Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 6th, 2024, 1:41am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « CH Surgery »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   CH Surgery
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: CH Surgery  (Read 441 times)
BlueMeanie

Email

CH Surgery
« on: Jan 7th, 2004, 11:36am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

My sister found this on the net. It's dated from 1999. Just wondering if anyone has either heard of this surgery or tried it ?

http://neuro-www.mgh.harvard.edu/forum_2/ClusterHeadacheF/11.19.993.21AM SurgeryforC.html
IP Logged
ave
New Board Hall of Famer
Netherlands 

She is beside herself; her favourite position

Re: CH Surgery
« Reply #1 on: Jan 7th, 2004, 2:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Meanie, if the whole nerve were killed, you would have no feeling at all on that side of your face and head!
Heve a look at the cluster info pages (left) to find out where the nerve goes.

There are procedures to "cook" part of the nerve and also to cut the nerve, but you'll have to look up "surgery" in the search engine if youreally want to know.

I seem to remember:for some the pain just went to the other side, for some it helped, with others it deadened the nerve and they have less controll over that side of the face.

Wouldn't do it myself!
IP Logged

There is a break in reality. Do not adjust your mind.
don

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 7th, 2004, 3:52pm »

A drastic solution that is complicated by other problems it produces.

There are other less invasive surgical procedures being done. These are pretty much limited to those that are diagnosed chronic and irretractable. (sp?)

If you are episodic then pain management is still the best option IMO.  

« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2004, 3:53pm by don » IP Logged
BlueMeanie

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 7th, 2004, 5:58pm »

I thought it sounded strange. I wasn't planning on doing it. Was just curious. You know how everytime you see one of these articles that supposedly helps. It always seems to be NOT TRUE.

Thanks for the comments.
IP Logged
bobkip
New Board Old Timer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 7th, 2004, 11:10pm »

NO NO NO NO!!!!

I have heard of too many negative results from the magic nerve surgery and personally know one lady who had it. She now has one side of her face paralized and was temporarily blinded by it and still gets ch.

Kip
IP Logged
Renee
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

May we all find some pf time!  Is it summer yet?

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 7th, 2004, 11:33pm »

I would never do anything like that, BUT I did receive an injection for occipital nerve block (as found on ouch site) that was in essence a temporary nerve block along with another injection for a supraorbital nerve block .  This lead to my being pf for several months and had nothing except a numb feeling when i would rub my forehead above the suprorbital nerve notch.  These procedures were done in the summer of 03.

The pain mgmt at UTSW is where this was performed and they told me if I got temporary results from this procedure then they could go in and kill the nerve via burning it.  This would result in the nerve growing back over time but with the possibility of it growing back via a different path, which could possibly eliminate the headaches.

The initial nerve blocks were successful but I never went back to UTSW as they did these blocks without the use of a fluoroscope and without ANY lidocaine.

Does anyone know any further info on burning the nerves that kills that section of the nerve and it growing back possibly via a different path?

I've often thought about going back there, but the intern that did my blocks could not speak english very well and I never could understand him.

Huh  renee
IP Logged

23 years of battling the beast, 9 years chronic......uneducated docs/nurses make me irate.
The fungus among us is for real!

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss