Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 7:10pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Husband has CH  and Questions »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Husband has CH  and Questions
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Husband has CH  and Questions  (Read 468 times)
mawmaw
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Husband has CH  and Questions
« on: Jan 26th, 2005, 9:18pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I don't post much on this board but I do read alot. I have tried to get my hubby to post but he is computer phobic. Has anyone here been to the Headache and Wellness Center in Greensboro NC? We have been once and saw Dr. Adelman. My hubby has another appointment tomorrow and all the things they gave him: Reg. Verapamil instead of the SR he was taking, Frova, and axsian to put up his nose. Nothing has helped. He has a list of meds that he has already been tried on. He has had these headaches since March of 2004 with not much painfree time, never more than a week. He has tried the alternative treatment ,but has had other issues with that. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks  Cindy
IP Logged
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

Re: Husband has CH  and Questions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27th, 2005, 6:57am »

Go to the left and read everything on meds and what's worked for others. Go back to the neuro armed and MAKE him talk to you.  

What about O2 - that works for so many.  

The hard part about ch is finding what works "for you". We all react differently to different meds.  

DHE IV works to break a cycle (sometimes) for most. But it's a last resort in my book (been thru it more times than I want to think about), but it does work.  

Until he finds something that is working, he probably needs to visit the neuro regularly.  

Sorry not to have an answer, but most of us have tried, failed, tried again and if we're lucky we find something that works for a while. It's still a crap shoot.

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Renee
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

May we all find some pf time!  Is it summer yet?

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 27th, 2005, 8:02am »

DHE via IV typically will stop the ch when nothing else has worked.  

DHE over several days, inpatient, gave me 2 months of totally pf time.

O2 started working for me again after the DHE inpatient stay.

Arm yourself with info and go to the doc demanding a change.  Do this until you find the cocktail that helps him.

Is he taking coQ10, magnesium and b vitamins?  

good luck,
Renee
IP Logged

23 years of battling the beast, 9 years chronic......uneducated docs/nurses make me irate.
The fungus among us is for real!

WifeofCHSuffer
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Jan 27th, 2005, 10:25am »

Renee,

What is coQ10?  What does coQ10, magnesium and b vitamins due for CH/migraine suffer?

Cathy
IP Logged

Wife of CH sufferer. Supporter and mother of two children.
miapet
New Board Hall of Famer

what doesn't kill me makes me stronger

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 27th, 2005, 11:22am »

add calcium to that mix *g* . . .something about the cal-mag aids with sleep (I think)  . . .not sure what else . . .Pinkfloyd and Giovanni can answer those questions though *smiles*
*positive light and energy*
miapet
edit: coQ10 is a supplement . . .like vitamins/minerals
*pl&e*
mia
« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2005, 11:23am by miapet » IP Logged

Clusterbusters Rock
www.clusterbusters.com
mawmaw
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Jan 27th, 2005, 11:44pm »

Thank you all for your input. We went NC today and we will not being going back. My husband  has had his fill of arrogant  holier than thou doc's. I blew up and gave  the doc a mouth full, then we left. We will be looking into the supplements. thank you again.

Cindy
IP Logged
TomM
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 28th, 2005, 12:39pm »

What about a Prednisone Taper? Ask your doc about that.

Be sure to try the O2.

Good Luck.

TomM
IP Logged

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing."
--Thoreau--
BigRick
New Board Newbie
USA 

Please remove the axe

« Reply #7 on: Jan 28th, 2005, 3:01pm »

The Prednisone has always worked with me.Of course the side effects(weight gain,bloating)arent that great.Ive only used it when Ive been desperate and overwhelmed by a long string of headaches(months).
If he is at the end of his string and cant take anymore he really does need to get some temporary relief.I would talk to my Dr. about the prednisone,but he needs to take something prevenative also for when he comes off the Prednisone cycle.Lithium,Keppra and Depakote take a little time to get into your blood but they have helped make my CHs more tolerable.A level 6 is better than a level 10.
Good luck.
IP Logged
mawmaw
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Jan 28th, 2005, 9:20pm »

Thank you dear people for your advice. My husband has had these headaches since March 2004. He has taken:
prednizone
depakote  
topamax
lithium  
verapamil
firocet
imitrex injections
indocin
naproxsyn
relaplax
maxalt
amerge
frova
migranal(DHE nasal spray)
DHE IV  
stadol injections and nasal spray
demerol injections
Uses O2 with nonrebreather mask
I know that I am leaving some out because I am at work and not at home with the diary we keep. I really do appreciate all the kind help you offer. And if anyone else knows of any other options we would appreciate the advise. He has tried the shroom treatment but that hasn't gone well because of some other medical problems that he has.

Cindy
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 29th, 2005, 12:45pm »

Sorry about your experience with Adelman. You might call Bowman Gray in Winston to see what they have--such a big operation must surely have some resources and/or call Duke.

For ideas, explore:  
  WWW.MELDRUM.DEMON.CO.UK/migraine. At bottom of home page, look for FAQ on clusters: four sections of extensive material; strong on treatment options.

The first book is best but the second is good if you can't handle the medical terminology of the first:

MANAGEMENT OF HEADACHE AND HEADACHE MEDICATIONS, 2nd ed. Lawrence D. Robbins, M.D.; pub. by Springer. $49 at Amazon.Com. This volume is better organized and easier to read for nonprofessionals compared to Saper's book. It covers all types of headache and is primarily focused on medications. While the two chapters on CH total 42-pages, the actual relevant material is longer because of multiple references to material in chapters on migraine, reflecting the overlap in drugs used to treat. I'd suggest reading the chapters on migraine for three reasons: he makes references to CH & medications which are not in the index; there are "clinical pearls" about how to approach the treatment of headache; and, you gain better perspective on the nature of headache, in general, and the complexities of treatment (which need to be considered when we create expectations about what is possible). Finally, women will appreciate & benefit from his running information on hormones/menstrual cycles as they affect headache. Chapter on headache following head trauma, also. Obviously, I'm impressed with Robbins' work (even if the book needs the touch of a good editor!) (Somewhat longer review/content statement at 3/22/00, "Good book...."Wink

HEADACHE HELP, Revised edition, 2000; Lawrence Robbins, M.D., Houghton Mifflin, $15. Written for a nonprofessional audience, it contains almost all the material in the preceding volume but it's much easier reading. Highly recommended.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
mawmaw
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #10 on: Jan 29th, 2005, 1:00pm »

Thank you for the information and the reccomendations on the books. Will start looking at bookstore today. We live in Virginia and are planning to go back to the University Of Virginia Medical Center and see the doc that was treating my husband there. He has called and  would like to continue helping my husband.  We both know that there is no quick fix and that there is always someone here to lend a helping hand and a kind word.
Cindy
IP Logged
K-9
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #11 on: Jan 31st, 2005, 3:39am »

Good luck with your search.  Doctors can be frusterating at times.  Wishing your husband Pain free times.  Oh and by the way, you're doing a great job as a supporter, don't forget to give yourself a pat for that.  You guys get forgotten sometimes  Wink
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss