 28th, 2004, 9:35am »

I think it helps me with clusters.  I am certain that 5htp helps me with my sleep - I wake up feeling more energized and refreshed.  It also helps me with some types of anxiety and depression.  

Don't mix 5htp with any type of anti-depressant.  I only take it for a few days at a time.
IP Logged
Giovanni
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 28th, 2004, 11:59am »

By itself, 5-HTP, will not stop the clusters, but will elevate your mood.  It helps with depression that we get when in cycle.  In combination with melatonin at night, it helped me.  This should not be used if taking the "alternative" treatment or anti depressants.  I had taken 50mg X two per day.  You probably should not exceed a couple of weeks at a time.

Worth a try...........

John
IP Logged
sailpappy
New Board Old Timer
USA 

sail_pappy   sailpappy1
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 28th, 2004, 3:37pm »

GrinActually I believe 5ht is just one of many brain chemistry enzymes, all of which all end with ace. Its not seritonin its seritoninace, seritonin is a counter enzyme that inhibits the action of the seritoninace, such as many drugs in the seritonin uptake inhibitor catagory, my memory is a little foggy on this as its been 30+ years since I discussed it with my first neuro, but I believe there are some 21 such enzymes in the brain such as Histamineace which is why some people take anti-histamines to increase the action of the histamineace,
     But then again I only have a GED and almost remember my name after 35 non-stop years of being chronic!    Pappy
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #10 on: Dec 28th, 2004, 3:41pm »

So pappy....does all that mean it's good or bad? I'm having one of my many brain fart moments and no matter how many times I read that...I'm just not getting what you said.  Undecided
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
the_old_man
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #11 on: Dec 28th, 2004, 7:29pm »

So...if it's worth a try, do you take it in the daytime or night time?  I only meet the beast at nite.  Should it be 5ht in the morning and melatonin at nite?

The Old Man
IP Logged
sailpappy
New Board Old Timer
USA 

sail_pappy   sailpappy1
WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 28th, 2004, 8:29pm »

Grin     I've done the 5ht and the histamine destention 5 times: with the only result being non stop clusters in a controlled enviorment, 3 hours each day for 3 days in a row, did nothing for the clusters as far as slowwing or abating them, my Opinion is that unless there is a definitive test to see if your seratonin levels are low I would pass!
      There are several seratonin uptake inhibitors that are new and work in different ways, Geodon is one I would consider. Its primary developmental purpose is to help people with schizophrenia much like Lithium and Bi-polarism
     JMHO        Pappy

http://www.healthsquare.com/newrx/geo1590.htm  Geodon link

http://www.healthsquare.com/newrx/des1128.htm   Desyrel or Trazadone works in a very similar manner and has helped me sleep during very bad days

The thing to remember is that like Nurontin,keppra and Imetrex they were developed for a specific reason, but may be applyed to other conditions
« Last Edit: Dec 28th, 2004, 9:37pm by sailpappy » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss