Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 3:14am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « De-sensitization to other types of pain? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   De-sensitization to other types of pain?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: De-sensitization to other types of pain?  (Read 995 times)
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

Re: De-sensitization to other types of pain?
« Reply #25 on: Feb 3rd, 2005, 5:54am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

In ER they asked me what my pain level was (for something other than CH). I told them I was "uncomfortable" enough to be there, but it was hard to judge pain other than CH.  

I think we develop a higher pain tolerance after a few years of battling CH. Before CH, a hangnail would send me to bed with a pain pill -- After CH - I went thru a cracked bone in my shoulder (and a few other things) without a pain pill. It hurt like hell, but it didn't bother me as it once would have.  

And as far as having a baby -- no comparison to CH. I'll take having triplets without gas any day over CH. At least you have something to show for THAT!

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #26 on: Feb 3rd, 2005, 8:56am »

I've always had a high pain threshold. With CH, this has only grown.
IP Logged

Her: "Have you ever hit a deer?"
Me: "What, like, in the FACE?"
Her: ..... "WHAT is the MATTER with you!?"
pattik
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

northcolor4  

« Reply #27 on: Feb 3rd, 2005, 10:00am »

This really is an apples to oranges kind of question, but after 21 hours of natural childbirth (drug-free not by choice--a long story), clusters win on the pain scale by a mile.
« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2005, 10:02am by pattik » IP Logged

The voyage of discovery is not about seeking new landscapes, it's about having new eyes--Marcel Proust
rickyshot
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

ouch

« Reply #28 on: Feb 3rd, 2005, 10:12am »

I have had a drug free labor and birth with my first lasting two day, and two caesareans after, I have had a bad abcess tooth, broken bones, and root canal. NOTHING compare to CH. And the thing about CH is even when you don't have the full blown pain, you are still feeling lousy from the shadows or after effect which can last for weeks. Shit you go to sleep and pain wakes you up and stays there. On and on.......The meds pisses me off too. They are just for pain but don't address the event going on in our heads. Doctorss have just started to acknowledge what migraine and ch suffers knew all along. It is NOT just a vascular headache, or stress headache I wish they would do away with all the crappy old literature. It is truly and event that causes a lot more things than pain (as if the pain was not bad enough). Y'all know......I am so glad to have found these boards. People who REALLY understand..... Smiley
IP Logged
juvy
New Board Hall of Famer
Netherlands 

Misplaced Texan

2487387 2487387    
WWW Email

« Reply #29 on: Feb 6th, 2005, 6:26am »

Perry,

yes i believe being exposed to such an exteme form of pain increase your pain tolerance....has to or most of us would go nuts.

wishing you PFDAN,
April
IP Logged

Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.
Melissa

Email

« Reply #30 on: Feb 6th, 2005, 8:28am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Let's just say that when I went in with contractions with my last child, they had to strap on a fetal monitor because they couldn't even tell I was in labor. Roll Eyes

Yes, it definately heightens your pain threshold.

mel
IP Logged
EmpressJMB
New Board Veteran
USA 

No Brain, No Headache

« Reply #31 on: Feb 6th, 2005, 7:21pm »

I definitely have a higher pain threshhold due to CH and I would rather give birth than have a CH.
IP Logged

...sometimes at night I think I understand. Brother to brother, man to man, face to face, hand to hand, the shadow dance that never ends. Shadow boxing the silent war within...yet again. Weir/Barlow
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #32 on: Feb 7th, 2005, 11:40am »

Welcome to the ch family and site, Perry. Sorry that you have CH... Sad

What comes to your question, I've been lucky in that sense that the pains I have are solely inside my head, CHs and regular HAs. So I have no idea if CH has had some kind of impact on other pains. I do hope so, though. Some good things should come out of it! Grin

Anyways, best wishes to you & loads of PFdays,
Sandie
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #33 on: Feb 7th, 2005, 2:22pm »

I've been in numerous carwrecks, broke my neck a couple of summers ago, broke numerous ribs doing various things, slammed my face and slid on it after a horrible bike wreck, and I've been stabbed a few times. None of that stuff is ANYTHING compared to CH.
IP Logged

Her: "Have you ever hit a deer?"
Me: "What, like, in the FACE?"
Her: ..... "WHAT is the MATTER with you!?"
Tiannia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life does not apologies......

Tiannia_L  
Email

« Reply #34 on: Feb 9th, 2005, 4:09pm »

I think that each person deals with it differetly. Kind of like the definition of a shadow.  It all depends on how hard a person gets hit, how often and such.  But I believe that we do react differently to pain because of CH.  Whether the pain is not as bad because we get hit. For me, I'd have to say yes.  But there are lots of things that could happen and I could see that the pain would be intense.  Would I freek about it, probably not. I think that is what docs have a hard time with.  It seems that no matter how bad pain can be because we are so used to being in pain (whatever the level) we are calmer about it.
IP Logged

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change. - Carl Rogers
Lucia
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #35 on: Feb 10th, 2005, 6:36am »

Well, I've had appendicitis (as a child) and had two babies and suffer from migraines as well as clusters.  And while the pain is different for all, the pain from a cluster has to be the worst.  For the appendicitis they just took it out and the babies came out on their own!  And Imitrex just knocks my migraines dead in their tracks.  But clusters, wow.  Mine come duriing sleep and before I had oxygen or Imitrex for them was the scariest and most painful time of my life.  Even now with help close at hand when I wake up for the first few minutes I almost can't breathe in the fear that nothing will help and I will be stuck for the next 90 minutes!  However, I can't say that I am more immune to other pain; I just am able to put it into perspective.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss