Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 5:57pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Congestion »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Congestion
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Congestion  (Read 344 times)
bJordan
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

Congestion
« on: Aug 8th, 2005, 2:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm not new, but it's been several years since I've been here.  Out of mind out of mind I guess.  But they're back.
Got 3 today already.  Always get a lot of anger in the beginning of a cycle.
Anyway this round seems somewhat different.  Each attack is preceded with unbeleivable congestion in my left nostril (this side my attacks come).  The congestion is unbearable.  I am also addicted to nasal spray and it does not help during these attacks at all.
What I was wondering is:  Do other people experience this extreme congestion?  I've always had my nose run when getting an attack, but this time it's really dammed up!
And also since the only other person I know personally to have these (my brother) is also on the evil nose spray, if there may be some connection?  Any other nose spray junkies out there with Clusters?

Thanks and forgive my rambling.
Brian
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

Re: Congestion
« Reply #1 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 2:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I'm not a "nose spray junky" but I do experience (nose) congestion on the same side as the pain .... everytime.

Unsolved
IP Logged
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #2 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 3:08pm »

on Aug 8th, 2005, 2:46pm, bJordan wrote:
I'm not new, but it's been several years since I've been here.  Out of mind out of mind I guess.  But they're back.
Got 3 today already.  Always get a lot of anger in the beginning of a cycle.
Anyway this round seems somewhat different.  Each attack is preceded with unbeleivable congestion in my left nostril (this side my attacks come).  The congestion is unbearable.  I am also addicted to nasal spray and it does not help during these attacks at all.
What I was wondering is:  Do other people experience this extreme congestion?  I've always had my nose run when getting an attack, but this time it's really dammed up!
And also since the only other person I know personally to have these (my brother) is also on the evil nose spray, if there may be some connection?  Any other nose spray junkies out there with Clusters?

1.) It's pretty consistent that Cluster folks get nasal congestion on the same side as their CH symptoms. "Dammed up" is a pretty good description. Damnable is another word to use.

2.) The congestion for most of us is pretty bearable, compared to the unbearable nature of the pain.

3.) Certain symptoms are pretty consistent from sufferer to sufferer, but virtually everyone has some little personalized special symptom or something that works or doesn't work for them. Many times these are based on other illnesses or ailments that the sufferer has that accentuate are abbreviate certain aspects of the CH experience. Nasal spray "addiction" will probably bring some symptoms that others don't get, as well as potential issues for treatments and medications.

Make your doctor aware of your "problem" before you go in for prescriptives to help your CH. Maybe he can help you get past the nasal spray issue -- as, long term, nasal spray will cause you much misery down the road in other ways.

IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 5:43pm »

Congested and runny but nose spray does not even help as it won't go through.
IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 6:37pm »

During a hit, my right nostril will begin to run like a sieve, just the opposite of "congestion".  But, then it will begin to clog up where I cannot get any air through it at all to the point of pain and  breathing difficulty.  At some point, mid way through the hit, I will begin to sneeze, very violently where it actually hurts my chest/lungs, and this will go on for several minutes, non-stop.  Once the sneezing has started to diminish, I can then take a shot of nasal spray.  It will not work at all if I take it too soon.  Gotta stop the sneezing first.  I use Sinex 12 hr - only one very short shot in the right nostril.  This will usually help open the nasal passage and I start breathing again normally.  I have noticed on the directions of all nasal decongestant sprays to use from one to three squirts in each nostril.  Never, never this much.  Only one teeny tiny squirt helps, and it keeps me from being dependent on the stuff to breathe.
IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 7:59pm »

Quote:
Do other people experience this extreme congestion?

Oh yes.  Extreme as in 'total blockage'.  Then sometimes it will get runny as the CH progresses.  Actually the blockage precedes the pain, so I use it as a warning sign.  Forget the nasal sprays... I've never had one work and there's hell to pay in rebound congestion.

--- Steve
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
floridian

Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 2:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Congestion, runny nose, tearing of one eye, swelling of the eye, these are all common symptoms - sometimes worse than others.  

I don't like the nasal sprays. A dependence builds up quickly, and then if a squirt is missed, the sinuses rebound and swell shut.  Pseudophed is also a powerful med with undesireable effects in clusterheads - it messes with the Hypothalamus-Pituitary-Adrenal system and the circadian cycles.
IP Logged
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 7:52pm »

severe congestion is common for me during attacks.  I've learned that blowing my nose in an attempt to clear it while an attack is active is not only foolish because it instantly clogs back up but it can increase the intensity of an attack 70+% of the time.  I just deal with it until the attack subsides.

Tom
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
Tom54
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 10th, 2005, 1:23am »

Years ago as an episodic I had congestion left side only; then later in life, I turned into chronic at 2-3/day. Don't want to scare you any cuz everyone is different...doesn't mean you'd go chronic. I pray you don't.
Tom
IP Logged
brainfreeze
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 10th, 2005, 9:19am »

My stuffy nostril is always a sign I'm getting a CH.  The right side always stops up yet runs profusely (?).  Since this is such a common characteristic (for me),  my docs and I tried lidocaine nose spray to see if it affected the pain that started accompanying the stuffiness.  Lidocaine is a numbing solution. It seemed to work but like all other meds,  it's effectiveness wore off after using it for a time.  Now I'm prescribed steriod nasal spray (Nasonex) for the blockage.  It's much better than OTC nasal sprays.  If you need a nasal spray,  talk to your doc about a prescribed one that doesn't cause addiction.
IP Logged

Susan
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Aug 10th, 2005, 9:24am »

I used to joke that I could soak a towel with sweat and snot during a bad attack...
gross huh?
 Grin
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
rickyshot
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

ouch

« Reply #11 on: Aug 10th, 2005, 1:41pm »

Oh wow That is me to the T. I thought I was the only one with the sneezing thing. I used to think it was allergies and sinus but found out different. And for me when in cycle if the congestion and sneezing is ch and not something else no decongestents will work at all. Oh man during this cycle when I sneeze I am FUCKED. What is up with that. It is the strangest malady.
IP Logged
Kiwiinoz58
New Board Junior
Australia 

Couldn't ya just SCREAM

39601840 39601840   kiwiinoz57  
Email

« Reply #12 on: Aug 10th, 2005, 5:44pm »

They surely are the weirdest thing these CH's. My daily routine is- very runny nose, violent sneezing & weeping eye followed by congestion, then the pain starts in jaw, ear and head and builds up to about an average of 7. Strange though I sometimes think I'm the only one who does not experience the "exploding eyeball"

Wishing you all PF days and nights,
Cheers,
Jacqs
IP Logged

We are here for a good time not a long time. Time then to think outside the square and to give and get the best possibles of love and life.
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #13 on: Aug 11th, 2005, 1:20pm »

I too am a nasal spray addict, from the many years of being told the CH was allergy attacks, and nothing and mean NOTHING they prescribed ever helped.  I got inbto the habit of using the spray before bed every night.  I thought that if my sinuses were clear at the time I went to sleep I could prevent the wake-me-up "allergy attacks"

Still use the spray, not as a preventive, but because I still want to breathe.... laugh
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss