Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 6th, 2024, 3:03am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Might have CH... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Might have CH...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Might have CH...  (Read 385 times)
mem024
New Board Newbie
USA 

Mandy9701
Email

Might have CH...
« on: Jan 8th, 2004, 12:03am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm new to the board and I'm not yet sure if I have CH or not.  The pain started last Monday, I woke up Monday morning with this weird pain over my left eye.  It was a constant, pressure like pain.  I called my uncle who is an ER doctor and he said it was a sinus infection and put me on amoxil.  The pain continued during the week worsening at time and then diminishing at others.  Come Friday night, I was in the worst pain I've ever felt and my eye was tearing up on my left side.  I went to the ER and they did x-rays and gave me a shot of an antibiotic and pain killers and sent me home.  The pain continued off and on and on Monday morning I went to a doctor and he wanted to do a catscan, but being a student out of my insurance area, I had to drive to home to New Orleans to be seen by my own doctor before I could have a catscan done.  Today, Tuesday, I went to my doctor and she believes I have CH and sent me in to have a catscan done to rule out anything else.  So, my present systems are: a constant pain almost like a pressure feeling over my left eye that will come and go...sometimes it is severe and sometimes just there, a teary left eye, and the area is tender to the touch.  Since, this is the first time in my life I've ever felt this type of pain and I don't know alot about CH, I wanted to know what all of you thought.  Thank you.
IP Logged
Rick_K
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Re: Might have CH...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 8th, 2004, 12:08am »

Take the Cluster Quiz on the left.  

I hoping you don't bit if it turnes out you have clusters sorry that you do but welcome, this is the right place to be.  A lot of help here...

Read everything you can...as they say read, read, read and try O2, link to the left, it helps a lot of us.

Rick
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2004, 12:12am by Rick_K » IP Logged

episodic since 1969........damn
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 8th, 2004, 12:10am »

Hey mem024......nice ta meet ya.......you will now learning ALOT since you found this place so keep yer eyes peeled and keep us informed of what the docs find and tell ya. Pam that's a house supporter of sorts
IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

Woobie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I luv you guys!!!!!!!!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 8th, 2004, 1:10am »

Well, welcome to Clusterville...

I hope you DON'T have CH.    But, if you do, you found the right place .....  

Read everything, and do what the others said....  

HEY = Maybe you could inform your Uncle about CH while you're at it.  A lot of ER docs have NO clue....

Tina
IP Logged
Patrick_A
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If i could get my hands on that wascally Wabbit

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 8th, 2004, 1:10am »

Seems like there are lots more versions of CH than when i first started researching them. I didnt even know there was any such animal as a Cronic CH till i came here.
But the one symptom that i believe everyone has is the nighttime attack that hits us all about 1 to 3 hours after we go to sleep! That should be the "red flag" for the 1st diagnosis for CH!

Patrick  Smiley
IP Logged

Do you think that when they asked George Washington for his ID, that he just whipped out a One Dollar Bill?
t_h_b
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

primary chronic since 1999

« Reply #5 on: Jan 8th, 2004, 6:13am »

The "constant pain" doesn't sound typical of CH.  Clusters usually last 30 min to 2 hours or so.  They have rapid onset and resolution.  The eye pain is of a burning/stabbing quality.  But these things are tricky.  It almost sounds like you're having a "shadow" headache with clusters on top of the shadow.  Shadows can last for days.

Nitroglycerin triggers clusters.  You might try that as a sort of a test if you can handle it.  Oxygen (see link on left) is one of the best abortives and you might try that to see if your headache responds to that.  If it is CH you need to find a preventative that works (like melatonin, psilocybin, verapamil or one or more of the many other meds that work for different clusterheads) as well as abortives (like Imitrex, Oxygen, Amerge.)  Almost every clusterhead has preferred treatments.  This site is the best place to begin your education.

You need to make damn sure it is CH because if it's not the treatment would be completely different.

If you do have CH and it got diagnosed so quickly, consider yourself very lucky for that.

Good luck.
IP Logged

No, it's not a headache--it's a Stage Ten Primary Chronic Periodic Idiopathic Trigeminovascular Cephalalgic Crisis.
hunterdon04
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 8th, 2004, 6:20am »

sorry to hear about yur headaches...like everyone before me said...read and read and read...i also get those shadow headaches and i've been living with the CH above my left eye for tooooo many years...try O2 and the water X3 and watch the alcohol thing......good luck...and unfortunately...welcome Cool
IP Logged

i wont surrender, well not this minute anyway
stevegeebe
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 8th, 2004, 7:16am »

Hey.  

Some things you describe do not seem to fit while other things do.  I hope it's not CH.

Do what others have said and educate yourself.

I see you're from "Mararah".  I'm across the Lake.  If you need any additional assistance please do not hesitate contacting me directly.

Steve G
IP Logged
thomas

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 8th, 2004, 7:55am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Take the quiz, you're a student, you should be good at those.  The only problem is, this is one test you DON'T want to pass.  Seriously though, welcome aboard, if you do have ch you will get lots of support and information here. Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss