Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 5:23pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Cluster Headaches a Metaphor for Anti-Abortionist? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Cluster Headaches a Metaphor for Anti-Abortionist?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Cluster Headaches a Metaphor for Anti-Abortionist?  (Read 1016 times)
floridian

Email

Cluster Headaches a Metaphor for Anti-Abortionist?
« on: Dec 15th, 2004, 6:53am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Here's a nurse/political columnist that seems to be suggesting that migraines are worse than cluster headaches and that abortion is like a migraine, but a cluster headache is what the pro-life crowd delights in inflicting on their opponents.  Oh well, who said she had to make sense ... but why drag us into it?  

Quote:
Passage of the Hyde-Weldon amendment has caused what is medically known as a "cluster headache" to pro-aborts (serious, but no comparison to the killer migraines abortionists cause babies when they crush their skulls with forceps while committing partial-birth abortion).  

http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=41948

IP Logged
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

Re: Cluster Headaches a Metaphor for Anti-Abortion
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15th, 2004, 8:44am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

WTF?
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Jeepgun

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 15th, 2004, 9:00am »

Bizarre....
IP Logged
becky8

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 15th, 2004, 9:59am »

huh???? Huh
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #4 on: Dec 15th, 2004, 10:02am »

WTF?   Huh    Angry
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
marlin
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Dec 15th, 2004, 12:25pm »

That set of comparisons don't represent the only set of failures in judgement and logic in this fascist's weak effort.  These numbskulls managed to stumble to the forefront for no other reason but that the Democratic party fails to undestand how to select an electable leader.  Pitiful and dangerous.
IP Logged
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 15th, 2004, 1:04pm »

on Dec 15th, 2004, 12:25pm, marlin wrote:
These numbskulls managed to stumble to the forefront for no other reason but that the Democratic party fails to undestand how to select an electable leader.  Pitiful and dangerous.

I agree.
and the scary part is...
I bet they haven't learned that lesson and will do it again next time.
sad
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
clarence
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wake up

nailinmyeye
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 15th, 2004, 1:12pm »

Strange article - really strange comparrison with the migraines and clusters...

Quote:
These numbskulls

Which numbskulls?  I am confused as to whom you are referring.  If you are referring to those who do not find abortion to be an adequate form of birth control, please do not lump us all together, as if this person represents the thinking of us all.  I don't think I am a numbskull.

Casey
IP Logged

NY Yankees Suck!!!

"Bart, don't make fun of Grad students. They just made a terrible life decision," Marge Simpson

Where I live: http://rainfallsoneveryone.com
Jeepgun

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 15th, 2004, 1:21pm »

Damn shadows... I wish I had a numb skull.  Angry
IP Logged
marlin
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #9 on: Dec 15th, 2004, 1:25pm »

on Dec 15th, 2004, 1:12pm, clarence wrote:
Strange article - really strange comparrison with the migraines and clusters...

Which numbskulls?  ... If you are referring to those who do not find abortion to be an adequate form of birth control, please do not lump us all together, as if this person represents the thinking of us all...  I don't think I am a numbskull.

Casey

I don't recall classifying abortion as a form of birth control and I seriously doubt anyone that has been through that trauma would either.  It's degrading and a serious oversimplification for you or anyone else to make that disturbing connection.  It's a last resort --  Period.  And it will always remain one whether or not the boneheads that insist on forcefully imposing THEIR will on others like it.  Anyone with that clarity of thought is hardly qualified to understand the consequences in pure misery that achieving their goals will inflict.
IP Logged
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 15th, 2004, 1:26pm »

I don't think you're a numbskull either, Casey.
I think/hope he's referring to the radical right, who is exploiting this issue for political purposes.

There IS middle ground on abortion and ultimately we'll get there.  No, it is not to be a birth control method, and I've seen it used that way and been disgusted by it.  But also to shoot doctors that perform them is even more disgusting... and hypocritical.  To deny it to a rape/incest victim is also pretty low, IMHO.

My personal responsibility is to never get anyone pregnant unless we intended it.  That way I never have to impose that decision on a loved one.  I think the numbskulls include the ones that are afraid to educate our children in how this all works too.

The CHristian right in this country is proving that it wasn't paying attention to CHrist in the first place, as his major lesson is that of tolerance, and we have the most violent, intolerant bunCH of bigots running the show right now.

my $.02
IP Logged

floridian

Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 15th, 2004, 1:45pm »

I didn't want to start a flame war ...  Having a position on a complex issue based on your experience, beliefs, etc does not make one a numbskull.  Twisting that position into a very strange and complicated metaphor about headaches that makes no sense what so ever (like the original author did) might qualify someone for numbskullery - in fact, I think it takes the cake ... regardless of whatever position that person took on the issue.
« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2004, 1:49pm by floridian » IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 15th, 2004, 2:04pm »

The scariest bit is this is supposed to be an educated person. Someone whose views influence others. Its like being in the middle ages or something. I'm not talking about the abortion issue, just the comparison.
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #13 on: Dec 15th, 2004, 2:24pm »

Ms. Stanek just got what I hope was a well written piece of my mind and an challenge to do something about her ignorance.  Here's what I sent her:

Quote:

I have read your article in the WorldNetDaily, "The new 'pro-choice' law that pro-aborts hate" Posted: December 15, 2004 and politics aside, I have to take major issue with the comparison you draw between Cluster Headaches and Migraines.  You make cluster headaches sound like a mere annoyance against "killer migraines."  I must correct you on this.  It is cluster headaches, not migraines that have been dubbed "Suicide Headaches" by the neurologists that treat them.  While the pain from a migraine can be debilitating, it does not even compare to the pain cluster headache sufferers endure.  I personally suffer from cluster headaches and know several migraine sufferers (my wife to mention one).  They would rather have a migraine any day over even one cluster headache (CH) attack.   Women who have given birth and have CH, say the pain of CH is much worse that childbirth.  Imagine giving birth up to 8 times a day.  Dr. Peter Goadsby, Professor of Clinical Neurology and leading researcher for the Institute of Neurology in London had this to say about cluster headaches:  "The pain of cluster headache is perhaps the most severe known to humans..." please see: http://www.ion.ucl.ac.uk/~headache/cluster.html  To find out more about cluster headaches, please go to www.clusterheadaches.org and www.clusterheadaches.com  There you will find more information on this subject than in any single location on the web.  You'll also find a very large concentration of CH sufferers who would be more than willing to share their experiences with you.  Many CH sufferers are very much enraged by your comparison in the article in question.  Please do yourself and all of us a favor and educate yourself on a topic before you minimize someone elses pain through a lack of understanding on your part.

If you are a crusader for women's rights and health care, it may interest you or more hopefully anger you to know that because of old stereotypes perpetrated by older male physicians, many women with CH go through hell before they get properly diagnosed.  They are told they have migraines or sinus headaches.  Many get all their teeth pulled and some even have nerves in the head severed to try to stop the pain.  None of this works to stop CH.  The old stereotype that "Women Don't Get Cluster Headches" is just plain wrong.  In fact, women do get cluster headaches.  The original ratio was thought to be 5 to1, but it may be as large as 2 to1.  If you want a windmill to tilt at, there's your story.  Maybe you can figure out why doctors refuse to diagnose women with CH and keep them from getting the proper treatment that may finally ease their suffering.
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 15th, 2004, 2:31pm »

Well I think that is terrific. A really good job, firm without being rude, educational and even an appeal to her feminist side.. you never know.. she might start campaigning for CH when she gets tired of the hobby horse she is on! Actually on second thoughts I hope she doesn't.. her talent for upsetting people we DON'T need!!
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #15 on: Dec 15th, 2004, 3:07pm »

Very well done Gator.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
marlin
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #16 on: Dec 15th, 2004, 3:12pm »

Nice work gator.  You might have added "SHOVE IT UP YOUR A$$" as a closing remark.  Her article is a waste of perfectly good electricity.
IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #17 on: Dec 15th, 2004, 3:15pm »

I just received this reply from MS Stanek.  Take it for what it is worth.  I don't know if she'll go out of her way to get the proper information, but at least she answered.  Many I have written to never even gave me that courtesy.

Gator

Quote:
Hi Mike,

I'm sorry I offended you, and thanks for the information.  I'm also sorry you suffer from cluster headaches.  I was using the terms in a sarcastic way, of course, to poke a stick at pro-aborts.  Thanks for bearing with my sarcasm.  I did not in any way mean to downplay the true cluster headaches folks like you suffer.

God bless you, Mike.

Jill
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #18 on: Dec 15th, 2004, 3:24pm »

Wow! Cool. Somebody out there is listening and answering.

But, in this case, is it a good thing or a bad thing?
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #19 on: Dec 15th, 2004, 3:29pm »

on Dec 15th, 2004, 3:12pm, marlin wrote:
Nice work gator.  You might have added "SHOVE IT UP YOUR A$$" as a closing remark.  Her article is a waste of perfectly good electricity.

Marlin,  

The kind of reply you suggest will endear neither us, nor our cause to people in the media that influence opinion and may help us in the future.  This woman watched a partial birth abortion and was so upset and disgusted that she became a crusader against it.  Crusaders, while sometimes dangerous, can be a useful tool to spread information.  I drew her a mental picture.  Who knows whether it may haunt her mind until she is driven to do something about it.

That's not to say that I haven't gleefully told a few people to go "Piss up a rope."  I can be just as venomous and hateful as anyone else.  I just don't want to burn any bridges to the very media that we need to help us.  

Gator
IP Logged
Jeepgun

Email

« Reply #20 on: Dec 15th, 2004, 3:29pm »

Way to go, Gator!! Nice job, and a great letter!
IP Logged
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #21 on: Dec 15th, 2004, 3:30pm »

"God bless you, Mike. "
sorry Mike, didn't hear ya sneeze!
gesundheit... laugh
IP Logged

Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #22 on: Dec 15th, 2004, 3:36pm »

on Dec 15th, 2004, 3:24pm, BobG wrote:
Wow! Cool. Somebody out there is listening and answering.

But, in this case, is it a good thing or a bad thing?

Only time will tell Bob.  The woman is a crusader.  Planting the picture of women getting their teeth pulled out or getting nerves in their heads severed because of a mis-diagnosis may spur something in her to help the women of CH which in turn helps all of us.  Most likely nothing will come of it, because she already has her pet "Cause" right now.

Or maybe I dun a bad thing.  We'll see.

Gator

IP Logged
marlin
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #23 on: Dec 15th, 2004, 3:49pm »

on Dec 15th, 2004, 3:36pm, Gator wrote:

Only time will tell Bob.  The woman is a crusader.  Planting the picture of women getting their teeth pulled out or getting nerves in their heads severed because of a mis-diagnosis may spur something in her to help the women of CH which in turn helps all of us.  Most likely nothing will come of it, because she already has her pet "Cause" right now.

Or maybe I dun a bad thing.  We'll see.

Gator

Perhaps you should have told her CHs are contagious and they can be transmitted over the internet to anyone that signs on to this site.  She would probably believe it lol!

Don't count on her for anything but a few hair-brained ideas.  Teaching "Intelligent Design" in HS science class comes to mind.  I'm sure she's an endless source of great ideas.
IP Logged
PollyPocket
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Someone I am is waiting for my courage.

Yennyfur_D  
WWW Email

« Reply #24 on: Dec 15th, 2004, 4:31pm »

Deleted my previous post:   I need to read ALL of the responses before I open my mouth.  Gater, your email was great and hopefully she will try to understand our pain and cause better.
IP Logged

“Life is all about timing... the unreachable becomes reachable, the unavailable become available, the unattainable... attainable. Have the patience, wait it out It's all about timing.” - Stacey Charter

"If I don't remember it happening, it never happened. Wink " - Tori
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss