Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 3:57pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Broken Circadian Clock and 'Addictive Personality' »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Broken Circadian Clock and 'Addictive Personality'
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Broken Circadian Clock and 'Addictive Personality'  (Read 490 times)
floridian

Email

Broken Circadian Clock and 'Addictive Personality'
« on: Aug 7th, 2005, 6:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

People here been saying it for years; now the science-folk believe it to be true. Having a messed up circadian clock can give rise to an 'addictive personality.'    

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/08/050805180443.htm
« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2005, 6:54pm by floridian » IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

Re: Broken Circadian Clock and 'Addictive Personal
« Reply #1 on: Aug 7th, 2005, 7:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Very interesting and would be amazing to take a sample of us and get the true stories Wink

Thanks for all you do!!!

Ex2
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Aug 7th, 2005, 11:16pm »

on Aug 7th, 2005, 6:52pm, floridian wrote:
People here been saying it for years; now the science-folk believe it to be true. Having a messed up circadian clock can give rise to an 'addictive personality.'    

All they had to do was just ask us. We could tell them science fellas a thing or two.
But it good to see science moving into the 20th century.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
kimmeesue
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 7th, 2005, 11:43pm »

My circadian clock got smashed to smithereens and I would very much like to be addicted to sleep.
IP Logged

If I wasn't doing this I'd probably be doing something else.
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 8:56am »

From the OUCH Library:
Quote:
SEROTONIN STUDIES SHOW ROLE IN COCAINE ADDICTION, Chicago Tribune, May 14, 1998

"Associated Press, Los Angeles - The chemical messenger serotonin is turning out to be a bigger player in cocaine addiction than previously thought, according to two studies that could help researchers find new approaches to treating and preventing drug abuse. The studies released Wednesday looked at the roles of dopamine and serotonin in laboratory mice that were forced to press levers to get doses of cocaine.  Researchers have long held that increases in dopamine - a chemical associated with movement, thought, motivation and pleasure-in the brain produce some of the euphoria and addictive effects of cocaine. Serotonin - involved in emotions, mood, and probably sleep and aggression-was thought to play some role in achieving a high.  But the new studies show it also plays an important role in how vulnerable an animal, or human may be. "We used to have a religion called the dopamine religion that said that you could explain anything solely on the basis of dopamine," said Alan Leshner, director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse. The new results suggest more attention must be paid to serotonin, he said. "That opens a new line of thinking because we know serotonin is important in many other mood states, like depression." "It's a really major discovery," said Francis White, who heads the department of cellular and molecular pharmacology at the Finch University of Health Sciences/Chicago Medical School.  The work was funded by Leshner's institute and led by Rene Hen at Columbia University and Beatriz Rocha at the University of North Texas.  They found that specially bred mice lacking a gene involved in the brain's response to serotonin were more motivated to take cocaine than normal mice. They were also more sensitive to the drug's effects. The mutant mice also showed an increased attraction to alcohol and more impulsiveness, a trait often associated with drug abuse. That study, underscoring the role of genetics in addiction, appears in Thursday's issue of the Journal Nature. In the other study, which will appear in the June issue of  the journal Nature Neuroscience, Marc Caron found evidence that cocaine's effects are not solely controlled by the dopamine system and that serotonin or some other mechanism may initiate and maintain an attraction to cocaine."
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 11:28am »

I KNEW it!  I knew something besides my hopothalmus wasn't functioning correctly!  Now I've got a GD broken clock too!  Must be true, cause I'm addicted to cigarettes, beer, and this website! Grin
IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
scarmig
New Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 3:42pm »

I'll gladly be the odd man out on this.

No addictions, funhouse of clusters.

I really tried to become an alcoholic.  Me and vodka got to be real close buddies.  My wife came home to find me conversing with the walls, and she asked me to stop.

No problem.  Didn't get the shakes, nothing.  Even now, when my clusters hit, the beer fridge I pass a dozen times a day sits quietly for months, waiting for me to return.

I have pipes and cigars, enough to sustain a quite robust daily habit.  But I quite literally forget to have them.  For months at a time.

Caffine, well, if there's anything I'm addicted to it's that, but I'm not sure if one coke in the morning counts.  Of course, when I'm on cycle it's cafergot twice a day, plus Red Bull to abort, so we'll see how that goes in a couple months.

what else,

Pot, tried it maybe half a dozen times.  No craving for it, no real desire to try it again.  I don't think it ever worked on me proper.

I had wrist surgery a while back, got a month's supply of the really good hydrocodone.  While they made me very happy I quit taking them after a week.  Just sorta forgot about them.

Can't think of anything else.  The worse withdrawel problem I can remember is when I changed my work schedule and couldn't spend 5 hours a day with my daughter anymore.  I'm working to rectify that.  2 hours just isn't near enough time.  Drives me nuts.
IP Logged
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 3:52pm »

on Aug 8th, 2005, 3:42pm, scarmig wrote:
I'll gladly be the odd man out on this.

No addictions, funhouse of clusters.

I really tried to become an alcoholic.  Me and vodka got to be real close buddies.  My wife came home to find me conversing with the walls, and she asked me to stop.

No problem.  Didn't get the shakes, nothing.  Even now, when my clusters hit, the beer fridge I pass a dozen times a day sits quietly for months, waiting for me to return.

I have pipes and cigars, enough to sustain a quite robust daily habit.  But I quite literally forget to have them.  For months at a time.

Caffine, well, if there's anything I'm addicted to it's that, but I'm not sure if one coke in the morning counts.  Of course, when I'm on cycle it's cafergot twice a day, plus Red Bull to abort, so we'll see how that goes in a couple months.

what else,

Pot, tried it maybe half a dozen times.  No craving for it, no real desire to try it again.  I don't think it ever worked on me proper.

I had wrist surgery a while back, got a month's supply of the really good hydrocodone.  While they made me very happy I quit taking them after a week.  Just sorta forgot about them.

Can't think of anything else.  The worse withdrawel problem I can remember is when I changed my work schedule and couldn't spend 5 hours a day with my daughter anymore.  I'm working to rectify that.  2 hours just isn't near enough time.  Drives me nuts.

You may not be addicted to anything, but you sure have a memory loss problem! Grin
IP Logged
jcmquix
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

jcmquix  
Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 5:14pm »

on Aug 7th, 2005, 11:43pm, kimmeesue wrote:
My circadian clock got smashed to smithereens and I would very much like to be addicted to sleep.

Is there somewhere beside E-bay to order another one of these..???

No I do not want to try the Good Dr.. lurking around the board NEITHER...  Shocked
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space. (burnt-toast)
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 6:44pm »

Great and informative article, Flo!

There's no doubt many of us would fit that mold with one type of addiction or another.  For me, it's my cigs and 2 glasses of wine a night (not 1 .... not 3 .... 2 and only 2).  You see, I'm very controlling about my addictions.  I also refuse to ever smoke more than 1 pack cigs/day.  If I use up my allotment, I'm done for the day.

I sure wish I could control these damned clusters the same way!

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
scarmig
New Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #10 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 8:34am »

on Aug 8th, 2005, 3:52pm, marlinsfan wrote:

You may not be addicted to anything, but you sure have a memory loss problem! Grin

LOL!  My wife would wholeheartedly concur.  Smiley
IP Logged
brainfreeze
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #11 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 12:30pm »

on Aug 8th, 2005, 3:52pm, marlinsfan wrote:

laugh

I am a creature of habit.   I think about drinking but haven't any interest.  I think about pain med's, marijuana, and other stuff, no interest.  I do have to have my cigarettes though.  I have stopped smoking on more than one occassion for 1 yr or more.   And coffee,  oh yes,  where would I be without coffee!!!!  Just hook up an IV to the coffeepot,  I'm  happy Grin
IP Logged

Susan
clarence
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wake up

nailinmyeye
WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Aug 10th, 2005, 7:48am »

Does addictive behavior include being borderline OCD about some things?  I am very very particular about the pen I use, and how it is handled when other people borrow it.  Probably too particular, but it is my pen!  I'ts just a $2 pen from the store, but its my $2 pen.

casey
IP Logged

NY Yankees Suck!!!

"Bart, don't make fun of Grad students. They just made a terrible life decision," Marge Simpson

Where I live: http://rainfallsoneveryone.com
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #13 on: Aug 10th, 2005, 8:02am »

on Aug 10th, 2005, 7:48am, clarence wrote:
Does addictive behavior include being borderline OCD about some things?  I am very very particular about the pen I use, and how it is handled when other people borrow it.  Probably too particular, but it is my pen!  I'ts just a $2 pen from the store, but its my $2 pen.

casey

No that's just being Canadian.  laugh
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
cazman
New Board Veteran
USA 

if ya dont like it take a walk

kingcazman
Email

« Reply #14 on: Aug 10th, 2005, 9:57pm »

ok ill bite on this why not it fits me i play with the beast every year sometimes twice and i have an addictive personality cant deny that ask my ex lol
IP Logged
aggiegran
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

AnnRow1117

« Reply #15 on: Aug 10th, 2005, 10:43pm »

I don't have an addiction to anything but ice tea, I do know that when my thyroid is high,I get more headaches...
IP Logged
jcmquix
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

jcmquix  
Email

« Reply #16 on: Aug 11th, 2005, 7:24am »

The only things I'm addicted to are NASCAR racing, cigarettes, beer (which I can not have while in cycle), and this website!

Thats about it.....  beer smokin

PFDAN's to All !!!
Charlie
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space. (burnt-toast)
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss