Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 6:23am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Eye exam sees something »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Eye exam sees something
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Eye exam sees something  (Read 1927 times)
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

Re: Eye exam sees something
« Reply #25 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 12:20am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Sure, I will, but I'll bet the answer is right on the left

<<<<< under medical info, that Horner's syndrome would be noticeable upon inspection.  Actually, on my large information inquiry page that I filled out while waiting, had many, many things to check off that you may suffer from.  I had checked off headaches because there was no space for clusters.  I didn't check off any hereditary problems with the eyes, or diabetes.  That would narrow down the causes, being that he reviewed my questionaire.
With the info on the left, clusters would be a good stab, if a doctor was familiar with them.  We are simply not used to ANY doctor being familiar with clusters so when one is, it's so surprising.  Besides, an opthamologist would be more familiar with these findings than a regular doc.  Perhaps what he saw may have been clearly due to trauma caused by the nerves affecting the eyes.  Since I only checked off headaches as the only eye history on my questionaire, what he saw may be only caused by clusters because its not caused by migraines.  I say it was a good informed question by a doctor who does his homework.
It's not that mysterious now, but hearing what the eye doc has to say would be informative.

Deb, why the sad, confused little face? I don't write very coherently sometimes when many ideas are suddenly flowing.  I reread my last input and it is hard to follow, not well written.  Sorry. Smiley
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2004, 12:22am by Kevin_M » IP Logged
Little Deb
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Please SPAY and NEUTER all dogs, cats and idiots!

debbie4278  
WWW Email

« Reply #26 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 12:48am »

I understood your post, Kevin.

Now please, stop reading, and go find that doc.

Or just give me his name and number.

We really want to know what HE said.  And WHY.

My eyes are getting worse, too, especially on the affected side.

little deb
IP Logged

Adopt a shelter pet!
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

« Reply #27 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 1:03am »

The last time I went to the Eye Doc who knows I have chs,  ask me if anyone had ever told me that one of my pupils was larger than the other....I told him I was aware of this...THe other day, one of my Alzheimer patients who I thought was pretty much  end stage Alzheimers, informed while giving him his nightly meds, that one of my eyes was larger than the other...Noone else has ever noticed this...then he told me the reason for this was because one of my boobies was pulling the other eye down...Then, I realized he really is end stage Alzheimers after all but has a great sense of humor still...Gotta love my patients!  Grinnancyc
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2004, 1:09am by nancyc » IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #28 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 1:24am »

So THAT'S what your face meant.  Gotcha.  Sorry, couldn't do that tonight though.  Was just thinking out loud.  Thanks for the clarity. Lips Sealed  No more loud thinking.

Nancy, nice to hear from you again.  See you have the same sense of humor.  I think I still have your e-mail address from years ago. Wink
IP Logged
Renee
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

May we all find some pf time!  Is it summer yet?

Email

« Reply #29 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 10:46am »

Kevin,

Have you called the opthamologist yet?

We are all patiently waiting!

PLEASE  Grin
IP Logged

23 years of battling the beast, 9 years chronic......uneducated docs/nurses make me irate.
The fungus among us is for real!

Paigelle

Email

« Reply #30 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 1:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Uh Kevin - have you talked to the doctor yet?  We get very impatient waiting around here you know. bunnybash
IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #31 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 2:43pm »

First attempt.
I stopped in, talked with one of the girls their.  Explained at my last exam the dr noticed something in my eye and questioned me refering to cluster headaches and that I would wish to speak with that doctor concerning what he saw.
She turned to another person and asked if they were being helped and I went and sat by where she was working on the computer.  I casually mentioned he caught something during my exam and ... "I'll be right with you sir," she replied.
I sat, waited, then she addresses me again and says "what was that again?"
I asked her about the doctor who examined me and if it would be possible to speak with him.  She got my file and looked and said, "Oh he's not here today, there's nothing here on your exam, he made no notes about whatever you're talking about."  Duh.
Well, I explained again about him recognizing I had clusters and wished to know what he saw and how he came to ask me that.
"Well there is another dr here, but she's with someone.  Maybe she can answer your question.  What was your question?  I'll right it down, ask her, and I'll give you a call about it."
Not quite what I was looking for.  However, without him there, the best I could get today would be a call from them.  I asked if it would be the doctor who would call because maybe there would be some medical terms which would need to be understood.  "I'll give her this note later and we'll give you a call."
I am waiting for the bitch to call now.  I will call back in a couple of hours.
This is the type of service I expected, but this was the first try.  So in other words, no progress yet.  I'll get try again later and tomorrow.  
I know this is not what you've been waiting for. I'll write again.
IP Logged
Renee
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

May we all find some pf time!  Is it summer yet?

Email

« Reply #32 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 3:13pm »

Kevin,

Thank you so much for the update!

Please keep trying and keep us in touch!

Don't let them take "NO" as an answer.

It is so frustrating to have to deal with the medical industry!!   Angry

renee
IP Logged

23 years of battling the beast, 9 years chronic......uneducated docs/nurses make me irate.
The fungus among us is for real!

Paigelle

Email

« Reply #33 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 3:22pm »

Do you want me to come and speak with that office staff?  They don't want me to do that, I know that.  Go back there or call and ask for the damn office manager.  You have every right to know why he asked you about CH and what he saw.  

Now hop to it!
IP Logged
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #34 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 4:28pm »

Interesting: Eyes take a beating with CH. Maybe this is an effect rather than a cause. Interesting in any event.  

How about telling this Ophthalmologist's crew that you are affiliated with OUCH. You never know.

Let us know.

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
ave
New Board Hall of Famer
Netherlands 

She is beside herself; her favourite position

« Reply #35 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 4:34pm »

That's too many difficult words in one sentence, for that type of girl!

She'll probably think Kevin is saying he is afflicted with SARS or something.

Caaaaareful there.
IP Logged

There is a break in reality. Do not adjust your mind.
Paigelle

Email

« Reply #36 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 4:35pm »

on Jan 9th, 2004, 4:34pm, ave wrote:
That's too many difficult words in one sentence, for that type of girl!

She'll probably think Kevin is saying he is afflicted with SARS or something.

Caaaaareful there.

I have to agree with this!
IP Logged
Dave_Emond
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #37 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 5:18pm »

I completley agree follow up needs to be done, and Kevin is trying best he can.
 Thought I'd add a note here. Probably for the last 6 months or more, I've been having strange vision problems. However, only right before, during and after CH attacks. Most of the time only on my right eye (CH side), but sometimes both. Being Chronic, I do sometimes have attacks on the left, but not that often.
 Plus these vision problems come in different forms.
 The most common is in the CH eye, I'll try to explain this best I can. You know the little screen you'd find in the tap of your water facet? Yeah ... my vision looks as if I had put one in like a contact lens, pretty wierd.
 Next is double vision in both eyes, was at one time clear double vision, but is becoming more blurry lately.
 Then, of course the light show. Many colors moving about kinda like looking through a Kliediscope.
 Thing is, when not in heavy shadows or under attacks, I have extremely good vision!
 This makes me think these tricks on the eyes are an affect of the CH. How many can say we haven't been quite BRUTAL to our eyes during CH attacks? We press hard on the eye, I've even frozen my right eye years back in a moment of stupidity pressing ice so hard and for so long on my eye. I've done the same pressure with extreme heat, scalding my face but fortunately don't think I damaged the eye.
 How many have put that thumb pushing on their eye during an attack? How about a good knuckle grinding?
 We may very well be doing this to ourselves, even knowing that possiblity, can't say I can always keep myself from doing it. (Except the ice!)
 Whether this is a cause or effect, it is something worth really looking into. Whatever Kevin and this doctor may have come across, certainly needs our attention.
 I may have got a chuckle out of the "eye color" survey, but this is quite different and warrants research.
 Thanks for bringing something new to the table Kevin, please continue to follow up as much as you can.
 Others? Have a opportunity to see an opthamologist?
 Kevin, out of interest, episodic or chronic? How long?
 Thanks,
 Dave
IP Logged

Obstacles are those frightful things we see when we take our minds off our goals.
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #38 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 5:37pm »

on Jan 9th, 2004, 5:18pm, Dave_Emond wrote:
How many have put that thumb pushing on their eye during an attack? How about a good knuckle grinding?

EVERY ATTACK!!

Oddly, my eyesight tested better than 20/20 (didn't know that was possible) during my last visit with no abnormal findings.  I have never had vision problems...auras or anything (before, during or after attacks)

Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #39 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 6:06pm »

Ok, no call back, so I call and get the same girl on the line.  "I haven't had the time to give her the note yet, we are really busy, but I'll try to see about it soon."
Well, I said, "That doctor I saw, will he be in tomorrow?"
"Ah, no, actually he doesn't work here and isn't suppose to be here again as far as I know."
"Where is he from," I asked.
"Dr. Breeza?  He works out at Lakeside Mall"
Thank you deary, I thought, now I don't have to talk with you ANYMORE.
Called the store he works at, got a really GOOD customer service person named Brandon who gave me the time to ask my story and took down all the information and would have Dr. Breeza call me after he had my exam notes faxed over for him to read.
Fifteen minutes later I get a call.
Being an eye doc, he has familiarity with headaches he says.
In my case, when he shown the light, the light refracted in a different direction which would be due to the lens of my eye being mishapen.  That was a clue in conjunction with the white spots.  My eyes showed the development of presbyopia.  I have not looked up any of these terms just reporting back.  Also, the prescription I had was inadequate for me to see 20 20, though I was 20 20 with them a not long ago.  That would increase stress.  And there was development of astigmatism, which he said my neuro would be familiar with.  There has been some sort of extreme stress showing which was more than not being able to see
 20 20.  This sort of development over the short period of time since my last exam meant something was causing this.  I had also just recently gotten into bifocals, but my short sight, reading distance, had changed the most.  Quite a change in fact.  My history didn't show this kind of change in the past.  A natural decline in eyesight can occur with age, but the light defraction and white spots was a recent occurrance due to...what?  He sees lots of eyes everyday and the difference from one eye to the other was not usual.  These symptoms showed up in my left eye, which is my CH side.  One side differential of more stress on one side than the other, with related decline of sight on that side was saying something else was in the works.
  That's all I got.
This may not be what you were looking for or expected but that's the story.
Sorry I wasn't back to you sooner, this is my day off and I take care of my 94 year grandmother who lives nearby by herself.  She lives for this day to be taken out shopping and for my visit.  Also, my brother had recent bypass surgury and had infection problems and called and needed to be taken back to the hospital.  I sat with him until my other brother showed up and I left for a while.  Early this morning I had a dentist appointment and have also fought off three visits by "it" so far today during my waking hours.
This doc was just a good doc doing his job, but he wanted to keep his nose out of other docs business and didn't wish to stick his neck out too far, especially since I mentioned seeing a neuro and other md regarding the headaches.  He wished to bow out and not over extend his reach.  He said your neuro should be able to take it from there and to continue with your neuro's recommendations.  He said he made an observation, not a diagnosis, ok.  The headache stuff discussed is not on my exam notes.
IP Logged
Jayne
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Pull my finger!

Email

« Reply #40 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 6:14pm »

http://www.kellogg.umich.edu/conditions/refractive/astigmatism.html
IP Logged

If you haven't laughed today, it's been a wasted day. Smiley
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #41 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 6:16pm »

Let this be a lesson in asking questions while in the presence of the doc.  Seeing one or getting to talk with one without an appointment is frustrating.  Do it while you are there.  I'm episodic, twice a year for about three months at a time now.
IP Logged
Jayne
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Pull my finger!

Email

« Reply #42 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 6:16pm »

http://www.kellogg.umich.edu/conditions/refractive/presbyopia.html
IP Logged

If you haven't laughed today, it's been a wasted day. Smiley
t_h_b
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

primary chronic since 1999

« Reply #43 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 6:20pm »

Thank you, Kevin.  Now we have something we can ask our opthamologists to look at.

My vision has become "uncorrectable" in my cluster eye but I never made a connection with the clusters.
IP Logged

No, it's not a headache--it's a Stage Ten Primary Chronic Periodic Idiopathic Trigeminovascular Cephalalgic Crisis.
Mark C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Onward through the fog.

Email

« Reply #44 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 7:04pm »

Kevin do you use Imitrex? It builds in the tissues of the eye over time. I wonder if this is related.

Corneal Opacities: Dogs receiving oral sumatriptan developed corneal opacities and defects in the corneal epithelium. Corneal opacities were seen at the lowest dosage tested, 2 mg/kg/day, and were present after 1 month of treatment.

Melanin Binding: In rats with a single subcutaneous dose (0.5 mg/kg) of radiolabeled sumatriptan, the elimination half-life of radioactivity from the eye was 15 days, suggesting that sumatriptan and its metabolites bind to the melanin of the eye. The clinical significance of this binding is unknown.

Binding to Melanin-Containing Tissues: Because sumatriptan binds to melanin, it could accumulate in melanin-rich tissues (such as the eye) over time. This raises the possibility that sumatriptan could cause toxicity in these tissues after extended use. However, no effects on the retina related to treatment with sumatriptan were noted in any of the toxicity studies. Although no systematic monitoring of ophthalmologic function was undertaken in clinical trials, and no  
specific recommendations for ophthalmologic function was undertaken in clinical trials, and no specific recommendations for ophthalmologic monitoring are offered, prescribers should be aware of the possibility of long-term ophthalmologic effects

Imitrex Info

PFDAN's
Mark
IP Logged

Click The Flag
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #45 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 7:16pm »

In retrospect, I don't see where this doc said anything but regular eye doc talk.  But his astute putting together of facts and knowledge of what is in his opinion regular development of presbyopia and astigmatism at my age, and of the difference of their development between each eye led him to see something more than just being there to sell me glasses and tinting and denote the favorable results from lasar surgery these days.  A very good putting together of facts from observation and coming up with a theory.  This is just good science work.  I would not discount the knowledge already accumulated on this  
board in favor of one astute doctor.  We wish they were all this attentive, but this is a good example of applying years of knowledge and doing a good job.  Professionals like this are truly respectful and proof you  
can find doctors you can thank heartfelt when leaving,  He made the leap in cognition which we wish we could encounter more often, however he realizes how far he can take his job and when to know he's been helpful and done what he can.  Beyond that, we should be in the hands of other competent drs who deal with this.
  Appreciate the difference between information and  
knowledge.  Put succinctly, info is a body of facts, whereas knowledge is the understanding of what those
 facts mean.  
  "If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulder of giants."   - Newton
  "We cannot properly concetualize what we cannot express."    - Bacon
  Knowledge is not a transfer of true information but a personal construction of reality.
 All great science seeks not proofs but coherence.  Newton had no proof the earth moved or that the sun  
was the center of the planetary system. Science doesn't march ahead by proofs, science advances by coherency.
  Science is not about what is known, but about what is knowable.
IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #46 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 7:32pm »

Mark,
Thank you for the info and the link.  While "it" is in gear, for about three months, I infact overuse Imitrex.  Another piece to the puzzle.  Thank you all for the education I've received in this thread.  Very good insights have been brought to my attention, which let slip by because of periodically leaving this site.  There is really good info here and REALLY GOOD people.
         Kevin.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss