Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 3:47am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Want info on melatonin »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Want info on melatonin
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Want info on melatonin  (Read 976 times)
athome
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

Re: Want info on melatonin
« Reply #25 on: Jan 18th, 2005, 12:30am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Thanks so much Richard!! I have it at hand and just got off the chat room where I asked some last minute ??  I will experiment tonight and will be back to tell all what happened.
IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #26 on: Jan 18th, 2005, 2:03am »

on Jan 17th, 2005, 11:21pm, athome wrote:
I am just looking for something to get me thru this cycle and allow me to return to a normal life.  Thanks!!

If there's one thing you need to hammer thru your head: This Ain't The Last Cycle. It's going to repeat itself. Learn from this one, so the next one won't be so bad, and you know who to call.

Of O2:  
1. Cut the strap off the mask.
2. Make sure the intake valve (between the bag and mask) is functioning properly.
3. Put tape over the exhaust valves on the sides of the mask so they don't work.

Procedure:
1. Turn on the O2 and let bag fill.
2. Press mask against face with one hand and squeeze the bag with the other hand, inhale deeply.
3. Release the bag and pull mask slightly away from face, exhale through mouth, blowing the air down away from the mask.
4. Repeat #2 & #3.

That's the O2 thing,
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
JoeS
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Junior
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #27 on: Jan 18th, 2005, 6:16pm »

For those looking for time-release melatonin: Melatonex is the only brand I've found that is time-release.    I've found it in CVS pharmacies, but nowhere else.    It is pretty expensive ($10 for 30 pills x 3mg), so I'm still looking for other brands.     Sam's Club sells a large bottle of "Schiff" brand for very cheap (but it's not time-release).
IP Logged

Your mileage may vary. See your doctor for details. Offer void in Tennessee. Past performance is not indicative of future results. No warranty is expressed or implied. Do not taunt happy fun ball.
River_Rat
New Board Old Timer
USA 

NUFF SAID!!!

realtornorm  
Email

« Reply #28 on: Jan 18th, 2005, 7:25pm »

Thanks for this thread, I picked some up today.........We'll see

PFDAN

NORM
IP Logged
athome
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #29 on: Jan 18th, 2005, 9:34pm »

RJ
thanks for the info - I understand that another cycle will come but I am trying to just get thru this one.  If I begin to focus on the fact that there will be another cycle I will go crazy Tongue  One day at a time for me.
I will try that method with the o2 next time.  I feel that the o2 helped - I still needed to apply ice since after 15 min of o2 I was still left with about a k2.  I think the hit did not last as long and never got that painful (k4-5).  thanks!
JoeS
Thanks for the info on time-released melatonin - I had not found any.
NORM
Good luck with the melatonin - PFDAN
IP Logged
River_Rat
New Board Old Timer
USA 

NUFF SAID!!!

realtornorm  
Email

« Reply #30 on: Jan 19th, 2005, 9:18am »

Thanks for the well wishes, but I tried 6mg melatonin and 25mg benadryl at 9pm, I was hammered at 11, 3, 6, took .25 trex injections each time. It seems like that is all that works for me.

Last Cycle I took a 2.5mg Amerge morning and night and completely knocked them out, (no insurance this year, verry very expensive) anyway, they killed them so much so that I thought I was done and quit taking them, found out that they were just being controled.

For some reason the 02 wont even touch these things any more, I will make a seperate post on that, I may be doing something wrong.

Good luck everyone

PFDAN

NORM
IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #31 on: Jan 19th, 2005, 10:02pm »

Don't feel alone, Norm.  Melatonin doesn't work for everyone.  It seems that especially for chronics it can make the attacks worse.  I started off at 1mg, then 3mg, then 6mg, 9mg and finally 12 mg upping the dose every 4th day.  I started getting additional hits throughout the night.  I stayed on it until the bottle was empty giving it that one more night.  I won't be buying more melatonin.

Next!

Gator
IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #32 on: Jan 20th, 2005, 1:59am »

on Jan 19th, 2005, 10:02pm, Gator wrote:
Don't feel alone, Norm.

Shit. I feel a picture coming on.....

Quote:
Melatonin doesn't work for everyone.  It seems that especially for chronics it can make the attacks worse.  I started off at 1mg, then 3mg, then 6mg, 9mg and finally 12 mg upping the dose every 4th day.  I started getting additional hits throughout the night.  I stayed on it until the bottle was empty giving it that one more night.  I won't be buying more melatonin.

I'm no friend of melatonin either, no (or not much) disrespect intended to those who find it useful. For me, it was more of a Nerf Football in the playoffs.

Much as I love O2, Rat, you're trying to beat down Night Time Nasties with it, and I never had no luck with that in under one very long 1/2 hour. Unless you're devoted to chewing Alt's, it's triptan up and huff air at night, waiting for the nut to crack and drain.. Nasty situation, hell of a choice.

It's not my fault....
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss