Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 2:09pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « What Can I take if I want to have a Drink »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   What Can I take if I want to have a Drink
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: What Can I take if I want to have a Drink  (Read 701 times)
Don_Juan
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

What Can I take if I want to have a Drink
« on: Jan 18th, 2005, 9:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello everyone,

I used to take some advil before having a drink and that worked until my tolerence for the advil was so high. Keep in mind I was also taking it in the middle of the night as well (this is before I found out that I have clusters).  I went to the doctor and he gave me predisone and verapamil.  That got rid of the headaches but made my blood pressure to low and wierded me out.  I did go out and have a few drinks without a H/A but once off the predisone I again couldn't have a drink without getting a cluster.  The verapamil still helped at night but my heart just didn't feel right and I didn't seem to care about anything.  I quit taking the verapamil and of course the H/A are back! I plan on asking my doctor for oxygen for the night time hits and was wondering if there is anything you can take if you want to drink a few beers.  I'm talking on special occassions, like 3-4 times a year.  I've accepted that I just can't have a beer like everyone else on the weekend.    

Thanks, Don
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: What Can I take if I want to have a Drink
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18th, 2005, 9:42pm »

A lot depends on whether it's a trigger for you only during an episode, or if you're a chronic that gets CH fom drinking. You can only know that for sure if you have a drink a few of days after you're sure your episode is over. And that doesn't mean that it will be the same way forever. One thing is sure...things change.
BTW  Advil won't help hold off a CH, nor will it ease the pain from one.
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

lastchantsranch   babbleontn
Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 18th, 2005, 11:25pm »

All three of the bars I go to stock Busch NA (non-alchoholic) for me.  I was a Busch drinker anyway, and you really can't tell the difference . . . . have tried some of the other non-alchoholic beers . . . so far, most of the others . . . I'd just as soon do without.
IP Logged

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
Don_Juan
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 19th, 2005, 12:09am »

I agree with you on the advil (liquid gells).  I was eating them like candy and (at that time) they did work if I took enough of them (stopped at 2000 mg).  I knew they were going to eat a hole in my stomach if I didn't stop.  I also think taking so many caused my headaches to become chronic and become more frequent.  I wouldn't reccomend it to anyone!

ps.  since i've been getting the H/A again after getting off the verapamal I did try advil one night thinking my tolerence might be low again and 800 mg didn't do crape. In fact I had more shadows the next day which I usually don't get in the day(unless I take a nape or were to drink a beer). THis is when I started thinking that maybe all the advil I was taking prior to being diagnoised was only making it worse (becoming cronic).
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #4 on: Jan 19th, 2005, 12:13am »

Probably less about becoming chronic and more about rebounding.
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
JoeS
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Junior
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 19th, 2005, 7:59am »

Quote:
Probably less about becoming chronic and more about rebounding.

Yep.  Check out this thread in the medications section:  
http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=meds;action= display;num=1106065339

Specifically, here's the link that nani posted: http://www.montana.edu/wwwebm/Archives/DrugReboundHA.htm

By the way, I can't even THINK about having a drink when in cycle.   Fortunately for me, I'm episodic with relatively short cycles, and I can drink when in remission with no problems.
« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2005, 8:02am by JoeS » IP Logged

Your mileage may vary. See your doctor for details. Offer void in Tennessee. Past performance is not indicative of future results. No warranty is expressed or implied. Do not taunt happy fun ball.
Redneck

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 19th, 2005, 7:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I am episodic and love my beer  Smiley. But when in cycle I cant touch anything with alcohol. A few weeks after I am REAL sure the cycle is over I can drink what I want.  
But then I am weird, even reading to much can trigger a headache. I like to read as much as I like beer  Grin
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 19th, 2005, 7:38pm »

A trip to Nashville worked for me  Grin

Unsolved
IP Logged
Chillrmn1

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 21st, 2005, 6:10am »

Bring whatever you use to abort clusters- seems the beast likes to join most people in their alcohol indulgements. AND HE JOINS YOU FAST.
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 21st, 2005, 6:18am »

A reality check bro......... or suffer from the consequences

I love my beer, I love my cocktails........
Stopped drinking then HA started dwindling so I played and realized it did not trigger so I indulged.....still did not trigger.....CH came back in a flurry but still does not trigger.......lucky me but now on Topamax........Suds=Nasty Sad Angry=No brew or I'll have to just enjoy my Stout and hopefully that doesn't effect the taste of that lol.

If it triggers then find another way....

Good Luck!

Eric
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Langa
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

So many donuts, such little time...

« Reply #10 on: Jan 21st, 2005, 8:56am »

on Jan 21st, 2005, 6:10am, Chillrmn1 wrote:
Bring whatever you use to abort clusters- seems the beast likes to join most people in their alcohol indulgements. AND HE JOINS YOU FAST.

Exactly...
IP Logged

When you saw only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.
Bethany1
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Always do whatever's next.

« Reply #11 on: Jan 21st, 2005, 11:27am »

Don, do whatever you like, just be prepared.  

Bethany1
IP Logged

I am sofa king we todd did.

crack is wack
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 21st, 2005, 11:35am »

Don, I have to interrupt here and ask you some questions.

How do you know you're chronic?  How long has it been since you've had any pain free time?

There are some chronics who can drink without it triggering them, that's why I ask.  Alcohol is much more of a trigger for episodics.  

Next, you say you stopped taking verapamil and that you were at 800mgs of it?  Or did you mean that you were taking 800 mgs of Advil?  I'm confused.  You absolutely should NOT quit verapamil cold turkey - please hear me on this.  Doing so could cause drastic and dangerous spikes in blood pressure and that could be life threatening.

You say you want oxygen for the night time hits.  Oxygen works well at any time as an abortive.  Crucial that you use the proper delivery method though (at least 10 litres per minute through a non-rebreather mask).  It's not only for night time, so don't feel your limited to only using it then.

Lastly, I gotta say it - why not just NOT drink?  If it causes you pain...   sorry, I know it's none of my business but why play with fire?

IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
Biker
New Board Old Timer
USA 

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #13 on: Jan 21st, 2005, 7:12pm »

I found I can only drink wimpy "Light" beer, and only clear liquer.    When in cycle, I cannot drink anything.  I have even dropped imitrex before going to the bar, and still get an attack.  I decided that any alochol during a cycle is plain foolishness.  Yep, I sure miss my drink---especially in the summer when Im out with friends and friends are all getting slammed.   But to bring on the pain, is pure insane.
IP Logged

Ride it like ya stole it.
forgetfulnot

Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 22nd, 2005, 7:29pm »

Way back when I started Lithium I've been able to destroy my liver with no headaches,

Lee
IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #15 on: Jan 23rd, 2005, 7:58am »

How about water, bro? Wink

I'm chronic, on verapamil currently, and having CH has turned me totally sober...  Tongue
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #16 on: Jan 23rd, 2005, 8:50pm »

Mostly summing up a lot of good info from several posts into one.

1.  Painkillers really do nothing for CH and even cause more pain in the form of rebound headaches.  

2.  You should take your meds as prescribed and discuss any side effects immediately with your doc so s/he can adjust the dosage or change your meds.

3.  Quitting Verapamil (or many other ch meds) cold turkey can put you on a cold slab.

4.  Margi has a valid question that you need to answer more for yourself than anyone else:  If it causes you pain, why drink at all?  You can raise a toast with coke or orange juice or sparkling grape juice.  The fun should be in the socializing not in the drinking itself, anyway.

5.  O2: it isn't just for bedtime anymore!  LOL  If O2 is going to work for you at all, it will work for your attacks day or night.  It's less expensive and fewer side effects.  10 to 15 lpm via non-rebreathing mask for 10 - 20 minutes.

6.  Like Biker said:  ...to bring on the pain, is pure insane.  

7.  If you are bound and determined to drink, bring your O2 tank and your trex.  Hopefully they will help.

I probably drank more before I was 40 than most people drink in their entire lives.  I haven't had a drink since contracting this disease.  It's just not that important to me that I would risk the pain.  In the end it's your choice.  

PFDAN,

Gator
IP Logged
ccbiggsoo7
New Board Veteran

« Reply #17 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 9:19pm »

I agree with Lee and I have read several times if you are going to be able to drink beer then you need to try lithium. I couldn't touch any for about 3 years and then started the lithium and now I can drink about any time I wish. I thought my social life was over. For some reason Lithium was the only thing I could touch beer on. It's not a 100% guarantee every time but about 85% so take the trex with you. I also found out for some reason before the Lithium I could drink bloody mary's about 75% of the time and would not get hit. But 1 beer and I was out for the count.
IP Logged

chris
Turts
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Ever danced with the devil by the pale moonlight

Email

« Reply #18 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 10:15pm »

Don,

I have had cycles where I could drink to my hearts content and it would not trigger, and there has been other cycles where the sound of an ice cold beer being opened was enough to make me grap for the o2.  

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I have however used a few bourbons with a beer chaser to bring on a HA when ive had enough of those shadows haunting me all day.  

Someones I would rather get up and dance rather than just sit in the corner tapping my foot to the music.  

Turts.

p.s. I have read that lighter coloured drinks such as vodka, gin are less likely to trigger and are lower in calories if you are someone would likes to drink but not put on the weight that goes with it. (dont know if true, but...)

IP Logged

'I'm very brave generally,' he went on in a low voice: 'only today I happen to have a headache.' (Lewis Carroll)
Reese
New Board Junior

Who's the beeoch now?

Email

« Reply #19 on: Jan 29th, 2005, 8:35am »

turt wrote: "I have however used a few bourbons with a beer chaser to bring on a HA when ive had enough of those shadows haunting me all day."   That may sound crazy to some but Ive done the same thing many times.After I get my 30 minutes of torturing pain the shadows are gone, at least for the day. Im alcoholic,love my beer,brought hundreds of painful headaches on because I chose to drink my beer rather than abstain and be "almost" painfree.Ive been out of cycle for about 2 months now,the only time I trigger a CH is when I stop drinking(unusual,huh).Its always on my 3rd sober day.I signed up for a treatment program and will start this tuesday.Its only a matter of time before Im back in cycle,so Im hoping to be sober and lessen frequency/intensity of my headaches.Water for me today.
IP Logged

"Mommy,that man is scaring me":quoted by young eye-witness of a Kip 10
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

« Reply #20 on: Jan 29th, 2005, 12:33pm »

Maybe, if you decide to drink, you should take a shot of Imitrex to get it in your system?  
Anyone try to use a shot cause they knew that they were gonna get one?  A preemptive sort of thing?
I would love a beer or a cocktail, but I hate shots.  The only time I take a shot is when I wish I had my gun closeby, then I reach for the syrenge instead.
Thanks and PF wishes
BMonee
IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

BigRick
New Board Newbie
USA 

Please remove the axe

« Reply #21 on: Jan 29th, 2005, 8:06pm »

When Im in a cycle I cant even finish one beer before the beast arrives.If you're looking for something to take so you can drink all I can say is good luck and let me know if you find something,JK.
In my 15 years of CH's the only thing that let me drink a little was high doses of Prednisone.I prefer to just stay away from alcohol during a cycle.I figure I get enough CH's on my own why start another one just so I can have a beer.

Good luck and hang in there. Grin
IP Logged
K-9
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #22 on: Jan 31st, 2005, 3:30am »

If you are indeed Chronic, and you figure out that Alcohol does not trigger for you, be careful, Some chronics, like myself, have Cycles within my chronicness, and if I am in one of those, I can't drink, other times it's no problem, like at Dav con!!!  Grin
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss