Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 6:11am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « altitude »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   altitude
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: altitude  (Read 574 times)
travelingman
New Board Newbie
USA 

altitude
« on: Dec 14th, 2004, 6:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

this is my first posting so overlook any goofs--just found you guys and boy am I glad!! Here is my question--does anyone have any experience with altitude on clusters--trigger? I have planned to climb Mt Kilimanjaro next summer and am working hard to get in shape but now reading your material about altitude affects  on CH??
IP Logged

steve
yikes-another-one
New Board Old Timer
USA 

dancenshout2002   joyflheart2004
Email

Re: altitude
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14th, 2004, 7:18pm »

well, low pressure fronts sometimes trigger a cycle for me,  and sometimes they do not.

I have flown with or without the CH  
not really a factor.  But the storms....hit with precision.

Whether you are in Montana or Siberia,
the Monster will come out when he wants to,
so just have the abortive stratgey in place...

O2 and a non-rebreather mask....
or the painkiller that works for you...

Imtrex, Zomig, ..... ....

and go and have a great time.

(Don't let the monster steal your life away.
   go on and live it to the max...)

TJ
IP Logged

Psalm 23 - Goodness and mercy shall follow US all the days of our lives and WE will dwell in the house of LOVE forever.
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 14th, 2004, 8:25pm »

I hike in the Blue Ridge mountains all summer, little bumps compared to Mt. Kilimanjaro... but I can get hit every trip up or down.  Once acclimated, it's fine.  It's the change in pressure.
« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2004, 8:27pm by vig » IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
sdasprsrock
New Board Newbie
Noflag 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Dec 15th, 2004, 12:07am »

I've been living in the mountains at 7000 feet for 15 years and have been getting CH for about 10 of them. I'm moving to sea level soon, I can't wait to see if I rid of them. But I have only had CH in the winter, so yes, it might have something to do with the low presure. Hope your trip is pain free!
-Nick
IP Logged
Redrum
New Board Junior
USA 

Doh!

« Reply #4 on: Dec 15th, 2004, 9:10am »

I have lived at 8500 ft. for about 15 years and my job requires me to travel as high as 10,000 on a regular basis.  prior to that I lived at sea level.  I have never noticed any significant change in my HA's that I would attribute to changes in altitude.

PFDANs ~Andy
IP Logged

It's hard to be an optimist when the glass is shattered on the floor!
sailpappy
New Board Old Timer
USA 

sail_pappy   sailpappy1
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 28th, 2004, 3:56pm »

GrinI dont  think altitude alone is the factor, its changing Barometric pressure, If your planning on flying an ultralight down or a sailkite you might pack your cold weather cap with snow or ice while at the top!  Pappy
IP Logged
Ruth
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 29th, 2004, 9:11am »

I have to agree with the others, altitude is not a factor for me, the beast finds me one way or another.
I hope you have a good and safe time on your climb.

Ruth
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 29th, 2004, 12:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I don't have much experience changing altitude when I am in cycle, and from what people have written, individual responses vary.  Being episodic and only getting hit in a 2-3 month window lets me plan a bit.  

One thought - oxygen aborts, and a lack of oxygen can trigger or predispose one to clusters (sleep apnea, smoking, PFO and other heart conditions,  etc).  I would say go for it, but make sure an O2 tank is nearby.  

IP Logged
jdiggity
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Dec 29th, 2004, 5:30pm »

I'm in about the 14th week of this attack of clusters.
I've already had 4 attacks today.
Instead of getting better, they seem to be getting worse.
Relpax and demerol aren't helping.
I've been out of work for over a week, and I just want this madness to end.

What works?
The pain is unbearable  Huh
IP Logged
Kirk
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

VINIMUS, VIDIMUS, DOLAVIMUS

161860987 161860987   kirk_jones511   krkevrtt
Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 29th, 2004, 10:01pm »

I spent a few months at over 14,000 ft. on the Alta Plana in the Andes last winter. My home here is 47 ft. above sea level
No change, I'm still chronic.
Go enjoy smokin
IP Logged

aceserve
New Board Junior
Puerto_Rico 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 11th, 2005, 12:08pm »

For the past four and a half years I have lived at 7,700 feet. Altitude has not been a factor that I can tell. CH cycles have commenced without any travel from my home city, and also after traveling down to sea level. So whether I'm at altitude or not when a cycle begins seems to be only coincidental. Also, I have moved in past decades from low-altitude to the high mountains, where I did climbing and backcountry skiiing, with no headaches coming on. Hope that helps, and may you bag that African peak!
IP Logged

Ahhh, what a relief to be pain free. Hang in there. Good times are comin'.
pattik
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

northcolor4  

« Reply #11 on: Jan 30th, 2005, 12:26pm »

I believe that altitude was a factor for me last summer, when after a two year remission, I had an unusual summer episode after spending 10 days at 11,000 feet in Colorado.  My episodic clusters usually occur late fall to winter, and since O2 works well for me, I am thinking that the thinner air might have played a role.  Perhaps living full time at high altitude would be different once you have adjusted, but it seems more than a coincidence to me.  Good luck with your trip, and take along a Rx for oxygen.
IP Logged

The voyage of discovery is not about seeking new landscapes, it's about having new eyes--Marcel Proust
Renee
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

May we all find some pf time!  Is it summer yet?

Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 30th, 2005, 8:12pm »

I've always found relief when going from the 500 ft above sea level at home to high elevations, about 7000 ft., until this past summer.  Then, what I thought was a good ch escape turned into a hospital stay while on vacation due to the ch.  It finally took several days of DHE via IV just to stop some of the most severe ch's I've ever had.

I don't know if it was the altitude or all the storms/rain in the mountains on that trip.  I guess I'll know more this coming summer.

good luck
IP Logged

23 years of battling the beast, 9 years chronic......uneducated docs/nurses make me irate.
The fungus among us is for real!

K-9
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #13 on: Jan 31st, 2005, 3:10am »

It might be in my head, but, the last two times I have flown I got hit and the hit didn't begin until about 26,000 feet.  The HA didn't stop, both times, until descending back down through the same altitude.  I guess I gotta stay below that.  Bring the O2 and try to have a good time!!!

Chuck
IP Logged
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #14 on: Feb 3rd, 2005, 12:30am »

I'm an ultralight pilot, and have flown several other types of aircraft, and I am now a scuba diver, as well. None of it seems to make much difference. As an episodic, I am either in cycle or out of cycle. I'm either getting hit or not getting hit, and I haven't been able to identify anything as a personal trigger.

-Frank
IP Logged

Her: "Have you ever hit a deer?"
Me: "What, like, in the FACE?"
Her: ..... "WHAT is the MATTER with you!?"
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Feb 3rd, 2005, 10:35am »

3 years ago I went to the Sierra to hike Mt. Whitney while in cycle.  My attacks maintained their normal frequency although I decided against the hike.

The following year, while not in cycle, we made the hike, 14,497 ft.  It didn't trigger anything ch related.

I agree, I'm in cycle or I'm not.  Altitude doesn't make a difference to me.
« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2005, 10:35am by Bob P » IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #16 on: Feb 4th, 2005, 1:12pm »

Hmm... I have not climbed mountains, so hard to say, but flights have not had any impact on my CH. I have had attacks before and after flights, but so far, never during one.

Good luck in taking that mountain! Don't let CH stop you from making your dreams come true! Smiley

Best wishes,
Sandie
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #17 on: Feb 4th, 2005, 1:18pm »

That's exactly it, Sandie! We are human beings with full lives, who happen to have a disorder, but we are NOT this pain. We are so much more, and the more we can marginalize it and keep it from consuming us and taking over our lives, the better our quality of life is going to be. I just refuse to let CH become the focal point of my existence. Screw that... When I'm in pain, I take a break and deal with it, and then get on with it. If I'm not having an attack at that very moment, I've got shit to do, and by god, I'm going to get it done and live my life to the fullest.
IP Logged

Sylvan
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #18 on: Feb 4th, 2005, 1:55pm »

on Feb 4th, 2005, 1:18pm, Frank_W wrote:
That's exactly it, Sandie! We are human beings with full lives, who happen to have a disorder, but we are NOT this pain. We are so much more, and the more we can marginalize it and keep it from consuming us and taking over our lives, the better our quality of life is going to be. I just refuse to let CH become the focal point of my existence. Screw that... When I'm in pain, I take a break and deal with it, and then get on with it. If I'm not having an attack at that very moment, I've got shit to do, and by god, I'm going to get it done and live my life to the fullest.

Amen
IP Logged
Mr.YL
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #19 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 1:12am »

B4 my teen years I was in a 727 flying over colorada ... the plane started goin shake , shake, shake, my guess is it was looosing altitude drastically, low an behold 600 miles later and remembering all the children screaming I ended up at my destination with one ^%*&&* pain in my head. This lasted for SEVERAL hours, I was to young to know about pain. YES barometer readings is something to look close at. Why? were? who? and treatment? Relationship unknown for me, though I know my canine hurts when the barometer changes.  
Mr.YL
IP Logged

keep livin clean...
TonyG1

Email

« Reply #20 on: Feb 13th, 2005, 8:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Feb 4th, 2005, 1:18pm, Frank_W wrote:
I just refuse to let CH become the focal point of my existence. Screw that... When I'm in pain, I take a break and deal with it, and then get on with it. If I'm not having an attack at that very moment, I've got shit to do, and by god, I'm going to get it done and live my life to the fullest.

Ditto Frank!  Well spoken!!
IP Logged
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #21 on: Feb 14th, 2005, 7:54am »

Thanks... Smiley
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss