Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 1st, 2024, 10:49pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Frustrated... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Frustrated...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Frustrated...  (Read 389 times)
mem024
New Board Newbie
USA 

Mandy9701
Email

Frustrated...
« on: Jan 9th, 2004, 1:53am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am beginning to become frustrated with my family.  I have tried to explain to them what CH is after my doctor diagnosed it, but they do not seem to understand.  My dad does not understand how I could all of a sudden get a severe headache one minute and be fine 45 minutes later.  Today, he told me to go lay down or something, even after I insisted that would not help me.  Other family members tell me, "You are young and you will out grow this."  The attitudes and lack of understanding from my family is really starting to frustrate me.  My boyfriend is trying to understand, but he probably thinks I'm crazy or something too.  At some point, have all of you gone through this and how do you explain CH to your family where they will understand it and not look at you like you are nuts and think it is all something you have made up?
Thanks for the support you all have so far offered me.  It was a blessing to find this site.
Mandy
IP Logged
forgetfulnot

Email

Re: Frustrated...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 2:40am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Mandy, US FREEKS are here for one reason, well maybe 2. The first and foremost is to get clusterheads to read this and the ouch board, the second is to give compassion to anyone that trips up on our doorstop.  

That Inlaw crap is hard sometimes, I don't know what to do with that other than print some of the articles and shove them up there nose.

Lee Wink
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 5:51am »

on Jan 9th, 2004, 1:53am, mem024 wrote:
 The attitudes and lack of understanding from my family is really starting to frustrate me.    

At some point, have all of you gone through this and how do you explain CH to your family where they will understand it and not look at you like you are nuts and think it is all something you have made up?

Your first sentence is a very common theme here. You could add friends and co-workers to that sentence.

Click on the blue below, print it and give it to your family. Maybe if they see something in writing they'll believe the pain is very real.

http://www.ouch-uk.org/ch/note_colleagues.cfm
Simon’s (OUCH/UK) letter to employers and colleages
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 7:23pm »

Mandy,
Yes, such frustration is a common thing us clusterheads experience.  That is one reason why the Organization for Understanding Cluster Headaches (OUCH) was started.  There comes a time when something has to be done.  For all those who are tired of the status quo:  Please join OUCH so together we can promote the understanding of this disorder.

At this point, if I were you, I would not try to force them to understand what you're going through.  Oftentimes this can backfire and appear to be a call for attention.  They will either be somewhat sympathetic or they will not understand at all.  They can't truly understand unless they have CH.  All you can do it educate them, as BobG suggested.  When you get CH, scream and cry if you feel like it... some things speak for themselves.  Then when it's over, downplay it and carry on as if it never happened.  Don't let it consume your relationships.

To this day, my dad's cure for a 'headache' is to splash cold water on the face.  It's not his fault, he just doesn't understand.   Roll Eyes  But, he's also never seen me in the midst of a CH.

--- Steve
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 8:41pm »

Unfortunetly we can all relate here as to what you are going through and why you are so frustrated.

As hard as this may be, the last sentance in Steve's(eye-a-fire's) post may be what you have to do to convince them.  If printing out stuff here doesn't work, the next time you get hit in their presence, don't run and hide.  Let them see you.    When it's over, see if they say, "go lie down"  

Good luck to you and remember this.  We're all here for you.    Linda
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
Rick_K
New Board Old Timer
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 8:53pm »

Give me your Dads phone number I'll give him a good talking to.....hey jonny you got my back?   Grin

Print out the link that BobG has above and let him read it.  Also, read everything here and at the OUCH site.

Sorry you had to find us but we glad you are here.  You are with a group that truly understands what you are going through.

We can all say, been there done that.

Rick
IP Logged

episodic since 1969........damn
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss