Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 5:39am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « I'm Back, and cured! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   I'm Back, and cured!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: I'm Back, and cured!  (Read 467 times)
WherzRoony

Email

I'm Back, and cured!
« on: Jan 25th, 2005, 11:24am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Maybe Cured is the wrong word to use but they went away about two years ago and haven't been back.   Grin

I haven't been here in quite a while but I figured I'd check back in and say hay.

I had to deal with them from the age of 19 until I was 31.  In the last couple of years, the frequency of attacks was much less and the headaches occured more as flukes rather than full blown bouts of CH's.

WHAT I LEARNED IN THE PROCESS!

OXYGEN was the key for me.  I bought an Oxy/Acetylene torch kit from lowes or one of those places.  I rigged up a valve and hose to the oxygen regulator.  When I would feel a headache coming on I would immediatly take several deep breaths of O2 and hold them.  If I got to the O2 soon enough, it would stop the CH in it's tracks.  If it was too late and the headache had fully kicked in, The occasional O2 hit durring the headache would make the pain bareable if not get rid of it.

I also found that with the Oxygen treatments, If I could keep myself from suffering a really bad headache with the O2, The bouts of cluster headaches would be much shorter, 3 to 4 weeks rather than 3 to 4 months.

After 2 or 3 years of hitting them with O2, they just went away (((((THANK GOD)))))

Best of luck to all of you, I know what your dealing with (But try the Oxygen)  I talked a female friend of mine who gets really bad migranes into trying O2 and it worked for her too.

Good luck all  Wink
IP Logged
floridian

Email

Re: I'm Back, and cured!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25th, 2005, 11:36am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Glad to hear you've been pain free.  Cured is a pretty strong word - many people go a few years without CH, only to have it reappear again later.  But 2 years PF is worth celebrating!! And oxygen is a good weapon against the beast.
IP Logged
Biker
New Board Old Timer
USA 

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: Jan 25th, 2005, 3:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Yes.    Oxygen is great.     I also thought I was cured.  My hopes are that you live a pain free life.   Keep that bottle handy.    
    Hopes beyond hope that your truly cured.   I will always have oxygen close at hand.    
    Good luck.    Go out and socialize.   Enjoy life.   You should live pain free.
IP Logged

Ride it like ya stole it.
dagger
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Jan 25th, 2005, 4:51pm »

Glad you are pf!  A word of caution, however:  My experience (30-something years worth) has been that I have increased periods of remission the older I get.  Until I started the recent bout in October, I had been without the "beast" since May of '99.  I sure hope you are done, tho.  Good luck  dagger
IP Logged
alleyoop
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wake me up when it's all over.

alleyoop_49  

« Reply #4 on: Jan 26th, 2005, 3:08pm »

Glad to hear you're PF! I've got two brothers diagnosed episodic. One has been PF for over nine years now. Although he won't go so far as to say he's cured, Bill says he enjoys each and every day now.

....................alley
IP Logged

I know that the Good Lord won't put any more on you than you can stand, but sometimes I wish He weren't quite so PROUD of ME!
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #5 on: Jan 26th, 2005, 4:24pm »

I'm so glad that you're PF.  Smiley
I do hope that things stay that way, too. As a chronic, I keep on hoping that there will be a day when I can say the same!

All the best & PFdays,
Sandie
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

EvertBoer
New Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 26th, 2005, 5:01pm »

Aaaah, optimism. I have thought I was cured at least 3 times now. First, when I hit my 40's and started having 2 year remission periods. Then when I hit 50 and had a 5 year remission period. I'm 55 now, and figure maybe I'll only have 4 or 5 more episodes (if I live to be 75 or so). Mine started at 19 also. But maybe yours really won't come back. I hope so, but if you are like me, even if it doesn't go away, the longer PF periods are almost like a cure.
IP Logged
bejeeber
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Jan 27th, 2005, 3:33am »

Same sorta thing here where I've had 'em for 24 years or so. They were regular every year for a while, then 1 1/2 years between episodes, 2 years, etc., until I went 5(!) years between the last bouts. Just here checking on the latest treatments so I can be prepared for the next bout which if I'm incredibly lucky won't appear for another 2 years  (been 3 years free now).

Yes I am unbelievably lucky  even if I do have residual symptoms from a Prednisone O.D. 16 years ago (watch out for that stuff - I remember knowing that I was taking it too dangerously long but not even caring about possible permanent severe side effects due to the desperation - well you know what I mean).  

I suppose I paid some dues going without treatment in those pre imitrex years, but my heart REALLY goes out to the chronics. It's just unspeakably messed up that anyone would have to go through that.

IP Logged

Cluster Headaches: better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!.....er...well OK, they actually DO feel quite similar.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss