Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 28th, 2024, 3:16pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « What would you do if it was your child?? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 General Board Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   What would you do if it was your child??
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: What would you do if it was your child??  (Read 1053 times)
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

Re: What would you do if it was your child??
« Reply #25 on: Dec 22nd, 2005, 8:13am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Cat is right on on this one. The pull ups are great for now. Give him a couple of years. He's had enough trauma for now with all the surgeries. If nothing comes up that will correct the problem between now and a couple of years from now, then do the catherization.  

At 3 1/2 he's really not ready to learn to "potty" too much yet anyhow. Let him go ahead and use the "big boys" pull ups.  

You are right - kids can be so cruel and if there's a way to keep him from going thru the cruelty - then I'm on your side in this.  

One piece of "Granny" advice (and advice is good - you can take it or leave it) - Don't argue in "front" of Colin. Kids at this age pick up on a lot more than you realize. Just let him know you love him more than anything in the world and no matter what will always love him.  

Hugs,

BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Netherlands 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #26 on: Dec 22nd, 2005, 9:08am »

Sean,
Whats the rush to make a decision? At 3 1/2 theres still lots of time.

A mothers baby will always be her baby no matter how old they are.  
A father will want his child to be a man before his time.  

There is a middle ground somewhere there that will allow a decison to be made that is best for the child.
IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #27 on: Dec 22nd, 2005, 10:01am »

My 10 year old neuphew wears pull ups to school and changes them as needed.  He is accepted by the kids at school just fine.  Just thought I would mention that.  What the future holds for him who knows?  Personally I think I would do it the way you are thinking just to give him as much of a normal life as possible.  With my nephew it is phycological so there is no fixing to him.  I willl be praying for your family and that you and your wife can reach an agreement.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #28 on: Dec 22nd, 2005, 10:23am »

Karla, the old school thinking on those issues is that they're psychological. It's more likely a sensory processing disorder. There are meds for it, too. Have his parents ask their dr about a nasal spray for bedwetters. An evaluation by an Occupational Therapist may help, also. I'm going to PM this to you, also...just in case you don't come back to this thread.

Sean... I'm so sorry you and Barb are having to deal with this.  Cry  You've gotten some great advice and input here. I'm with the majority.  
1. You have some time to make a final decision.
2. Experimental surgery can be traumatic (and sometimes even dangerous), new things are discovered all the time.
3. A cath is much less likely to cause him any emotional trauma once he's in school.
4. Try to discuss this with Barb when he's asleep or not around. Kids pick up on things more than you'll ever know.

I'll be sending prayers and good thoughts to you guys.  
Much love to you, honey... hugs, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
rickyshot
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

ouch

« Reply #29 on: Dec 22nd, 2005, 10:29am »

What a tought situation. At first I thought WTF at your wifes' comments. But we all deal with stress in different manners. I am sure she is afraid of surgery for her baby. 30 years ago I worked in a rehab place in Grand Rapids , Michigan called Mary Free Bed Hospital on Wealthy street. They are still there. They are one of the best in the country for this sort of thing. Call em up and get the latest developements on bladder programs for a child as yours. I remember kids with spinal bifida and paralyed children and children with cerebral palsy who used straight catheters every two hours to go to the bathroom. The program was amazing and worked for a high number of patients. I can only imagine the advances in this sort of thing. Even an indwelling foley catheter is better than diapers and sitting in dirty diapers. Information is the key. Your wife sounds like she is panicking and she needs information. Try not to emotionally argue with her and feed the fire. Y'all will get nowhere and this is about your son not y'all directly.  
I am praying for y'all.
IP Logged
Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

2008's my year to shine~SUN IS OUT!!!YAY

64720087 64720087   Reespirit   Ree16Angel
WWW Email

« Reply #30 on: Dec 22nd, 2005, 1:44pm »

Hi Sean....  Gods love to you buddy... Life is hard... Well I wanted you to also know that using a catherder isn't as difficult as you would think... One of my daycare moms has MS and cannot urinate normally and has to use the Cath every time she has to go... Once he is taught its safe and easy.....actually its very clean also.. Love to you bud... Ree
IP Logged

Proud Mom to US ARMY Kiowa OH58 PILOT~CWO2 SCOTT Hawaii, & USMC Vet~Now POLICE OFFICER SEAN, Citizen of the Month~ Breezy~ Nana 4 Matt/Mike&Aya, MIL To Shino Wife to Dave HI BILL!http://www.myspace.com/dungareespockethttp://www.prohawaiian.com
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss