Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 2:23pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Craniopathy? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Craniopathy?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Craniopathy?  (Read 808 times)
chockey
New Board Newbie
USA 

My body seems to be striking against me!

OzTransferHelp
WWW Email

Craniopathy?
« on: Aug 4th, 2005, 9:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My boss went to her chiropractor today and was telling him about the headaches I've been having and the possibility of them being CH. He was familiar with CH and told her to tell me that he can help me. It seems that he is unlike normal chiropractors in that he does not do the normal general adjustments of twisting your back or neck. He is very specific with his adjustments and seems to specialize in a thing called Craniopathy where he actually adjusts 1 or more of the 8 cranial bones in the cranium and this supposedly has a great impact on migraine and headache sufferers. After looking at his website it seems that a lot of people have had good results from this type of chiropractic therapy. Has anyone had any similar experiences with different forms of chiropractic care? I'm probably going to go and have him check me out as I figure it can't hurt.
IP Logged
mcf69
New Board Old Timer
USA 

I am acutely aware of where my trigeminal nerve is

mcf692001   mcf692001
WWW Email

Re: Craniopathy?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 4th, 2005, 11:12pm »

Chris, be carefull of claims by chiropractors, CH has nothing to do with the positioning of any cranial bones, but rather with your hypothalmus which can't be "adjusted".  My story of Chiropractors and CH:
My chiropractor told me one time "I see people with cluster headaches all the time, I can fix that", right away I knew we weren't talking about the same kind of headaches.  He explained to me that by adjusting my neck and "adjusting the plates of your cranium" he could cure me of clusters!!!!  Of course he explained that "they will get worse before they get better" and that I would probably have one later in the day (sound a little fishy yet?).  I just kind of sat there and looked at him with a dumb look, and said, I don't think so, but give it a try.  I am normally very leary about chiropractors snapping my neck aroud and let him do what he thought needed to be done.  I didn't have an attack later that day, but sure did that night (and many nights after)  I let him do it for a couple days before I finally put a stop to him yanking my head around.  In short the moral of the story is I had no luck with it, most others haven't, and I'd be very carefull letting someone snap my neck and "adjust cranial bones" that aren't supposed to move in the first place.  Be carefull, many chiropractors will keep you coming back for visit after visit to get paid, while not doing you a bit of good.  Just my two cents.....
Ben
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #2 on: Aug 4th, 2005, 11:16pm »

Chris, Save your money and use it for a dr appointment. I can't recall ever hearing that any kind of chiropractic treatment ever helped anyone with CH.  
I don't know, moving the bones around in my cranium during a time of a lot of CH activity...that sounds like it could hurt. Just my  twocents
pain free wishes, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Aug 4th, 2005, 11:24pm »

Quote:
he actually adjusts 1 or more of the 8 cranial bones in the cranium

Huh? Does he have an explaination on how he can "adjust" cranial bones?
Ditto what nani said.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
brainfreeze
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 4th, 2005, 11:27pm »

Been there, done that.  No help here either. Gave it a good try though. Smiley
IP Logged

Susan
kimmeesue
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 5th, 2005, 12:34am »

My eldest son is a nurse and in chiropractic school.  He has sufferrred with me for most of his life and would like nothing better than to find a cure.  He has sought assistance from all of his instructors as well as visiting lecturers and not a single one suggested that chiropractic could help in any way with clusters.
Don't we all wish it could be something so easy????
IP Logged

If I wasn't doing this I'd probably be doing something else.
jcmquix
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

jcmquix  
Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 5th, 2005, 8:14am »

I just wanted to add to what all these great people have had to say.

Back when I was younger and I did not know it was CH that I had, I tried the CHIRO route.... It did not do anything for the CH and I remember that I went for almost 3 months at one point. I think that it even made them worse after I had an adjustment...  

I do not think its good to have someone poping the bones in your neck like chicken bones...

Just my 2 cents.... follow the advise given on this site and the people here, check the links to the left.  

Do yourself a favor and see a Nero Dr, they do not have all the answers, but will start you in the right direction..  

Wishing you Pain Free Days.....  
Charlie
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space. (burnt-toast)
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #7 on: Aug 5th, 2005, 8:28am »

I think Craniopathy is the greek translation for "whatkindofinsurancedoyouhavathoma"........

Many chiropractors in their search for a sound revenue stream have stepped over the line from an ethical standpoint and made claims that are fantastic. Save your money, use it on something that is listed as effective on the treatments/meds page on this site.

Scott
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
Ueli

Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 5th, 2005, 8:37am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

The old scam of "Craniosacral Therapy" Sad.
Read about it at http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/cranial.html

In an adult the cranial bones are interlocked with tooth-like seams and fused to one rigid shell. I takes something more than the hands of a chiropractor, something like a baseball bat, to re-adjust their position.

smokin

IP Logged
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 5th, 2005, 8:55am »

sounds like the man had a craniectomy....
 Grin
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
jcmquix
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

jcmquix  
Email

« Reply #10 on: Aug 5th, 2005, 10:47am »

on Aug 5th, 2005, 8:37am, Ueli wrote:
The old scam of "Craniosacral Therapy" Sad.
Read about it at http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/cranial.html

In an adult the cranial bones are interlocked with tooth-like seams and fused to one rigid shell. I takes something more than the hands of a chiropractor, something like a baseball bat, to re-adjust their position.

smokin

I bet He had something like this in mind for your Adjustment  Undecided

I'd so go by this advice given here...  

IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space. (burnt-toast)
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #11 on: Aug 5th, 2005, 11:15am »

I tried it and it did notihng for my ch or migraines.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

« Reply #12 on: Aug 5th, 2005, 7:12pm »

I've been using craniopathy for years but know it by it's more medico/scientific name - "banging-my-head-against-a-brick-wall-until-the-bleeding-becomes-so-seve re-I-can't-see-anymore".

Results have varied over time but it's still cheaper done at home than by a Chiro and you don't need an appointment.
IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
clarence
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wake up

nailinmyeye
WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Aug 6th, 2005, 9:23am »

BCH (before cluster headaches), I saw a Chiropractor for headaches (that were definately not CH).  He was the dad of a friend of mine.  I couldn't afford to pay, so he charged me $1 for each visit.  He was a fantastic man, and a great chiropractor, and genuinely concerned with my pain.  He did help those headaches (I had been in a car accident, screwed up my back and neck, and had headaches as a result.  I stress that this was not CH.  Matter of fact, when I got the settlement from the insurance, the portion he would have collected he told me to keep to pay for tuition.  He was a genuine and caring man.).

I then moved to a new state where I went to a Chiro.  This guy was a crook.  I told him my insurance would cover 20 visits.  Thats all I could afford.  Well, I am not saying that in those last few visits that he actively DID something that caused me an increase in headaches...but I would bet money that he DIDN'T do things that he had previously done in order to keep me coming back.  I never went back.

Conclusion: I would go to a chiro if I thought it would help my CH (hell, I'd cut off my left nut if I thought it would help).  BUt if I went to a Chiro, I would want to go to one I knew was trustworthy, like my friend's dad.

Casey
IP Logged

NY Yankees Suck!!!

"Bart, don't make fun of Grad students. They just made a terrible life decision," Marge Simpson

Where I live: http://rainfallsoneveryone.com
daniel_tn
New Board Newbie
USA 

This mofo ain't gonna win!!

crackpotathopathy
« Reply #14 on: Aug 7th, 2005, 12:13am »

Wink
hi,
i agree with all the posters here so far. your "dr" is a quack. shifting your cranial bones can't possibly do anything positive for you. G-d fused them together for a good reason, and they ought to be kept that way, fused.
 Roll Eyes
for me, nobody messes with my fused cranial bones, my spine or my neck.  
my wife is a former nurse and i'm a former emt, and between us, we've never one time unfused anybody's cranial bones.  Lips Sealed Tongue

chiropractic is more an art of marketing than medicine.  

it seems that over the years, these folks seem to think that they are now experts at "alternative" medicine rather than just practitioners whose role is to aleviate back pain. it's by no means a cure all.

my wife tells the story of having met a chiropractor who claimed that he could cure the profound mental retardation of one of her patients. the patient's mom, hoping for any cure at all, bought into this absurdity. she spent hundreds on vitamins and herbs through this person. needless to say her son's retardation remains, her money does not.  

best of luck, and hoping for lots of no pain days.
daniel  Roll Eyes cowboy  
me&mb
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss