Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 5:18am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Letter From A Friend In Iraq (Not CH) »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Letter From A Friend In Iraq (Not CH)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Letter From A Friend In Iraq (Not CH)  (Read 335 times)
Jeepgun

Email

Letter From A Friend In Iraq (Not CH)
« on: Dec 17th, 2004, 3:58pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Got this today from a friend of a friend. It was dated Dec. 12

Just wanted to write to you and tell you another story about an experience we had over here.

As you know, I asked for toys for the Iraqi children over here and several people (Americans that support us) sent them over by the box. On each patrol we take through the city, we take as many toys as will fit in our pockets and hand them out as we can. The kids take the toys and run to show them off as if they were worth a million bucks. We are as friendly as we can be to everyone we see, but especially so with the kids. Most of them don't have any idea what is going on and are completely innocent in all of this.

On one such patrol, our lead security vehicle stopped in the middle of the street. This is not normal and is very unsafe, so the following vehicles began to inquire over the radio. The lead vehicle reported a little girl sitting in the road and said she just would not budge. The command vehicle told the lead to simply go around her and to be kind as they did. The street was wide enough to allow this maneuver and so they waved to her as they drove around.

As the vehicles went around her, I soon saw her sitting there and in her arms she was clutching a little bear that we had handed her a few patrols back. Feeling an immediate connection to the girl, I radioed that we were going to stop. The rest of the convoy paused and I got out the make sure she was OK. The little girl looked scared and concerned, but there was a warmth in her eyes toward me. As I knelt down to talk to her, she moved over and pointed to a mine in the road.

Immediately a cordon was set as the Marine convoy assumed a defensive posture around the site. The mine was destroyed in place.

It was the heart of an American that sent that toy. It was the heart of an American that gave that toy to that little girl. It was the heart of an American that protected that convoy from that mine. Sure, she was a little Iraqi girl and she had no knowledge of purple mountain's majesty or fruited plains. It was a heart of acceptance, of tolerance, of peace and grace, even through the inconveniences of conflict that saved that convoy from hitting that mine. Those attributes are what keep Americans' hearts beating. She may have no affiliation at all with the United States, but she knows what it is to be brave and if we can continue to support her and her new government, she will know what it is to be free. Isn't that what Americans are, the free and the brave?

If you sent over a toy or a Marine (US Service member) you took part in this. You are a reason that Iraq has to believe in a better future. Thank you so much for supporting us and for supporting our cause over here.

Semper Fi,
Mark J. Francis
GySgt / USMC "
IP Logged
echo
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Chronic and still alive --- I Win!

Re: Letter From A Friend In Iraq (Not CH)
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 4:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Thanks for sharing Jeep.  

Wonderful.
IP Logged

"If you love something, let it go. If it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it".

Proud Dad of a US Marine, and a former Marine turned Police Officer.

The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 4:03pm »

Thanks for sharing Jeep.
IP Logged

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life
ExplodingEyeBall
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I can't think of anything clever to put here.

« Reply #3 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 4:10pm »

Wow!!!
IP Logged

Just poke out my eye and get it over with!!!
cschick

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 5:48pm »

How incredibly cool is that.  The children shall lead us.
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #5 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 6:19pm »

Quote:
The children shall lead us.

*sigh* If only we would follow... Sad Cry
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Ruth
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 6:25pm »

wonderful letter, what a little angel!

Ruth
IP Logged
K-9
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 8:23pm »

Thanks Jeep.  That was a nice read.
IP Logged
Bill-G
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 9:01pm »

I can't add to what Explodingeyeball said so I'll just repeat it

WOW!!  Grin
IP Logged

Had heard about CH and wondered if anything could posiiblly be all that bad. Seriously thinking of having idiot tatoo done on my forehead now
hilbily
New Board Junior
USA 

Take time to play

« Reply #9 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 9:08pm »

Wow! Thanks for sharing that, Jeep. Shame that when there's good news from Iraq the media doesn't want to report it. Let's keep Sgt. Francis and his fellow soldiers in our prayers.
IP Logged
Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

2008's my year to shine~SUN IS OUT!!!YAY

64720087 64720087   Reespirit   Ree16Angel
WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 9:11pm »

Amen... He works through us all... that was an incredible story... thanks Jeep... love ree
IP Logged

Proud Mom to US ARMY Kiowa OH58 PILOT~CWO2 SCOTT Hawaii, & USMC Vet~Now POLICE OFFICER SEAN, Citizen of the Month~ Breezy~ Nana 4 Matt/Mike&Aya, MIL To Shino Wife to Dave HI BILL!http://www.myspace.com/dungareespockethttp://www.prohawaiian.com
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 18th, 2004, 2:27am »

Pretty damn nice Frank.

Very nice indeed.

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
fubar
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 18th, 2004, 2:54am »

Frank,

I forwarded that story to my good friend, Mr. Steve Wozniak.  He runs a mailing list that reaches hundreds of people with jokes and pearls of wisdom (in addition to being one of the most incredible people of our time).  He liked it enough to forward it to the whole list.  Kinda nice thing, especially since he's pretty much not a Bush or Iraqi War fan.

-Fu

p.s.  I did comment that I thought the story was plausible, but seemed contrived.  I've not encountered too many jar heads that could write at that level, and you never know where that stuff really comes from.  In any case, I thought it was a touching story and well written.
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2004, 2:56am by fubar » IP Logged

"He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
becky8

Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 18th, 2004, 7:51am »

Loved it Frank, thanks
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss