Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 3:30am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Definition of shadows wanted »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Definition of shadows wanted
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Definition of shadows wanted  (Read 534 times)
The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

Definition of shadows wanted
« on: Jan 28th, 2005, 12:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This subject was on the canadian board some days ago.and my reply on that

Yess what is the definition of shadows  

depends on your pain threshold.  

Some cant stand pain at all and will claim a kip 1 a major hit and then we have those on the other side of that  

My PERSONAL opinion of that subject is that anything under a kip 5 can be called a shadow.BUT then again thats just me  

Anyone have something to say on the subject?

The very best from Svenn  

IP Logged

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: Definition of shadows wanted
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28th, 2005, 12:35pm »

For me...shadows last longer and are "duller". A k5 shadow comes on a little slower and doesn't stop me in my tracks. A k5 hit comes on fast and will cause me to really pay attention with it's "sharp", stabbing, pain.
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
BlueMeanie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Jan 28th, 2005, 3:03pm »

I agree with the actual KIP scale. K1-K3 is just that. (A shadow). You can feel the pain beginning to flair up, the eye starts to get red, teeth begin to feel swollen, but you can handle it without pacing. At that point it's just annoying, but yet scary because you know the attack is on the way.  

Once you get to (KIP4) it is no longer a shadow but heading towards a major attack. I don't see how a KIP5 can be either a shadow, or a hit. Maybe because i'm episodic. To me, if you're pacing it's a hit if your not it's a shadow. Dunno
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #3 on: Jan 28th, 2005, 3:32pm »

Blue...I can get a k-5 shadow that lasts 1-3 hours and  it never gets any higher... I can pace and quasi function. The hits can stay at 5 or go higher in minutes. I usually hit the O2 at a sharp 4...sometimes it works, sometimes not. I guess I could describe the difference by saying a hit is like being stabbed in your nose and out your eye...a shadow is like having a baseball slowly pounded in behind your eye. And it just sits there.
IP Logged

BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 28th, 2005, 9:22pm »

Blue meanie, I agree, if I am not pacing and cursing, I don't consider it to be an attack.  Yesterday I had shadows and ghosts all day.  I still worked and was fine the whole day.  
PF wishes
BMonee
IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

marcelonyc
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 28th, 2005, 11:34pm »

For me, when any sign appears my body reacts first, sometimes before i am willing to acknowledge consciencely so that I will catch myself holding my head, blocking the light, or a mini dance in cross legged sit position (?). It seems since I have started the lithium I don't go beyond a 5. When I say my body reacts is that I become very tense and eventhough it's obvious one is on it's way, i go through denial and therefore unwilling to admit the possibility to myself. Foolish I know, but it's part of my dance.

This cycle has been nipped so that all I get are 3 with occasional 4or5. I would compare it to having shadows in between a heavy session. One year, i think I had 9 h/a or so @ 10+kip. There was no real relief, only momentsof shadows which were still hell. But becuse i have not experienced the intensity of a 10 in a few months, the level 3-5 remind me of shadows and they (cross fingers) have not been steamrolling beyond. I'm lucky.

Does this make any senses to ya??

marcelo
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 29th, 2005, 9:19am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Those long black things on the sidewalk that follow you around all day.

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/newvisitors.html#acronyms
« Last Edit: Jan 29th, 2005, 9:21am by don » IP Logged
toolong
New Board Veteran
USA 

Looking for an answer

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 29th, 2005, 10:40am »

I think shadows are in the eye of the beholder.Seriously I live with shadows 24/7. When they start cranking up to say a kip 4 or above my left eye will start tearing and nose will become stuffy.Thats the tip off that I'm on my way to a kick ass CH.I'll run to my 02 and take my usual hit. Before I was chronic my shadows were in the kip 2-3 range but now it seems to be a tad more severe.I guess as you research,you'll find everybody is different.Good luck thumbsupDavid
IP Logged

Hey,watch this!I saw it on a cartoon and I think it might work!
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

« Reply #8 on: Jan 29th, 2005, 6:41pm »

For me a shadow is pain in my ch "area" that is very dull and distracting, but hangs around all day.  Like migraine type duration.
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Taz taught me the cluster dance

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 29th, 2005, 7:47pm »

For me a shadow is more to do with what *isn't* happening than what is.  An attack is an acute flare that encompasses all the autonomic symptoms, and a shadow, and the pain level for a shadow can vary, but I almost never get nasal congestion with a shadow (or the ensuing runny nose) I will get the flush and sometimes the tearing, but mostly it will be the lack of autonomic features that defines a shadow to an attack for me.

Cat
IP Logged

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart

If yer gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 30th, 2005, 7:31am »

Svenn, I agree with the 3-4Kip as a shadow. I live with those most of the time. I consider that pain free time. When it cranks up to a 5-6, I know an attack is coming. At about an 8 I take something.  

Lately I've been getting hit with "icepicks" just to keep things interesting.  

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Magick

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 30th, 2005, 10:40am »

For me a shadow is like a long (1-1 1/2 hr dull kip3-5) I get these every night starting about the same time. The "Hits" come in the very early morning right after I go to sleep and wake me up. Somtimes I'll get hit throught the day/night as well. No real pattern to anything but the shadows.

Trying to abort a shadow with o2 is pointless because it will come back as soon as I stop. With a "hit" o2 aborts and it stays away. Using trex with a shadow causes a nasty rebound.  

Took me a while to tell the diffrence at first but now I know when to not jump the gun with o2 or trex for a shadow.
IP Logged
PrettyH8Machine

Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 30th, 2005, 7:58pm »

on Jan 30th, 2005, 7:31am, BarbaraD wrote:
Svenn, I agree with the 3-4Kip as a shadow. I live with those most of the time. I consider that pain free time. When it cranks up to a 5-6, I know an attack is coming. At about an 8 I take something.  

Lately I've been getting hit with "icepicks" just to keep things interesting.  

Hugs BD

Barbara - check out CPH. I get that anywhere for 10 times a day to 10 times an hour. Lasts about 4-6 seconds and is gone. Kind of like a mini cluster zap.
I also have something funky where when I bend over, as soon as my head reaches a certain altitude, it feels like someone is smacking me in the back of the head.
For me, I shadow non-stop 1-2, but it gets up to the kip 3 or 4 at times.  

CD

My definition of a shadow is a dull ache in the temple and the eye, with the sensation something is pulling the eye from behind and the temple is twisting a bit.
« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2005, 8:00pm by Carl_D » IP Logged
TonyG1

Email

« Reply #13 on: Feb 2nd, 2005, 8:14pm »

Had shadows all day yesterday with icepicks from time to time ... for me they are there in the background but I'm still functional ....  I was afraid it would lead to a full blown attack last evening  bombwhile I was asleep but the verapamil (verelin PM) did its job  sleep... PF night and actually got some sleep ....  

Best regards to all !!
IP Logged
clarence
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wake up

nailinmyeye
WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Feb 2nd, 2005, 10:31pm »

I agree with nani and guesst.  Shadows, in my world, are different than an attack, not just a less intense attack.  My shadows last hours and hours.  My attacks are shorter, hit faster and, hurt more intensely.

Shadows are the crap in my head.  They are driving my crazy.  Insane...AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!  They follow me, never letting me get away, speaking to me...

They say: pain...pain...hurt...

Casey
IP Logged

NY Yankees Suck!!!

"Bart, don't make fun of Grad students. They just made a terrible life decision," Marge Simpson

Where I live: http://rainfallsoneveryone.com
Night_Zombie
New Board Junior
Ireland 

If u obey all the rules, u miss all the fun......

Email

« Reply #15 on: Feb 3rd, 2005, 11:50am »

At the moment for me shadows just wont go away, a dull pain that is with me all of the time at about 2/3,when my ear starts to get sore and my eye starts to pound I know its starting to get up to the next stage. If I have had a  bad night  3/4 hits at about 9/10, I get no rest from the pain at all, the shadows seem to go up the pain scale to about 5/6 for the rest of the night/day. All I can say it really sucks Cry
IP Logged

love and hugs xxx
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #16 on: Feb 3rd, 2005, 3:40pm »

If you have shadows, it means six more weeks of winter.
IP Logged

Her: "Have you ever hit a deer?"
Me: "What, like, in the FACE?"
Her: ..... "WHAT is the MATTER with you!?"
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #17 on: Feb 3rd, 2005, 3:42pm »

on Feb 3rd, 2005, 3:40pm, Frank_W wrote:
If you have shadows, it means six more weeks of winter.

laugh  I have 'em everyday, dammit...The winter of my life, isn't it.  Undecided
IP Logged

kissmyglass
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Don't Mix Triptans

Email

« Reply #18 on: Feb 3rd, 2005, 11:19pm »

on Jan 30th, 2005, 7:58pm, PrettyH8Machine wrote:

I also have something funky where when I bend over,  

CD

More info  than we need dude..... Grin
IP Logged

"It does so fucking look like her" - Picasso
[img][/img]
SLanegan
New Board Newbie
USA 

I am an American Soldier!!!  Proud of what I do!!!

mastersergeantsean  
Email

« Reply #19 on: Feb 9th, 2005, 12:20pm »

A shadow is always with me.....a dull throb on  the left side of my head, slightly pushing my temple outward with a buzz behind my left eye.  I know when the shadow is going to turn into an attack.  Its like a light switch is turned on inside my head.........then within minutes the shadows turn into the pain direct from hell!!!!!!

Shadows always remind me that the devil hasn't gone away but is taking his fricken nap, waiting until I take mine!!!!  

Sean
IP Logged
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #20 on: Feb 9th, 2005, 12:24pm »

on Jan 29th, 2005, 6:41pm, guesst wrote:
For me a shadow is pain in my ch "area" that is very dull and distracting, but hangs around all day.  Like migraine type duration.

Ditto. Also, in the eight years that I have suffered with CH, I never experienced shadows until I used injectable Imitrex, during my last cycle.
IP Logged

Her: "Have you ever hit a deer?"
Me: "What, like, in the FACE?"
Her: ..... "WHAT is the MATTER with you!?"
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #21 on: Feb 9th, 2005, 1:56pm »

shadows are when the beastard is lurking in the bushes... I know it's there, but it doesn't hurt so much to be incapacitating...  Sometimes cycles start out slow with mild twinges... (like today) and I call them shadows.    Sometimes after brutal attacks, I feel pain all day and I call them shadows too.
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
Tiannia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life does not apologies......

Tiannia_L  
Email

« Reply #22 on: Feb 9th, 2005, 3:58pm »

on Jan 29th, 2005, 6:41pm, guesst wrote:

I have to agree with this definition and Nani.  A shadow for me can be an all day thing.  I can feel the pressure, the dull annoying ache between my ear and eye.  I can start to get red. People at my old job used to ask when they would see my left ear (yes my CH side) go bright read.  My left eye will start to feel strained.  (to explain I wear glasses and it will feel like I was on the computer all day without them).  

The part that I think is the hardest is that the longer it lasts to worse I know the hit will be. This is where I agree with Nani. That there are different levels of shadows.   Like it slowly builds up to hit me harder.  And when I am in the high end of my chronic cycle, the shadows will stay between the hits.  Then I know that I am in for a rough night.  When after I get done with a k8 and the shadows are still there, it is like "Fuck didn't you just put me through enough?"  

The kip scale helps other people to understand what I am talking about.   Luckily I am in a back office and dont get bugged much at my new office. But I already have warned them that I have CH and given my boss the letter to co-workers so that he is not blindsided if I get a full attack at work.  

Luckly, my HA's have not gone back up to the level that I was at before. I am getting hit daily, but it is only 1 to 2 a day. This is week 4 of that. So I hope that is a good sign.  I am not looking forward to ramping up again.  

-Tia
IP Logged

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change. - Carl Rogers
Tiannia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life does not apologies......

Tiannia_L  
Email

« Reply #23 on: Feb 9th, 2005, 3:59pm »

on Feb 9th, 2005, 1:56pm, vig wrote:
   Sometimes after brutal attacks, I feel pain all day and I call them shadows too.

yep Paul - I think you said it better them me.
IP Logged

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change. - Carl Rogers
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss