Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 6:31am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Information needed »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Information needed
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Information needed  (Read 322 times)
r16chh

Email

Information needed
« on: Feb 24th, 2005, 1:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Can anyone give me the names of medication I can take for the prevention of ch.

I have had these for at least 6 years and I am currently on pizotifen (sanomigran 0.5mg) daily.

My employees have told me that I cannot work with these tables due to one of the side effects (drowsyness).

Is there anything out there that prevents ch and has no drowsyness side effects.

Thankyou
r16chh[email][/email]
IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

Re: Information needed
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24th, 2005, 1:39pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I take verpamil for prevention, 200mgs, twice a day.
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

r16chh

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 24th, 2005, 1:43pm »

Does the have side effects of drowsyness.
IP Logged
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 24th, 2005, 2:41pm »

Verapamil is a calcium channel blocker most commonly used for Blood pressure problems.  Side effects usually are minumal, most often the worst of them is constipation.  

Some people are prescribed Lithium as well, but that is usually a cocktail for chronic sufferers taht don't respond to the Verapamil alone, or the preventive effects of it are not sufficient to better their quality of life.  

Unfortuneately there is nothing, yes nothing that is 100% effective as of yet, and of course there is no cure.  You might benifit from reading up on all the information over to the left of this page, take the cluster quiz, and print out everything you can that applies to you and take it to your neurologist.  

Keep us posted on what you learn.  The only thing that is known for sure is that no two people are the same and no one treatment works for everyone.
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 24th, 2005, 2:56pm »

My husband has had amazing success with the lithium "pulsing" method.  He's in month three of a nearly painless cycle because of this theory.

The idea behind it is to see if you have a regular pattern of when your headaches hit you.  Is one of them stronger/worse than the rest?  That's the one you need to kill.  Take 300mg of lithium carbonate (the immediate release kind) two hours before that attack.  My husband noticed improvement that first night.  He had to add a second dose in the morning because killing the Queen Bee wasn't enough and he had to kill that next Princess too.  Since he's done that though, he's been relatively pain free, except at peak of cycle about three weeks ago when he did have to resort to imitrex and oxygen.  We've stopped counting pain free days now though...we're counting weeks instead.  He's going to try to drop that morning dose this weekend and see what happens.  He did try that a couple of weeks ago and, within hours, he was getting hit again.

IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 24th, 2005, 7:56pm »

I'm not familiar with the drug you're taking - it's probably called something different here in the States.  

Verapamil (Calan) is my preventative drug - 480mg/day.  It takes about a week to kick in, but once it does, the HA's decrease rapidly in both frequency and intensity.  For aborting a CH, you might ask about Oxygen.  If your doctor isn't familiar with these things, I'd suggest finding another one - more knowledgeable about Clusters.

Best Wishes,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 24th, 2005, 9:47pm »

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf

Read it and give to your doc!!! A great resource!!

Good luck!

Eric
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
don

Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 25th, 2005, 7:23am »

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100002087.html
IP Logged
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

« Reply #8 on: Feb 25th, 2005, 8:52am »

shrooms work for some.
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss