Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 1st, 2024, 8:59pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Eye exam sees something »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Eye exam sees something
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Eye exam sees something  (Read 1925 times)
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

Eye exam sees something
« on: Jan 8th, 2004, 3:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I went for my every other year eye exam not long ago.  The dr gets me in the room and tells me to look straight ahead while he looks into my pupils with a light.  Looking in my left (CH) eye, he looks longer, sits back, looks at me and slowly says, " Have you ever had headaches, like bad ones, maybe wake you up at night"?  Stunned I stammered, "Yeah, I do.  Actually I have clusters, have you heard of them"?  He just nods.  "I noticed white around a certain area inside your eye".  
I don't remember his exact words because I was surprised.  He was familiar with clusters and was a bit solumn about it.  We just got on with the exam and all that but I really regret asking him what he saw or what it was.  I did need stronger prescriptions.  Does anyone have a clue or has any telltale signs been noticed by anyones optomitrist?  I am going to be sure to ask next time I go back.  Are optomitrists trained to know such things and DAMN, what was it he saw.  I'm curious as to how an optomitrist can diagnose clusters when most MDs can't, and by looking in your eyes.     Kevin
IP Logged
Janzokris
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

Y me???????????

Re: Eye exam sees something
« Reply #1 on: Jan 8th, 2004, 3:50pm »

HI Kevin

I went for an eye test 3 months ago and was told my left eye (CH eye) has detoriated really badly and now I need to wear my glasses all the time when before I only wore them when driving. As I was not aware of CH then I assumed it was because of my general bad health - UC Colitis, back problems etc. but I will mention to him next time I go as I feel my left eye getting worse everyday

Janet
IP Logged

Please someone take this pain away and let me sleep!!!
Little Deb
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Please SPAY and NEUTER all dogs, cats and idiots!

debbie4278  
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 8th, 2004, 3:51pm »

Dude, don't wait till your next visit!!!  Call the office or go back and ASK HIM!!!!!!!

I will be going to the Opthamologist soon, and will see what he says.

little deb
IP Logged

Adopt a shelter pet!
Miklos
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 8th, 2004, 3:54pm »

I have never heard of such an observation before. My opthamologist has never suggested anything odd about my eyes except that I needed cataract surgery for both eyes in 1989 and that they are both squinty and beady.  

It would be interesting to know what anomaly he noticed. Please call him back and ask; share the answer with us.
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2004, 3:54pm by Miklos » IP Logged

Don't be offended by my frank analysis. Think of it as personality dialysis.
Paigelle

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 8th, 2004, 4:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Use to work for an optometrist!  Sometimes the white spots around the back of the eye will show nerve damage or tears.  In diabetics, white spots sometimes are where the vessels in the eye break and bleed.  Now for the scariest part, I hate to say this, but I this is something that I have to accept as what could be a part of my life.  When there are alot of "white spots" it could be a sign of macular degeneration.  My grandmother, who had CH but hasn't had an attack in years, has macular degeneration and is now considered legally blind.  Macular degeneration is definitely hereditary, but you can takes steps to prevent it.  With eye problems, you need to take a supplement with lutein in it.  You can also get lutein from spinach and other greens.  Call your doctor back and see what is going on.  It is your vision and it is something if lost, you probably won't ever get it back.
IP Logged
ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

The BEAST rises again, and again, and again, and .

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 8th, 2004, 4:08pm »

on Jan 8th, 2004, 3:54pm, Miklos wrote:
they are both squinty and beady.

Nope, ain't a gonna do it.  Too easy ... Damn, Maybe I should?  Nope WAY too easy a target!

Kevin, my eye doctor has noticed a white spot on the back of my eye, also.  He says it is not changing (for me) as he has watched it for the past 5 years.  BUT, he never mentioned the headaches!  Very interested in why your doctor imediately asked about the headaches!

BTW, thirty lashes with a wet noddle for not asking when you were there!!!  AND you now have to stand TWO watches at your spot on the oar!  (Wait until Cottie gets ahold of you!) Get in position!

Chuck
IP Logged

"No man can be happy without a friend, nor be sure of his friend till he is unhappy."
Thomas Fuller
Woobie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I luv you guys!!!!!!!!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 8th, 2004, 4:08pm »

I agree... call him back - tell him it's been bothering you and you wanna know again

that's interesting!!

tina
IP Logged
LasVegas
New Board Veteran
USA 

Episodic CH since 11 yrs old, now 39.

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 8th, 2004, 4:16pm »

Two months ago I went to the eye doc to get a new script for my glasses.  Haven't been there in three years and no changes at all.  The doc had a new machine which you look into and it photographs the interior of the eye for disorders not able to be seen without this machine.  Nothing to report but good news.  Furthermore, no significant deterioration of my CH (left) eye vs the right one.  Maybe i'm blessed.
Gregg in Las Vegas
IP Logged

Wishing all a Pain Free 2008!
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #8 on: Jan 8th, 2004, 4:43pm »

I do regret not responding with my usual curiosity.  I guess it was because I was there for something completely different and it threw me.
I go to some big chain outfit and they just assign you a doctor that works for their chain.  He may have come from another store.  Anyway, you guys have got on me enough, I'm going to try.  I am sure they have on their records the Dr who examined me.  I will go back and ask.  I don't know the odds of talking to that same Dr., they may just have me talk to whoever is on duty and the answer may not be the same.  
I knew when he asked me if "they were really bad ones that I had been woken up at night with".  That told me he was being specific.  
I will go back and try to speak with him, but realize I'm expecting really good customer service from a chain store outfit.  I can be politely persistant.
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 8th, 2004, 4:48pm »

A few months ago someone asked about the relationship of eye disease and cluster. I did a quick check on PubMed  revealed such a broad range of eye disorders which CAN lead to headache (not necessarily cluster) that it's only possible to say: follow-up with an M.D. eye doc.
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2004, 4:49pm by Bob_Johnson » IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #10 on: Jan 8th, 2004, 5:02pm »

Well, whatever he saw, I'm not thinking its a cause, more of an effect.  The point was, the accurate assumption he made with what he saw.  His one question he asked after looking inside was right on the money.  I've never had that accurate a question asked after one look from a completely strange doctor.  Believe me, it would have floored any one of you.  I was speechless with curiousity as to how he decided to ask that question.
And thanks, I was looking for that word, opthamologist.
IP Logged
Little Deb
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

debbie4278  
WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 8th, 2004, 5:02pm »

I don't know how to do those quotie things....

"I can be politely persistent"???????

Be a f'n bastard if you have to- and track HIS ass down!!  Along as he is still alive-  you CAN and SHOULD talk to HIM!!!  You have a phone book??  Meet him at his front door!!  Do not take no for an answer!

being as politely persistent as my patience will allow...little deb Grin
IP Logged

Adopt a shelter pet!
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #12 on: Jan 8th, 2004, 5:04pm »

Paigelle,
Thanks for the insight.
IP Logged
Little Deb
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

debbie4278  
WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 8th, 2004, 5:12pm »

Hey Kevin M-New board newbie, your profile doesn't show your location....where are you??

No, I'm not coming after you!!!LOL!!  Just curious in case you are close to Raleigh for the get together.

sweet, gentle and kind...little deb heart
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2004, 5:12pm by Little Deb » IP Logged

Adopt a shelter pet!
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #14 on: Jan 8th, 2004, 5:31pm »

Thought I did a profile back in January 2001 when I found this place.  Been here off and on, mostly when it was in old board format.  Detroit, Deb.
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2004, 6:13pm by Kevin_M » IP Logged
Little Deb
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

debbie4278  
WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Jan 8th, 2004, 5:43pm »

Oh! Good!  Then you are only about 14 hrs away!  See ya Jan. 31st in Raleigh!!!

where there is a will.....little deb
IP Logged

Adopt a shelter pet!
FrankW
New Board Newbie
Sweden 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #16 on: Jan 8th, 2004, 6:03pm »

Hi Kevin

Was going to comment on the Pet peeve thread that I just told my mother that I had clusters only to get the response that my sister had been diagnosed with that and had to lie down in a dark room to deal with them.  

Point is she also said the headaches she remembers me having as a kid were thought to be something to with missing color pigments in my eyes. Some optician claimed that when they were looking for the cause.

Even while suffering the only eye trouble I ever have is one of them drooping - 'cept now when my arms are getting shorter.

So I also ask to please call and find out what he is talking about!!

Frank
IP Logged
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #17 on: Jan 8th, 2004, 9:20pm »

From the Medical Info:

Quote:
A transitory, partial Horner's syndrome (pupillary miosis and lid ptosis) occurs in two-thirds of patients when they are examined during attacks (Ekbom, 1970a) and is a useful sign in the differential diagnosis of facial pain.  It is highly characteristic of the cluster headache syndrome and, after repeated occurrences, it may become a permanent feature (Riley and Moyer, 1971; Nieman and Hurwitz, 1961).

Is 'pupil miosis' what your doc observed?

--- Steve
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #18 on: Jan 8th, 2004, 9:40pm »

Eyes,
That would be one good damn guess I'd say.  That bit of good research you did from that old accumulation of knowledge seems highly probable.  Thank you for sharing that.  I am very willing to bet that is what was recognized by the eye exam.
I'm not familiar with the medical terms used but I'd believe that would accurately be what was gathered by the good doc, who somehow seems to have read or come across similar or the same reading.  So glad you allayed much question about it.  Where did you find that, it seems like interesting stuff. Shocked  Thanks.
IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #19 on: Jan 8th, 2004, 9:44pm »

Eyes,
Horner's syndrome, I wrote that down.  I'm sure I can find something on that somewhere.   Thanks again. Wink
IP Logged
t_h_b
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

primary chronic since 1999

« Reply #20 on: Jan 8th, 2004, 10:11pm »

Kevin, please track down that opthamologist.  They absolutely have his name on your record from that visit.  

I can't find anything about white spots or degeneration other than permanent miosis and ptosis.  This could be something that we don't know about.

Also, I wonder HOW he knows about this.  Does he have other cluster patients?  Does he have clusters?  The way he asked you about them makes it sound like he didn't expect you to know that they're called clusters.  

It certainly makes sense that something that affects the eye in such a big way (pain, miosis, ptosis, photophobia, tearing, pain, pain, pain) could cause permanent damage.

IP Logged

No, it's not a headache--it's a Stage Ten Primary Chronic Periodic Idiopathic Trigeminovascular Cephalalgic Crisis.
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #21 on: Jan 8th, 2004, 10:54pm »

Yep, it's right there, where Steve (eyes) says it is, under medical info at the left.  Look under associated features.  I wrote down the author's names and will see what the local library has, and if not, the community college has on hand, and if not the medical library at Wayne State.  It is an apparent state of affairs that happens when one has been suffering with clusters for a time.
This should be a way to help confirm that a person may be suffering from clusters and also help in not wasting time guessing.  This should be more well known.  Again though, remember this is an uncommon occurance for a dr to run across and perhaps a minor part of schooling.  Many would be drs probably would think they would never be tested to diagnose clusters muchless finding this symptom, which they would refer to an opthamologist, who would not treat a cluster patient.  Finding a clue in the eye pupil would not be what any normal md would look for.  Most mds would have too big an ego to take a diagnosis from an eye doctor.  So we are left with unbelieving mds which we go to for help.  
  That medical info is perhaps hard to come by.  Glad it was here.  I don't like reading medical info because of all the big words, but this symptom would perhaps not leave much doubt about the probability of the presence of clusters.  
  Cheers for the guys who did these studies and came to the conclusions they did about their findings.  
  My nephew is in medical college, I am going to find one of these books, find the parts described at left, have him read it and FULLY explain this stuff to me.  
  Again, it's no answer to the problem, but quite an important way to start progressing with a medical program for helping someone who walks into an mds office for help.  And again, finding ways of coping with it, well, that's another hard look.  
  Communication between the medical communities about this would have surely have helped many from wondering what's wrong, and their dr not knowing either.  
  Thanks Steve for pointing out this out.  Those sounded like interesting studies.  Diagnosing is a part of the problem with clusters too.    
        Kevin
IP Logged
Little Deb
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

debbie4278  
WWW Email

« Reply #22 on: Jan 8th, 2004, 11:03pm »

Huh

..............................lil' deb
IP Logged

Adopt a shelter pet!
Renee
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

May we all find some pf time!  Is it summer yet?

Email

« Reply #23 on: Jan 8th, 2004, 11:05pm »

Kevin,

PLEASE go after find that opthamologist!

My left (CH) eye's vision has got significantly worse since my CH became chronic.

We really want to know more about how he knew you suffered by looking in your eye!!

PLEASE
Renee
IP Logged

23 years of battling the beast, 9 years chronic......uneducated docs/nurses make me irate.
The fungus among us is for real!

Rick_K
New Board Old Timer
USA 

« Reply #24 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 12:18am »

It should be no problem to find that guy after all he was your doc and they have a license.

Let us know...my eyesite seems to gets worse after each cycle and I thought it was just old fartdom  Smiley

fartdom....fartdomn...fartdum...fartdumb?  however it's spelled  Grin
IP Logged

episodic since 1969........damn
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss