Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 6:30am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Correlation between Physical Exercise and Attacks? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Correlation between Physical Exercise and Attacks?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Correlation between Physical Exercise and Attacks?  (Read 512 times)
SLanegan
New Board Newbie
USA 

I am an American Soldier!!!  Proud of what I do!!!

mastersergeantsean  
Email

Correlation between Physical Exercise and Attacks?
« on: Feb 9th, 2005, 12:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Got a question for anyone who can assit.

I am an active duty Army Soldier who is an eposidic sufferer currently in cycle.  Currently at my unit, we do PT (Physical Training) three times a week at 0530 in the morning.

Is there any evidence that conducting PT can help to trigger attacks.  Cause during PT in the morning I have been getting an attack that makes me stop what I am doing immediately.  Any correlation as a trigger?

Master Sergeant Sean
IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

Re: Correlation between Physical Exercise and Atta
« Reply #1 on: Feb 9th, 2005, 12:19pm »

I exercise lots every day but I haven't seen any correlation...but then again I'm a chronic, so I'll have CH any way.
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 9th, 2005, 12:22pm »

Some clusterheads have reported that sex is a trigger. Other clusterheads have reported that at the onset of a cluster headache, vigorous exercise can stem it from escalating.

Very best of luck to you, Master Sergeant!

-Frank
(US Army medic 91B, SGT, '87-'93, 78th Aviation Bn, Camp Zama, Japan)
IP Logged

Her: "Have you ever hit a deer?"
Me: "What, like, in the FACE?"
Her: ..... "WHAT is the MATTER with you!?"
ZAIRA
New Board Hall of Famer
Italy 

Brave to Stand !!!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 9th, 2005, 3:24pm »

Hello!  
When I feel I’m having an attack, sometimes  Grin I make sport and I’ve noticed that the attack doesn’t start. It seems that, running, the beast is tired Grin... this is my experience!

Good luck! Zaira
IP Logged

Love yourself, Love others, Love often, Forever!
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 9th, 2005, 3:38pm »

A paradoxical situation: for some folks, running can prevent the development of an attack--probably because of the increased Ox intake.

But several of us have reported that an increase in body temp--exercise, working, etc.--is sometimes a trigger for an attack.

If you are in the second group, using "Ergomar", one tab, about 1 hr before the exercise, often blocks the attack. This is an Rx med but the per dose cost makes it reasonable.
« Last Edit: Feb 10th, 2005, 6:40am by Bob_Johnson » IP Logged

Bob Johnson
dagger
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Feb 9th, 2005, 6:11pm »

Thanks Bob, for that bit of info.  I will try that next time I am in cycle.  As for the question, I do find a correlation between physical activity and attacks.  During my last cycle I went for a long hike with a friend and afterwards we were chatting in the parking lot and I could feel one coming on.  I then started driving home and had to do Imitrex on the way.  One other day I shoveled snow and got hit when I quit.  Usually I am a night time hit person, but will get hit during the day if I exert excess energy.  Another time I carried some boxes of stuff from my classroom to the basement of the school and got hit right after. I had made about eight trips.   So I turned into a couch potato for the rest of the cycle.  dagger
IP Logged
SLanegan
New Board Newbie
USA 

mastersergeantsean  
Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 10th, 2005, 11:39am »

Thanks all for your experiences.  I guess it is different with everyone.  One thing that I know for myself, is SEX does NOT trigger an attack.  Its kinda funny, even though my cycle is in full bloom now, and most of the time I walk around like a zombie, I still have the drive.  My wife laughs and says that nithing will ever stop my drive, not even CH.  Hahahahaha!!!  She's a trooper!!!

As for running and exercise, about a mile or so into a run, I can feel an attack coming, every time, so now I told my boss, until my cycle breaks I am going to stop running.  Will try some other sort of cardio...........hmmmmmmmm maybe my wife can help me there!!!!    Hahahahah

Master Sergeant Sean
IP Logged
Langa
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

So many donuts, such little time...

« Reply #7 on: Feb 10th, 2005, 11:51am »

Bob, the same happens to me...during workout, when in cycle, I get hit...if I get hit, and start a virgorous workout, it aborts the headache...

Langa
IP Logged

When you saw only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 10th, 2005, 12:35pm »

MSG Sean, that's a funny thing about clusterheads: Most of us have a VERY HEALTHY LIBIDO!! LOL!  laugh

Best wishes to you with finding some cardio that works for you. (Rowing machine, stationary bike, stair-climbing machine, swimming laps...) Lots of good options that are a lot less damaging to your knees than running! Good luck and PFDAN's.

-Frank
« Last Edit: Feb 10th, 2005, 12:36pm by Jeepgun » IP Logged

Her: "Have you ever hit a deer?"
Me: "What, like, in the FACE?"
Her: ..... "WHAT is the MATTER with you!?"
Wendy1
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 11th, 2005, 11:37pm »

M S Sean,

Many ppl here don't have problems with exercise and h/a, and some say it will relieve one.

I, on the other hand find exercise, overheating to be a HUGE trigger for a headache when I'm in a cycle.  Overheating is a overall trigger for me... so exercise is nixed.

Wendy
IP Logged
buckeye_mike
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

25608711 25608711   mrtoughy_  

« Reply #10 on: Feb 12th, 2005, 12:44am »

hey sarg,

im no longer active but i can tell you that  pt often triggered episodes with me especially if it was a nice MSG 1SG run that lasted 6-7 miles Grin ..... i can also say that when i would jump i would almost always have an episode if i was in cycle.   Ohh  and when all else fails remember "Rangers Lead the Way" even with a CH Smiley
IP Logged

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/718441
SLanegan
New Board Newbie
USA 

mastersergeantsean  
Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 12th, 2005, 3:23pm »

Your right Buckeye, "Ranger do lead the way".  I never had the op to go Ranger, when I first enlisted was an 11H - Wire Guided Death, 3270m.  One shot, one kill.  

PT only in a run will it trigger an attack.  I can do PUs and SUs, and all the other type stuff, but any type of running, be a long run or even sprints will trigger.  Stick a fork in me................Augh, I'm done!!!!

Stay Army!!!!

MSG Sean
IP Logged
Netherlands 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #12 on: Feb 13th, 2005, 9:09am »

For me the trick is in the breathing and a slow build up and cool down period.
Shifting the blood flow to other parts of the body is only part of it. Work on the breathing and see if that helps.
IP Logged
buckeye_mike
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

25608711 25608711   mrtoughy_  

« Reply #13 on: Feb 13th, 2005, 1:38pm »

well i also can tell ya i would take sumpin every mornin for PT usually the old army 800mg ibuprofen aka army candy and it would seem to help a lil..... and i also would have stayed army had i not gotten hurt in afghanistan and lost my jump status Smiley.. once you are a ranger the thought of goin back to being a leg is quite scary.... laugh   I had a few friends that wre 11 hotshots Smiley and the thought of a lil wire  guiding my round scares the sh*t outta me.... id rather one shot one kill from about 50 meters with my m-4 Smiley.... i miss it imensly thanks for keeping us vets and americans stay safe!!!
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2005, 2:05pm by buckeye_mike » IP Logged

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/718441
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss