Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 5:09am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « NO SLEEP AGAIN »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   NO SLEEP AGAIN
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: NO SLEEP AGAIN  (Read 333 times)
JohnO
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

NO SLEEP AGAIN
« on: Feb 20th, 2005, 11:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Embarassed

So another just woke me up. 5 weeks into this.
I hate sleeping, one wakes me up in the middle of the night, and one waits for me first thing in the morning.
Any new tricks on getting through the night?  
IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

Re: NO SLEEP AGAIN
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21st, 2005, 1:56am »

Kevin,
hug
I've run out of tricks... occasionally I fall asleep after watching my fave movies... you know, the kinds which are light entertainment. On Saturday I browsed all US cities from A-Z... I got to Nevada before I started to get sleepy.

Wishing you peaceful nights with lots of sleep,
Sandie
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

cat14

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 21st, 2005, 6:22am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Have you tried the melatoin yet? It lasted a few months before it stopped. I would need 9-12mg a night?
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 21st, 2005, 7:01am »

Both of these are Rx meds but your doc can give you samples of the first one:

Zyprexa, 5mg, before bedtime. (It's also effective in aborting attacks for some folks.)

Ergomar SL, 2mg. One under the tongue and allowed to slowly dissolve; about one-hour before bed. An old time med which often stops attacks during sleep.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 21st, 2005, 7:07am »

Since you do have the "typical" wake you up in the middle of the night horrors then.... Melatonin might be a savior.  
Many of us (myself included) have found that taking 6-9mg (some take more) about a 1/2 hour to 45minutes prior to bed have Knocked out the night visits and can finally get sleep.  

With the exception of 5-6 times.....I have slept through the night since August.....Still get hit during the day but my overall quality of life is better because I am not as exhausted all the time.  

Some people report that it seems to make them worse....The fact is that we are all different and respond differently to everything therefore it may or may not...  

The one thing I will tell you as far as my experience was that I had to stick with it...The first night I took melatonin, I was awoken with a doozy only I was too groggy to find my O2 .....It got a lot better for me....I then slept through the night but would get slammed about 1/2 hour after waking up....kinda like knocking the beast off schedule.....then again I was peaking and this cycle has been all over the place with no real pattern.  
I stayed with melatonin and have had decent sleep overall.  

It may help and it is natural with not too many sideeffects....also ask your doctor b/c if there are any side effects or contraindications...I think they have to do with mild depression.....  

Like I said we are all different.  

Best wishes, good luck & stay as positive as you can!!!!  

Eric
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
TonyG1

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 21st, 2005, 8:34pm »

on Feb 21st, 2005, 7:07am, E-Double wrote:

Some people report that it seems to make them worse....The fact is that we are all different and respond differently to everything therefore it may or may not... Eric

Agree we are all different -- I'm one of those where the Melatonin seems to make it worse for me ...
IP Logged
jasckorohod

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 21st, 2005, 11:25pm »

My doctor gives me sleeping medication.  You might want to ask your doc about a prescription for Ambien-it is a non-diazapam based medication and has a very short half life (stays in your body about 12 hours), so you won't feel the effects during the day and it doesn't build up in your system.  Good luck.
IP Logged
sailpappy
New Board Old Timer
USA 

sail_pappy   sailpappy1
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 22nd, 2005, 7:44pm »

GrinAmbien is a short term sleep adjunct that helps you fall asleep, but in our cases it stops working when you wake with the first cluster, I have been using Restoril(Desyrel) with some success. it is a benzodiazapine, like xanax,valuim, klonapin, etal, but it doesn't seem to have the same side affects, I went 8 days with no sleep, tried Ambien and if I took it at 12 am I would be up for the night by 2am.  
     Desyrel lets you go into rem 3 and stay there for a few hours before slipping into rem 4, where the clusters slip in and awake you, or at least me.
     With the extra sleep I am begining to feel somewhat normal again.  Here is the link to this medication( Oh also its a safe medication, as My Neuro told me they give it to 70-90 year old patients with great success!

http://www.healthsquare.com/newrx/des1128.htm
      Pappy
IP Logged
jasckorohod

Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 22nd, 2005, 8:53pm »

I've used Restoril and it does work better for me than Ambien.  I now take a German medicine called Zopiclon, not available in the US, which works just as well as Restoril and has no "hangover" effect.
IP Logged
Cooked Brain
New Board Old Timer
Netherlands 

a.k.a. Max Payne, YOUCH this hurts...

« Reply #9 on: Feb 24th, 2005, 11:59am »

Hiya John!

waht helps me most of the time is the Relpax, Imigran Nasal and (pure gold) oxygen.

If that doesnt help, just dance the night away  Undecided
IP Logged

"We can NOT solve our problems with the same kind of thinking that got us IN to the problem in the first place" Albert Einstein
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss