Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 12:20am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « dense to bone density »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 General Board Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   dense to bone density
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: dense to bone density  (Read 330 times)
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

dense to bone density
« on: Dec 12th, 2005, 1:05pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

What's a bone density test like ? Got one scheduled tomarrow.......jus curious. Do they take long ? Doc  mentiond it is some what of a spine exray he can look at also since we are tryin to duct anouther MRI cuz I don't think my ins will pay for one or if so I pay 3/4ths. I don't need anouther big bill rite now. Do they show bone and spine conformation well ?? I hate tests......I will prolly break out in anuther rash Pam  

PS: he wanted one done to check for that brittle bone disease cuz I have crooked areas and at risk for it cuz of size ect....and my mom had it bad few years ago....they told her she could of fracture'd her spine just bending over. I think I am ok with it tho cuz I exercise and jump off stuff and climb stuff and fall off the stuff  I climbed and no BUSTED FRACTURES yet. (cept fallin off the dryer....but that was my foot) Just to be on the safe side he said but will also give him a pic to look at of things ???
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2005, 1:09pm by cootie » IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

Re: dense to bone density
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12th, 2005, 2:06pm »

Cootie its 1999 since I last had one and it might be a different type to the one you have to have. I had to be injected with a radioactive dye and wait for that to go around my body (bit scary when its done from within a lead shield  Shocked ) Then I had to go (lying down) through a machine and stop there while they took loads of different pics.  
It didn't hurt, it wasn't a problem (except for being a bit scary) the only tough point was, as a single mother with two small ones, I was told not to come into close physical contact with them for a few hours, they explained all about the half life etc but I don't remember it now to be honest. I do remember it upset me that they hadn't told me about that before so I could explain it to the kids.
I've refused more since as I can't see how it would be beneficial to me to have more and I worry already about the amount of x rays I've had to have for broken bones etc
Hope it helps a bit, let us know how you get on!
love
Helen
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 12th, 2005, 3:21pm »

Pam,
I had one of these tests done last week - piece of cake.  I didn't have to get injected with anything - I just laid on the table and a scanner took pics.  Nothing more than an x-ray.  In and out of there in 10 minutes.  
The only time I've had the dye injected that Helen's describing here was for a CT scan.  They must do it differently in the UK?  

And, aren't you proud of me for not asking why the hell you were on top of the dryer in the first place that caused you to break your foot?  Stay on the ground, woman!!  Shocked

p.s.  oh and sorry, no idea on how much this test costs.  That kind of stuff is covered here by our provincial health care plans.
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2005, 3:36pm by Margi » IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
jon019

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 12th, 2005, 3:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi Pam,

Do a Google search on "Dexa Scan". Considered the gold standard of bone density testing. 10-15 minutes and totally painless. 1/10 radiation of normal chest xray.
Pictures spine and hip bones. Results compared to a standard to determine if any bone loss present.

Margi's right-piece of cake. Don't sweat it!

Regards

Jon
IP Logged
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 12th, 2005, 3:41pm »

Yeah I had the DEXA scan last summer - most painful part was getting the results!  You'll be fine!  Smiley
IP Logged

cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 12th, 2005, 4:22pm »

I almost fainted when I read the word INJECTED !!!!! And for sum odd reason I always thought for bone density they set some sort of VICE on your leg or arm and squeezed real hard and some sort of machine could read how the bone was holding up and how solid it was!!!! Yeah like a mammagrahm of the entire body deal. I was gettin a bit nervous but the secretary told me it was more like a quick exray but that was it. I am rejecting injecting at this time in my mind Pam  

Fell off the dryer tryin to reach up to shelves that are up to the ceiling......stepped down onto a big pile of OLD shoes I was tossin out and got tired of tripping over. So.....what do I do......slowly step down feeling my way to the floor with my foot and lost my balance and stepped in the shoes which caused my foot to FOLD IN HALF longways and snap with a nasty spiral break. Guess you could say I stepped on my own foot with that same foot. Don't try that at home !!! It still hurts and swells.....guess it is cause it bled so much inside.....it was black on the bottom of my foot too !! And ya loose alot of circulation when that happens. I could of left ya all WONDERING about the dryer thing and said I enjoy'd the casual cycle !!!  Wink

* edit cuz I spelled leg wrong.........lill nervous I suspect.....
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2005, 4:25pm by cootie » IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 12th, 2005, 4:35pm »

on Dec 12th, 2005, 4:22pm, cootie wrote:
I could of left ya all WONDERING about the dryer thing and said I enjoy'd the casual cycle !!!  Wink

* edit cuz I spelled leg wrong.........lill nervous I suspect.....

crackup...and here I was thinking just that!

Pam good luck but keep away from the dryer! Wink

IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 12th, 2005, 4:58pm »

There is always the spin cycle on the washer.....and it is a heavy duty washer tooooooo !!! I think that is bone density enuff if I fall off and snap a foot.....guess I need more calcium Pam  Wink
IP Logged

Grandma_Sweet_Boy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

What Goes Around Comes Around!

« Reply #8 on: Dec 12th, 2005, 4:59pm »

What Margi said!  Sounds to me like Helen had an actual bone scan rather than just bone density.

I have a bone density scan done every other year - it's used to determine whether or not they need to add a calcium supplement to my diet.  It's hell growing old!

Don't know about where you live, but where I am - they do it as part of a routine checkup and more especially for women.  

It takes no time at all though and there's no injection involved if it's just the bone density they're checking.

Good luck -  
Carol
IP Logged
echo
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Chronic and still alive --- I Win!

« Reply #9 on: Dec 12th, 2005, 5:44pm »

on Dec 12th, 2005, 1:05pm, cootie wrote:
What's a bone density test like ? Got one scheduled tomarrow.......jus curious.  
 ???

First they whack you on the top of the head with a ball peen hammer and measure the size of the knot.  Paying close attention to "innie or outie" swelling.

Next they place your pinkie finger in a door jam and shut the door to ascertain how flat your finger gets before you wet yourself.

Thirdly they have you lay on your back on a metal bed expose your rib cage and use said ball peen hammer to play "Mary had a little lamb" on your ribs.  They use this to see how "in turn" you are.

Hope this helps.  Keep us in the loop.
IP Logged

"If you love something, let it go. If it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it".

Proud Dad of a US Marine, and a former Marine turned Police Officer.

Grandma_Sweet_Boy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

What Goes Around Comes Around!

« Reply #10 on: Dec 12th, 2005, 5:49pm »

Echo - ya need to find yourself a new lab technician.  The one you have is just way too rough! Grin
IP Logged
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

http://mushys.com/kiwi  
WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 12th, 2005, 8:16pm »

Cootie if it’s the same as what my wife gets done every year there is nothing to it, as Margi says in & out in 10 minutes.

My wife Nina has osteoporosis and has to take calcium supplements that are stabilising the condition.

Here’s a link The ABC's of a Bone Density Test

http://www.hon.ch/News/HSN/509134.html?bones

Kind regards
Barry
IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.
http://mushys.com/kiwi

[img]
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 12th, 2005, 11:47pm »

Thanks guys and thanks for the link Barry.......I had enuff pokes from the dentist the past few weeks so was not lookin forward to gettin anything stuck, smashed or clubbed. But I mite wish to do those things to others when I have to finish up my Xmas shopping tomarrow. Can I borrow your hammer echo Pam
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss