Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 8:05am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Magnets and Heat »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Magnets and Heat
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Magnets and Heat  (Read 354 times)
Ellick
New Board Junior
United_Kingdom 

ET found here.

Email

Magnets and Heat
« on: Feb 21st, 2005, 5:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Has anyone tried magnets for pain releif (no I dont sell them or work for anyone that does). This is a genuine question. I have used magnets for years on old sports injuries. Because I have only recently had my light switched on to all the information about CH I tried them the other day one below and one above my right eye for one day. Shadows remained but the afternoon episode which started a few days ago did not happen. Since then the episodes have become more random.

Also I have found that heat applied to the side of the face where the pain is ameliorates the suffering a bit. It doesnt shorten the attack but takes some of the unbearable edges out. I used to heat up towels in the oven and keep rotating them so I always had a hot one ready. As hot as I could manage. Now I use one of those gel packs.

I take other med as well now. But before I knew what CH meant this was how I survived. Also use it if I feel as though I have used too much sumatriptan nasal spray.

ET.x
IP Logged

ET
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

Re: Magnets and Heat
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21st, 2005, 5:12pm »

Hi nice to meet you!
I've never heard of magnets being used but if it works for you then go for it.. I'd certainly be willing to try it, anything non invasive that can't hurt or can't cost a fortune is worth a go in my book
Heat is a HUGE no no for me.. but cold works. Thats true for alot of people here, some find heat helps and others cold so I'm glad you have found that one works for you!
You sound like you don't like using meds too much and I can relate to that. Have you considered O2? for me it is literally a life saver. Another non invasive non drug therapy too! Can't be bad eh?
I see you are in Aylesbury.. I'm not that far north of you (In Notts) We race hovercraft at Claydon House annually so I know the area well.. you lucky thing! Its a gorgeous part of the country!
Let us know how you are getting on.. read up on the O2 info on the left and have a gander at the OUCH UK site as it has the O2 info on cylinders etc for us.
Take care
Helen
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

Ellick
New Board Junior
United_Kingdom 

ET found here.

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 22nd, 2005, 2:51am »

Thanks for your reply. I dont know if magnets are effective fo CH. They are supposed to increase blood flow around injuries by ionisiation.
Last night I put 2 low strength magnets on each side of my neck low down. No shadows at all. A main attack came on at 11.30pm. Used sumatriptan. Had a much better night, 6  hours sleep (a rarity). Recently had lots of disturbed nights due to blocked nasal breathing. This seems to have replaced the night tima attacks but takes just the same amount of time to overcome as a CH. Have uncomfortable throat in the mornings. I think that is Sumatriptan.I will keep on experimenting. Who knows? Today I am going to wear magnets all day to see what happens.
Yes I like this part of the country. I live in a village outside Aylesbury near the foot of the Chilterns. Never been to Nottingham. What is it like?
Thanks for the advice about O2. I will check into it. You are right, I am not too keen on taking pharmaceutical drugs because I dont trust anyone thats in it for the big money. My belief is these organisations can leave important information out or 'push' drugs that can be harmful and we are in a position of desperation to try anything to avoid or abort the pain. Whilst I am in the position of no choice I will constantly look for drug free alternatives.  

All the best.

Ellick. x
IP Logged

ET
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 22nd, 2005, 3:58am »

hello again!
just a thought but if you have nasal congestion (and who doesn't at this time of year?!) the sore throat is probably due to sleeping with your mouth open.
Bad idea!
A) you'll catch a sore throat
B) you'll catch flies!
Try sleeping propped up a bit more
Try that vicks inhaler stuff, it works for me! (on a cold.. nothing works when my nose is bunged up while I'm getting hit and to be honest.. right then its the least of my problems)
The Chilterns are lovely.. I have loads of friends there so I'm there alot.  Nottingham is... different. Its not so chocolate box pretty, its very flat and wide and for someone who lived in Kent and Sussex before as I did its a bit of a shock! I'm getting used to it though... the people here are amazing and thats the main thing.
Check out the O2.. I promise you'll be impressed with it. also have a look at the "alternative" methods. If you look at the medications board there are some really interesting threads on kudzu and mushrooms. I'm not 100% sure what kudzu is ( I know its a plant!) I don't know if we can get it here but I'm seriously looking at getting some through the net if I can't. I'm not sure if its www.clusterbusters.org or www.clusterbusters.com but whichever one works is well worth a look too.
Hope you find something that works for you soon!
Stay in touch
Helen
IP Logged

Filbert
New Board Veteran
United_Kingdom 

"Gravy-pure gravy and don't forget it."

« Reply #4 on: Feb 22nd, 2005, 7:37am »

Helen you can find kudzu on ukshopping .com.

Filbert.
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 22nd, 2005, 8:40am »

Filbert... you are a star! Cheers  Smiley

http://www.auravita.com/products/aura/EAFO10751.asp?RefId=700&ref=ww w.kelkoo.co.uk

Can someone check if this is the right stuff please? I'm wary about ordering the wrong thing!
Thank you lots!

edited toadd just read rocks answer on THE kudzu thread and the site he mentions is way cheaper than the UK one even counting packing and postage...
« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2005, 9:26am by LeLimey » IP Logged

vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

« Reply #6 on: Feb 22nd, 2005, 1:57pm »

Get that oxygen thing going it's pepto for the brain.Kudzu can be ordered online by the pound.I use it to thicken gravy.
IP Logged

Kill em all let God sort em out
Ellick
New Board Junior
United_Kingdom 

ET found here.

Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 22nd, 2005, 4:05pm »

I have been reading the stuff on Kudzu. Tried to get some today without success. Health Store knew about it though and had kept it the past. I beleive that it's use originates in Chinese medicine and it was used for treating Angina and Alcohol abuse.

I am in the surgery tomorrow and will check out if I can get O2.

Tried magents today but removed them because had very strong CH at about 10.30am. Strong shadows all day with another CH around 4.30. This time pain in different centre (still same side). This time felt nausea and faint. My temperature went up rapidly and my eye watered badly. Pain not so strong, felt different. My feeling is that the magnets altered something but I feel worse.
Strangely, I could lie down and sleep at the moment. Which is not usually the case for my CHs. I have just placed a magnet in the centre of my forehead and I can feel the pain localise. It's almost like a 'normal' strong headache.
I will keep on experimenting.

My wife says I have 'dog breath' in the mornings since this cylce started.

Hey Helen, was born in Kent and lived in Sussex for about 15 years. My grown up children still live there. Where did you live? You are right. It's not the place, it's how you are and how others are towards you that counts. By the way I think the nasal congestion is related to CH. I wonder if the internal inflamation shuts the passages down. I do not have any mucous until the episode is near to the end. Bucks is too posh to have any flies!

Does anyone ever get tingling sensations, across the side of the head on occassions when there is no pain. I do. I was getting them a few weeks before this cycle started.

When I got home tonight, I was really down. Pain all day 5 weeks in to a cycle and no let up. Came on to the site and I have livened up and pulled up some enthusiasm from somewhere. Good.

ET.x
IP Logged

ET
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 22nd, 2005, 4:53pm »

I lived in Wadhurst in East Sussex, then Tunbridge Wells and also Folkestone for a year. Where are your kids?  
I ordered kudzu online from an american site.. Rock Lobster mentioned on the kudzu thread.. it was cheaper including the shipping by far than buying it here.
I'm sorry you are still snotty. Try sleeping propped up though and report back tomorrow.
If you are going to the docs tomorrow take the info on CD cylinders from the OUCH UK website. That way you can try without the expense of buying a regulator. Ask for a couple of cylinders too as those don't last so long.
Let us know how you get on!!
Helen
IP Logged

Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 22nd, 2005, 10:49pm »

I have tried very expensive magnets at the recomendation of a friend who swears by them.  They did nothing for my ch.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Ellick
New Board Junior
United_Kingdom 

ET found here.

Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 23rd, 2005, 3:57am »

Hi Karla,

Maganets have certainly worked for the old sports injuries. I have found that placing them is key and this has so far for me is hit and miss. Some literature reccomends putting them on meridiam point used in acupuncture. I have not found this to very affective. I generally place them on or around the centre of pain.

I am experimenting with them currently on my CHs.
Yesterday they definitely made things worse and I had one of the more difficult days of this cycle.
At 5.30 am I woke with the beginning of CH and placed a one strong magnet below the eye on my current cycle side and one on my eyebrow. The Ch aborted within a few minutes. I slept until 7.30. the pain was returning. I found that during sleep one magnet was displaced. I removed them both and it was as if the pain had been kept at bay because an onset pattern familiar to me began and the pain level rose enough for me to go silent and start pacing. I put both magnets back in the same place. This time the pain levelled but did not diminish quickly. However it did abort within about 15 minutes and during this time I was able to talk to my family normally even though I did look weird with 2 magnet taped onto my face!
I have 2 sets of small round magnets of different strength. Neither set was expensive. I am not suggesting magnets are the panacea, like most people who suffer with CH  I am always looking for an answer, first for a safe pain treatment and next the cause and cure. I have lived with this condition for what I now believe is most of my life (I am 54). I have had the more typical symptoms of CH over the last ten years.  
Have you looked at the high level of current interest in Kudzu?
If you are in a cycle now I hope you get to pain free soon.
My best wishes to you.

Ellick.x
IP Logged

ET
Ellick
New Board Junior
United_Kingdom 

ET found here.

Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 24th, 2005, 2:45pm »

I've given up on this one for the time being. My Chs increased while I was using magnets and the intensity was higher.
Maybe increased blood flow is not what is needed.
I am going to check this out with magnet therapy people to check if I approached it right. But for now it's back to sumatriptan and verapimil. The devils I know! Sad

Ellick
IP Logged

ET
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss