Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 2:06am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Help from other Pond Fish Owners? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 General Board Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Help from other Pond Fish Owners?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Help from other Pond Fish Owners?  (Read 97 times)
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

Help from other Pond Fish Owners?
« on: Dec 12th, 2005, 8:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

OK - So I live in Michigan, I've bonded with my pond fish and am trying to overwinter them outside.

Someone advised me to keep a pump running so the water doesn't freeze all the way to the bottom and use a small heater to keep a hole in the surface ice.  

That's what I've done so far.

This morning, however, I noticed the pump wasn't circulating.  When I went outside, imagine my distress to find one of my VERY sluggish fish had been sucked to the intake vent of the pump!  I was able to free him/her with the net and the stupid fish is actually still alive - but now I'm afraid to turn the pump back on for fear this will happen again.

Very long story, made a little less long.  Any advice?

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

Re: Help from other Pond Fish Owners?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12th, 2005, 8:46pm »

Sorry, this is all I could come up with real quick....I will search some more.

Popsicle Toes and Fishes!  

Some folks whose ponds are too shallow, too exposed to the elements… and find themselves in very inclement weather, are faced with the possibility of their pond freezing all the way to the bottom. This is very bad for your plant and fish livestock. If you are uncertain whether your pond may freeze altogether, it’s a very good idea to remove and store your livestock in another setting (garage, sunroom&#8230Wink in a large-enough, covered, filtered kiddie wading pool or such rather than risk their becoming non-living ice-cubes.  

An alternate strategy is employing various means to keep a good part (a couple of feet plus) of the bottom liquid… by covering the pond with straw, perhaps erecting a plastic dome, securing some sort of heat source (floating heater&#8230Wink, possibly using a fountain and pump during winter… to allow circulation and aeration at an open area of the pond. Several types of devices are available and offered by pond supply companies that can be visited (if you’re luckily situated nearby) or ordered through catalogs or the Internet.
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

pattik
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

northcolor4  

« Reply #2 on: Dec 12th, 2005, 8:51pm »

Kris, I don't know how many fish you have, but here in Wisconsin, many people who raise koi actually board them for the winter at pet stores that sell fish.  You may want to look into this possibility where you live.  Undecided
IP Logged

The voyage of discovery is not about seeking new landscapes, it's about having new eyes--Marcel Proust
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Dec 12th, 2005, 8:53pm »

Is is possible to put a small mesh screen around the intake for the pump leaving an inch or two clearance so the lethargic fish can't get caught in the suction?

Tom
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

http://mushys.com/kiwi  
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 12th, 2005, 8:55pm »

on Dec 12th, 2005, 8:51pm, pattik wrote:
Kris, I don't know how many fish you have, but here in Wisconsin, many people who raise koi actually board them for the winter at pet stores that sell fish.  You may want to look into this possibility where you live.  Undecided

I bet packing thier little suit cases is a hoot. Grin

Tom's idea should work to stop them getting sucked in.

Barry
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2005, 8:57pm by Barry_T_Coles » IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.
http://mushys.com/kiwi

[img]
broomhilda
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Ride it!

witchilda

« Reply #5 on: Dec 12th, 2005, 8:58pm »

Kris, my sister brings her fish from the pond into a larger tank into her home for the winter, good luck and keep us posted!

IP Logged

Suck it up Princess...

totka2
New Board Old Timer
Hungary 

Oxygen

« Reply #6 on: Dec 12th, 2005, 11:32pm »

We use a heater and a basket over the leak 'cos our cats love ice-fishing Grin
IP Logged

http://www.clusterheadache.hu
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 12th, 2005, 11:40pm »

on Dec 12th, 2005, 8:31pm, Kris_in_SJ wrote:
Very long story, made a little less long.  Any advice?

Turn the water off, and check back in April. If they're still swimming, you got a winning program. Boarding them for the winter is plain fucking nuts. You'd be better off eating them.

Just don't name `em first.
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 12th, 2005, 11:42pm »

My freinds have a big tank they set up in the basement and bring the fish in there for the winter. Suppose it depends on how DEEP your pond is to wether it will freeze up solid or not and kill them......fish sticks to go Pam  

Sounds like a cruel way to go............
IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

psiloscribe   pinkshroomrat
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 13th, 2005, 12:14am »

First, you need a floating heater that will keep a hole open in the top of the ice to allow dangerous gases to escape. vergitation on the bottom will continue to rot (although at a slower pace) and will kill them if the top freezes over completely for too long.

2nd, do NOT use a pump that will bring the water from the bottom, to the top (like in a water fall or spout). This will bring the warmer water to the top where it is below freezing, and freeze the pond solid. Keep the warmer water at the bottom where the fish are living.

If the pond isn't overcrowded, since they are in hibernation, they don't need much 02. No need to order a clustermasx for them.  
On days where its warm enough (above freezing) you could add a little water now and them. Just don't dump a bucket of HOT water in there.

If the pond is on the small side, its easy to pick up some netting that you could cover the pond with. you could cover the pond around the sides (leave the center open for sunlight that will warm the water below the ice) with leaves. This will stop some of the cold air from blowing across the top of the ice, freezing it deeper.

In the midwest, you really need to be 36 inches deep to make sure you won't freeze through. If you're 36-42 inches deep, you probably don't need to worry about anything at all.  

Don't forget....do not feed them until it's 50 degrees again!!

Bobw
IP Logged

"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."
"There is no passion so contagious as that of fear."
[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
www.obscuredview.blogspot.com
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 13th, 2005, 12:19am »

on Dec 13th, 2005, 12:14am, Pinkfloyd wrote:
No need to order a clustermasx for them.

This thread has achieved social redeeming value. The judges give two thumbs up.

++
RJ
« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2005, 12:21am by Mr. Happy » IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss