Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 6:00pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « New to this horror and a few questions »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   New to this horror and a few questions
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New to this horror and a few questions  (Read 393 times)
daniel_tn
New Board Newbie
USA 

This mofo ain't gonna win!!

New to this horror and a few questions
« on: Aug 6th, 2005, 4:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Shocked  
Hello,

My wife and I realized last night at 4 in the morning that I probably have cluster headaches. I've been awakened from a sound sleep at the same time fairly often for the last month and a half with a stunning savage pain in my head.  

These headaches are unlike any I've ever had in my life.  

After reading your site and others, I have all the symptoms of CH. Tonight, if another one comes, and I suppose the mofo will come, I will go to the ER and get a CAT scan.

A month and a half ago, I cut my alcohol drinking down by about 90%. Within 5 days, these headahces began.  
Could this have triggered my CH?

Also, should I be drinking a little bit to prevent these or minimize these. Should I abstain completely? What is the relationship between these brutal headaches and moderate alcohol consumption? I understand that I not to drink or smoke during an attack, but what about when I'm not afflicted?

The idea that I will have these headaches for the rest of my life scares the hell out of me. It is the worst pain I've ever experienced.  

I am so glad to have found this site, and so glad to know that there is such a wealth of knowledge, if not relief, out there.  

I look forward to your replies and thank you in advance.

-daniel Undecided
« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2005, 4:06pm by daniel_tn » IP Logged
Limey
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

Re: New to this horror and a few questions
« Reply #1 on: Aug 6th, 2005, 4:17pm »

Alcohol makes cluster headaches worse, much worse.
Most sufferers are episodial and you'll reach the end of your cycle soon. Hang on in there and stay off the alcohol completely until your cycle is over. Just one single drink can trigger an attack.
IP Logged
yikes-another-one
New Board Old Timer
USA 

dancenshout2002   joyflheart2004
Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 6th, 2005, 4:23pm »

Angry

Not fair that you have to suffer.
not fair any of us have to,

but you fight on with what you get.

Keep reading arond on the site,  
you will find lots of info about  
abortive medicines, and about even prevenatives.

This pain comes and goes.
It could be worse.
We could be stuck in a coma
or stuck in a wheelchair....

right now, we are just stuck in the head.

SO, leanr all you can, and fight the monster.
Don't let him steal your life away.

Get good and mad and then,
chant or dance or have a red bull
or meditate....
whatever it takes.

Then, when the beast retreats to who cares where,
pick up the rest of your life and live on...
doing your best to enjoy all the pain free moments.

If the pain comes back, you do what you need to
and then, when it retreats again....
go on.

That's what we do.
That's all we can do.

Engery...it flies out the window.
Memory...well, I guess that's why god gave us paper and pens.
Make room for what's most important,
and push off anything you can until you feel better.

Figh on, brave soldiers.
Do what you can....and enjoy every minute.

(if you read chockey's posts, you may find more encouragement, too.)

God bless us, with more pain free days and nights.
IP Logged

Psalm 23 - Goodness and mercy shall follow US all the days of our lives and WE will dwell in the house of LOVE forever.
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 6th, 2005, 4:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi Daniel and welcome to the madhouse. Sorry you had to come looking for us but glad you found us.

(1) Get a neuro and a diagnosis

Read, read, read !! Ask lots of questions

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf

http://www.maplefallswebdesign.com/misc/oxygen/oxygen.htm

Most clusterheads prefer O2 or Imitrex injections.  

Goodluck,
UNsolved
IP Logged
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 6th, 2005, 5:17pm »

Welcome aboard but I'm sorry you are dealing with this horror.  

It's not etched in stone that these will last the rest of your life. I'm 58 and mine have been gone for 13 years. We have some evidence that there may be an age factor in that we know that there are some who feel that age is the reason they become less of a problem. It's not at all scientific but it's interesting.

Here is a technique that worked very well for me:

Dr. Wright’s Circulatory Technique:

I am not sure what mechanism is triggered by this but whatever it is, at least indirectly helps kill the pain. I do know that this technique has nothing to do with meditation, relaxation, or psychic ability. It is entirely physical and takes some work. It involves concentrating on trying to redirect a little circulation to the arms, hands, or legs. It can described as a conscious circulatory flexing. Increased circulation will result in a reddening and warming of the hands. Try to think of it as filling your hands with redirected blood. The important and difficult part is that it has to be done without interruption through the pain. Do not give up in frustration. It may not work on the first try. Every now and then it will work almost immediately. I lived for those moments. Try experimenting between attacks. You will find that it gets easier with practice.

I was given less than five minutes instruction in the use of method. The doctor, while placing his arm on his desk, showed me that he could slightly increase his arm and hand circulation. After several attempts, I was able to repeat this procedure and use it successfully. I have had about a 75% success rate shortening these attacks. My 20 minute attacks were often reduced to 10 minutes or less. Once proven that I had a chance to effectively deal with this horror, I always gave it a try as I had nothing to lose but pain.

Perhaps it will help if you think of it as trying to fill the arm as if it is were an empty vessel. I used to try to imagine I was pushing blood away from my head into my arm. Use your imagination. There is one man who wrote that his standing barefoot on a concrete floor shortened his attacks. This may be similar as it draws some circulation away from the head. Cold water, exercise, or anything affecting circulation, seems to be worth a try. My suggestion is to not let up immediately when the pain goes. Waiting a minute is probably a good idea. So long as you do not slack off, this has a chance of working.

This technique is very useful while waiting for medication to take effect or when none is available. It costs nothing, is non-invasive, and can be used just about anywhere. It is not a miracle but it helped me deal with this horror. It can be a bit exhausting but the success rate was good enough for me and a cluster headache sufferer will do just about anything to end the pain. It gives us a fighting chance.  

Charlie  
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
bnfreeman
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 6th, 2005, 5:21pm »

Hi Daniel,

Before I knew I had cluster headaches, I found out really fast that if I had a margarita at the mexican restraunt that I love, I was doomed. Lightning would strike me there. And yes, it is some of the worst pains you experience.  

But, we all have each other. You're not crazy, we all know how it feels. As much as it may suck right now, you probably need to stay away from alcohol. At least until you know if your episodic. Then when your cycle ends, you can have a drink.  Wink

Find a good doc, ASAP! Good luck to you.

Brandi
IP Logged
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Aug 6th, 2005, 7:48pm »

on Aug 6th, 2005, 4:04pm, daniel_tn wrote:
Shocked  
Hello,

My wife and I realized last night at 4 in the morning that I probably have cluster headaches. I've been awakened from a sound sleep at the same time fairly often for the last month and a half with a stunning savage pain in my head.  

These headaches are unlike any I've ever had in my life.  

After reading your site and others, I have all the symptoms of CH. Tonight, if another one comes, and I suppose the mofo will come, I will go to the ER and get a CAT scan.

A month and a half ago, I cut my alcohol drinking down by about 90%. Within 5 days, these headahces began.  
Could this have triggered my CH?

Also, should I be drinking a little bit to prevent these or minimize these. Should I abstain completely? What is the relationship between these brutal headaches and moderate alcohol consumption? I understand that I not to drink or smoke during an attack, but what about when I'm not afflicted?

The idea that I will have these headaches for the rest of my life scares the hell out of me. It is the worst pain I've ever experienced.  

I am so glad to have found this site, and so glad to know that there is such a wealth of knowledge, if not relief, out there.  

I look forward to your replies and thank you in advance.

-daniel Undecided

It is possible that you have clusters but please go through the necessary testing and neurology exam(s) to rule out other causes.  

In the event that you have clusters drinking during an active cycle is usually bad news.  Reducing alcohol comsumption is most likely helping - not causing clusters.  But you should stop entirely and see if your condition improves.  

Most sufferers trigger attacks with alcohol but this is not a stone solid rule - some drink without triggering headaches.  Such is the nature of this nightmare.

The bad new is that the condition is usually lifelong and the good news is that most suffers are episodic.  If this is your first cycle you will have some learning to do as to how your CHs will settle into a cycle.  Long remissions with short active cycles is not uncommon.  

Keep a good journal, read and understand CH and how you may be affected, pepare for your appointment with a good Doc. and get a good diagnosis.

Good luck on your journey

Tom  
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
LasVegas
New Board Veteran
USA 

Episodic CH since 11 yrs old, now 39.

Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 6th, 2005, 11:29pm »

on Aug 6th, 2005, 7:48pm, burnt-toast wrote:

The bad new is that the condition is usually lifelong and the good news is that most suffers are episodic.  If this is your first cycle you will have some learning to do as to how your CHs will settle into a cycle.  Long remissions with short active cycles is not uncommon.  

Keep a good journal, read and understand CH and how you may be affected, pepare for your appointment with a good Doc. and get a good diagnosis.

Good luck on your journey

Tom            

Could not have wrote it any better.  We all can relate first-hand and understand what you may be going through, please feel free to ask as many questions as you'd like and take advantage of the wealth of information that is on this site.  Gregg in Las Vegas
IP Logged

Wishing all a Pain Free 2008!
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #8 on: Aug 7th, 2005, 3:01am »

Daniel,

ch & alcohol don't go well together... A sip of champagne at a friend's graduation party got me nearly attack. Can't imagine what would have happened if I had had the whole glass...

Anyways, I hope that you don't have ch. It's a beast you don't want to have... If you haven't seen a neurologist yet, book a time to see one soon so you can be sure. And read all the info available here. Lots of info about meds & treatments, use it. If you have questions, don't be afraid to ask. Smiley

Best wishes,
Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss