Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 3:30am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Imitrex leave you exhausted? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Imitrex leave you exhausted?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Imitrex leave you exhausted?  (Read 736 times)
Mattman

Email

Imitrex leave you exhausted?
« on: Feb 11th, 2005, 12:42am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hey guys, going through a cluster period now.  On Verapamil ER 180MG, still getting them right and left dont' know if it does much good.  Also have O2 and Imitrex injections, but I hate doing injections I'm always exhausted afterwards.  It knocks out the headache but I feel alot of heat and then if I'm laying down I could sleep for hours... yesterday I slept for about 5 after taking it.  

Is this just me?  I also am wondering how different the side effects are from pill to injectible form.

Thanks guys
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: Imitrex leave you exhausted?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11th, 2005, 12:56am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Matt...I can't take triptans anymore, but when I used the Imitrex injections, I became flushed and shaky and tired. I don't know how much the pill and shots are different as far as side effects go, but the pill takes much longer to work and probably won't do much quickly enough. The verapamil dose you're on is pretty low. Most of us take at least 360 mgs a day and many take lithium along with it. Look on the medications board for ideas. There are also other triptans available like Zomig and Maxalt. Have you tried using oxygen? Look at the oxygen info button on the left. Pain free wishes, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Feb 11th, 2005, 1:00am »

I really can't answer your question except with another question.
Is it the Imitrex that is leaving you feeling exhausted?  
Or is it the battle with the pain?  
For most of us there is other things going on during an attack besides the pain. Body temperature may rise or fall and cause the brain to call for more heat or cooling off. Most of us are up and moving, pacing and rocking. Blood pressure may change and the body needs to fight to correct it. Pulse and heart rate will change (not counting the effects of the imitrex). Many of us have our attacks after falling asleep. Waking up groggy and in pain takes it's toll.
Like I said above (before I got long winded), is it the imitrex, physical reaction to the pain, combination of both?  
I don't know.  
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
don

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 11th, 2005, 7:29am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
On Verapamil ER 180MG,

Talk to your Doc about upping the dose. Thats pretty low.
IP Logged
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 11th, 2005, 8:18am »

My own experience with Imitrex was this:

Last cycle, I was on Verapamil, and had six 6mg shots of injectable Imitrex.

I was getting a bad headache one night, so I decided to try the shot. Oh god... It felt like my head was going to come off!! Sure enough though, it stopped the headache. However, the next morning, I had the first shadow I've ever had, in the eight years that I've had this condition, and it lasted nearly all day. I tried Imitrex two more times, and each time, it was just awful. I decided that the cure was worse than the condition, and I decided that no matter how bad it gets, I'd rather deal with the cluster than the Imitrex.
IP Logged

Her: "Have you ever hit a deer?"
Me: "What, like, in the FACE?"
Her: ..... "WHAT is the MATTER with you!?"
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 11th, 2005, 8:33am »

Honestly... if I am having the nasty after effects of the trex than I probably injected too much....

Since splitting the dose I tend not to get the nasty exhausted, icky,  gross feeling after unless I gave myself too much  or I really got slammed hard... like Bob said could just be the after effects of battling overall.

Never an easy decision but life is full of difficult choices...

Good luck!
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
cherylc
New Board Newbie
Canada 

4 baby girls

« Reply #6 on: Feb 11th, 2005, 8:45am »

The immitrex inj. work so quickly, but I always had the same problem...if I lay down I could sleep for hours.  Then I started having the shakes, sweats and my heart was racing after each dose.  I think that it is too strong...never tried to inject a smaller dose.  I am now taking the 02 exactly as described with the non-rebreather mask.  Headaches are gone within 10-15 mins, I can get up and function as soon as they are gone and it is a lot cheaper!!!

Good luck to you
Cheryl
IP Logged
Jimmy_B.
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

USS Missouri BB-63 Veteran

Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 11th, 2005, 8:56am »

on Feb 11th, 2005, 8:18am, Frank_W wrote:
I tried Imitrex two more times, and each time, it was just awful. I decided that the cure was worse than the condition, and I decided that no matter how bad it gets, I'd rather deal with the cluster than the Imitrex.

I second that...I've tried the shots & even though it took away the Cluster immediately...I felt like crap...tried the 100mg pills once when I was out of the injectable & didn't tae away the Cluster and I felt like crap for the entire next day....also seems like the cycles are shortened and the "shadows" are non-existent without the trex.

Jimmy
IP Logged

"I'd much rather be HAPPY then RIGHT any day" Slartibartfast

Get informed! Don't vote a party ticket. Go to www.vote-smart.org and find out where your political candidates stand.

Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 11th, 2005, 8:16pm »

Yep - exhausted is my feeling also.  Luckily, when I'm in cycle, the beast always visits between 9 - 10 pm.  That usually means a good night's sleep for me, once I've hit the Trex.  This last cycle, I had several during the day also.  Found the more I used it, the more I got used to those effects and was able to get up and around in a few minutes.  

I'd try splitting the doses.  Maybe 3mg would make you feel less exhausted.

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Damon
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 16th, 2005, 9:47pm »

I had the worn out feeling with the nasal sprays. I would curl up and not know if I passed out from the battle or if I just fell asleep. Have not had the same problem with the shots yet.
  Damon
IP Logged
RDJ
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #10 on: Feb 16th, 2005, 9:55pm »

I agree the Imetrex leaves me tired also!  I use the nasal, and I noticed that I could have one in the middle of the night, and sleep through till about 10am, and usually I am up around 7 in my normal sleep pattern.  Now a not so nice question from everyone, but when I get into a pattern, I notice that when I clean my ears, there is alot more wet on the q tip than normal, also it just stinks,  please do not laugh me off the board for this comment, just something I noticed, also sorry if I offended anyone with this little ordeal
IP Logged
pattik
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

northcolor4  

« Reply #11 on: Feb 16th, 2005, 10:44pm »

I think that Bob G. is correct about tiredness coming from the battle with the h/a.  That much pain is very physically draining to me, no matter how I try to do the relax and accept thing.  So by the time the shot or o2  mercifully takes effect, I'm wiped out for a while, as well as thankful for the relief.

Patti
IP Logged

The voyage of discovery is not about seeking new landscapes, it's about having new eyes--Marcel Proust
BlueMeanie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #12 on: Feb 16th, 2005, 11:47pm »

Agree with with Double E. If I do a full shot I get a really wierd feeling and a little tired. Battling the Beast always makes me tired anyway. Try a 1/2 shot. It's a BIG difference and the CH still goes away just as fast.
IP Logged
Tiannia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life does not apologies......

Tiannia_L  
Email

« Reply #13 on: Feb 17th, 2005, 2:55pm »

Split your dose with the injections and see if that helps.  Full shot make me worse I end up with shadows that have no end.  But smaller 1/2 or 1/3 dose and I am ok.  
See the tip to the left
IP Logged

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change. - Carl Rogers
genek
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #14 on: Feb 18th, 2005, 8:35pm »

I'm on the 100mg pill and don't get the heat afterwards.  Usually takes 5-10 minutes to work though.  I think exhaustion after an episode is par for the course whether you're on or off meds... but 5 hours of straight nightime would be wonderful!   Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss