Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 5:18am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « trigeminal autonomic cephalagia »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   trigeminal autonomic cephalagia
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: trigeminal autonomic cephalagia  (Read 603 times)
phil_h
New Board Old Timer
USA 

one day at a time , one headache at a time.....

phh252
Email

trigeminal autonomic cephalagia
« on: Feb 23rd, 2005, 3:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I just started with my 5th md. Dr. lay Headache Inst. of N.Y. Seems like good news and bad news. Dr. is very knowledgable and understanding . she changed my rxs and assures me she can help me survive my headaches. however she told me I,m not chronic clusters as previously dx. 4 times . she dx. me trigeminal autonomic cephalgia . I felt very positive about rxs. and the level of expertise of the Inst. ,then I got home and looked this dx. up. I'm pretty sure this is not good. Any feedback , suggestions,experience,strength or hope you guys. You guys have gotten this far. Help!    phil h
IP Logged

Angels are among us ........beasts beware !!!!!!
pubgirl

Email

Re: trigeminal autonomic cephalagia
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23rd, 2005, 3:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Phil

I'm pretty sure you are right that this is not good. The very first level of research we all do (and we aren't neurologists!) is to read that:

trigeminal autonomic cephalgia or TAC is a name for a group of headaches of which CH is one.  

Literally

trigeminal = affecting the trigeminal nerve
autonomic= other autonomic symptoms present e.g. nose or eye running etc
cephalgia = headache.

Sorry but your neuro sounds like an incompetent arse.

Why don't you tell us a bit more about yourself and what you are suffering

Wendy

Addendum:

This "diagnosis" of a TAC (hahahah, but it isn't really funny) is like telling someone that they have a URTI (upper respiratory tract infection) but failing to decide whether it is the common cold or pneumonia. i.e. the neuro has quite brilliantly decided that you have a "one-sided headache" but is hedging their bets by not defining which one it is. This wouldn't be a problem if all the treatments were the same, but they fundamentally AREN'T!
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2005, 3:38pm by pubgirl » IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 23rd, 2005, 8:47pm »

Sorry you're suffering, Phil ... But Wendy is right.  Your new neurologist just gave you a fancy new name for Cluster Headaches.

If you feel comfortable with the meds she's prescribed, fine.  Try them.  If they work, please pass it on to the rest of us.

TAC ... Clusters ... They're all the same basically.  As yet, no known cause, no known cure.  We can only hope for something that gives us relief from the unbearable agony.  Please keep in touch and let us know how things go for you.

Hugs,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 24th, 2005, 5:41pm »

Sorry Kris, that isn't right. TAC's is absolutely NOT another name for clusters. Clusters are one of the group of TAC's, so is PH, so is SUNCT, etc etc etc.

It isn't a diagnosis at all. This brilliant neuro hasn't even diagnosed Clusters, they have told Phil he has a one-sided headache where his nose might run which I suspect Phil knew already.
Give the doc a Nobel prize for medicine!

None of this helps you much Phil, apart from the certainty that this neuro isn't up to much. What have they prescribed for you?

Wendy
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2005, 5:42pm by pubgirl » IP Logged
yikes-another-one
New Board Old Timer
USA 

dancenshout2002   joyflheart2004
Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 24th, 2005, 6:44pm »

www.asra.com/meetings/2003spring/abstracts/A44.pdf  

very intersting if you do a yahho search on the T.A.C.

I found this article....stimulating the occipital nerve...
may make chronic ch less frequent.....???  
 one case out of a million,  

but who's going to get the leads
 implanted in their heads????  ugh.
IP Logged

Psalm 23 - Goodness and mercy shall follow US all the days of our lives and WE will dwell in the house of LOVE forever.
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 25th, 2005, 10:06am »

I can't make the link work, but if you are talking about the ONSI (Occipital Nerve Stimulator Implant), there are lots of threads over the last couple of years on ch.com and OUCH UK about it.
It isn't particularly dangerous as the "leads" and "powerpack" (obviously these are not technical terms Grin) are under the skin, not in the brain, but the results are still very, very patchy. Some sufferers have had some good results, some none, but there are still lots of problems needing ironing out, one of the biggies is that the batteries don't last! This necessitates a further op' even for those it works for.

Prof Goadsby and the surgeon who are doing these in the London Institue of Neurology are giving a presentation on ONSI at the OUCH UK Annual Conference in June so we can give you a breakdown after that of what they say if people are interested

Wendy
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss