Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 2:23pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « newbie needs to vent »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   newbie needs to vent
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: newbie needs to vent  (Read 947 times)
daniel_tn
New Board Newbie
USA 

This mofo ain't gonna win!!

newbie needs to vent
« on: Aug 8th, 2005, 10:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

i'm only on because i read somewhere on here that somebody said that sitting in front of the screen was helpful in some way.  
i need to vent a bit, and i know folks post this kind of crap all the time, so please forgive me.
i got diagnosed yesterday at the ER, even though i already knew from this site and others that i have CH. the CAT scan was clear, so that is good.
i missed my early morning hit, so got a good night sleep last night.
i've been waiting for the punishment all day, with shadows and cues all lining up, but nothing came.
then, just finishing dinner it hit. ramped up to a 9 in about 5 minutes. within 15 minutes i was pacing a crying and weeping in agony.
i thought yesterday during the lull time.. hell, i can handle this crap, i can deal with it.  
i was wrong.
this is the most intense agony i've ever experienced. it's the worst one yet.  
i took two lortabs that the Er doc gave me, and it didn't do a damn thing.
now two hours into it, it's ramping down to a 7 and i'm feeling some small relief.
my mother in law suggested a cold ice pack, and that actually gave me some localized relieft.
i don't know how i will function at work if i start getting hit with these during work hours.
i;m simply stunned by this nightmare and have no f**king idea how i can deal with it every day.
i actually thought about banging my head against the wall an hour ago. and only yesterday i thought, oh, folks are just exaggerating, or their pain threshold is lower than mine. bs. it;s a nightmare.  
you are all in my prayers and yes, you can bet i will be praying hard later before i try to sleep.
thanks for listening.
best,
dan
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

Re: newbie needs to vent
« Reply #1 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 10:56pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I know you may not believe this, but i've been through what you're going through now. It sounds like you're having some major hits. One thing I do during a major hit is to tell myself "this will end". It seems to help a little. Waiting and worrying about the next one will only bring on anxiety and make things seem even worse. Try to live your pain free hours as stress-free as possible.  

Remember "this too shall pass"

Stay strong and NEVER give up. Find a doc who will listen to you and help you. There is something out there that will help you, you just have to find it.

Goodluck

Pain Free Wishes

UNsolved
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #2 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 12:02am »

Listen to UNsolved, daniel... he's right. This won't kill you and it's just a matter of time before you find something that will help. In the meantime, we're all here for you. We really understand. When you feel like you're at the end of your rope...just holler...we've got lots of rope. pain free wishes, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 12:35am »

Hang in there Dan!
IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 1:17am »

daniel, sorry you're hurting. We have all been there. We know what you're saying. Venting is a good thing. Let it out.
Over on the Getting to Know Ya board is a thread 'Letter to Employers'. Might be a good idea to print it and take it to work with you. Let your boss and co-workers know about your headaches before they actually have to see one.
Maybe you boss will allow you to have an O2 tank at work just in case you need it. Can't hurt to ask, can it?
The ice treatment is something I've always used. Glad it worked for you. Some people use heat. You have to find your own way to cope.
Good luck to you. Vent away!
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
daniel_tn
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 3:12am »

bob,here it is again, 3am. thank you for the letter idea, i'll check it out.
hell, i even prayed really hard before i went to bed, too Shocked Undecided Lips Sealed Embarassed Tongue i'm so horrified by this. i'm supposed to fly north in a few days, how can i do it??? i am thinking of cancelling. i think my life is going to be ruined now. i can't believe this is happening.
IP Logged
AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

« Reply #6 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 4:03am »

on Aug 9th, 2005, 3:12am, daniel_tn wrote:
i am thinking of cancelling. i think my life is going to be ruined now.

If that's what you're thinking then you've lost and the beast has claimed another victim.

Don't let that happen, mate.  You're in charge, you take control! We know exactly what you're going through but tough it out, just for now.

Trust us.  All will be better in just a real short time.
IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
daniel_tn
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 4:12am »

on Aug 9th, 2005, 4:03am, AussieBrian wrote:

If that's what you're thinking then you've lost and the beast has claimed another victim.

Don't let that happen, mate.  You're in charge, you take control! We know exactly what you're going through but tough it out, just for now.

Trust us.  All will be better in just a real short time.

aussie, thank you for the reality check. i really appreciate it. you are right. i won't cancel.
i took one kudzu, one glass of coolaid, and one lortab,and i am now down to kip5
 Shocked Cheesy. heck, i might even be able to get back to sleep.  
and get this... our cat who ran away a month ago showed up this afternoon! he's sitting on my lap, happy as hell.
thank you for your reply. it really helps so much.
daniel
IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #8 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 4:48am »

Daniel.... hug

I'm so, so sorry you're getting hit badly right now. Cry
I hate the kip 9s....  Angry And I recall thinking that ch is ruing my life, too. But Daniel, DON'T LET IT!!!  

I know that it's easy to put the rest of your life on hold because of ch and just concentrade on the pain. But routines can help.... At least, doing regular things in spite of ch kept me together. But you're stronger than you think! We're here or you, all the time, day or night.  

Don't be afraid to vent, email, send IMs... your ch family is here. Smiley

Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

wip5150
New Board Junior
USA 

I have tired head

wip5150
Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 8:21am »

Daniel,

First of all, I'm sorry you're going through this.  We've all been there and it's scary as hell.  Even though it's been said several times in this thread, don't give up.

With my job, I travel a lot and when I'm in a cycle there are few things that scare me more than the pressure changes associated with flying.  However, that doesn't mean I sit at home - I just deal with it the best I can and live my life.  Some headaches are worse than others but, like Unsolved said, it will pass.  When I'm in a cycle, I always think that each headache I have is one closer to the end of the cycle and that does help a little.

A word of advice:  trial and error.  You'll find what works for you.  I've found that downing a Red Bull at the onset of a headache can cut the pain in half within about ten minutes.  I also use Imitrex nasal 20mg and that will abort my headache 80% of the time within about 20 minutes or so.  This past cycle my doctor perscribed Verapamil (120mg 3x a day) and that broke what was my longest cycle.  The point is, find a doctor that will listen to you and work with him/her to figure out how to attack your beast.

Best of luck and hang in there my friend.
IP Logged

Ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight? I have, and man it hurts
Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 8:23am »

Daniel - vent away.  That's what we are here for.  Sorry you are having such a hard time of it right now, but IT WILL GET BETTER!  You have to keep reminding yourself of that.  Keep telling yourself it will end.  

hugs hug
IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
daniel_tn
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #11 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 9:15am »

thank you all for your comments.
i'm at work now, and so far so good.
i have an appt with a neuro for this afternoon.
i'm very pleased about that!
also, ordered the 1200 mg kudzo online last night.
bought the 631s and working my way through those.
thanks again, all!
 Smiley
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #12 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 9:21am »

Daniel, don't wait for a HA to start before you take the kudzu. It's not an abortive. Take your doses an hour or so BEFORE you think you're going to get hit. PM me for more info if you'd like. pain free wishes, nani
IP Logged

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #13 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 11:23am »

Hiya  

This is a great resource to know like the back of your hand...print it out and give it to your doc  

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf

It will present the appropriate treatments that you should seek and your doctor should know!!!  

If you want an abortive with the least amount of side-effects O2 should not only be requested but demanded from your doctor!!!  

http://www.maplefallswebdesign.com/misc/oxygen/oxygen.htm  

I have recently been using Zyprexa as an abortive and have found it to work (for me) as fast as Imitrex and without the "hangover"  
http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=meds;action= display;num=1120904753

If you do have the "typical" wake you up in the middle of the night horrors then.... Melatonin might be very helpful  
Many of us (myself included) have found that taking 6-9mg (some take more) about a 1/2 hour to 45minutes prior to bed have Knocked out the night visits and can finally get sleep.  

With the exception of 10-12 times.....I have slept through the night since August '04 (went chronic in March 05).....Still get hit during the day but my overall quality of life is better because I am not as exhausted all the time.  

Some people report that it seems to make them worse....The fact is that we are all different and respond differently to everything therefore it may or may not...  

The one thing I will tell you as far as my experience was that I had to stick with it...The first night I took melatonin, I was awoken with a doozy only I was too groggy to find my O2 .....It got a lot better for me....I then slept through the night but would get slammed about 1/2 hour after waking up....kinda like knocking the beast off schedule.....then again I was peaking and this cycle has been all over the place with no real pattern.  
I stayed with melatonin and have had decent sleep overall.  

It may help and it is natural with not too many sideeffects....also ask your doctor b/c if there are any side effects or contraindications...I think they have to do with mild depression.....  

Like I said we are all different.  

Some tricks that I used to use and sometimes still do are:  
*Wrapping a bandana tightly around my skull (be careful)  
*Filling a sink with scaulding water creating a steam bath and placing my head over it with a towel covering  
it.  
*Going from Steam to Frigid shower.  
*Standing infront of A/C  
*Icepacks or frozen veggies on the back of the neck or eye  
*Tons of STRONG coffee

Best wishes, good luck & stay as positive as you can!!!!  

Eric  
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
clusterkat
New Board Newbie
USA 

clusterkat clinging by her claws

vkdoubleu2003@yahoo.com  
Email

« Reply #14 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 1:41pm »

*smiles understandingly*
ive been a sufferer for 3 years,
best advice for me,
has been payin attention to my triggers,
food, stress, over medicating, climate changes,
all affect us differently.
try to stay calm dan,
dominate the ch beast,
with info & patients.
trust me, i feel your frustration 10 fold,
i am planning my wedding,
going to dinners & showers,
and the beast is with me always.
good luck & welcome,
everyone is very kind & supportive.
^kat
IP Logged

"top of the pain chain!"
kimmeesue
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #15 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 3:50pm »

Glad you found this site.  I sufferrred alone for a lot of years.
Like you I tended to "anticipate" the worst and it was like a self-fuldilling prophesy.  You can't stop the "event" but you can have control to a degree.
A good doc is key but be prepared to feel like a test subject for a sci-fi experiment.  I hope the kudzu works for you and you can avoid the rest of it.
Have you tried melatonin?  Does wonders for the night hits.  I've had only two night hits since starting it last Dec.
Good luck.  And congrats on your kitty coming back.
IP Logged

If I wasn't doing this I'd probably be doing something else.
Smurf
New Board Junior

Together, we shall slay the dragon!

« Reply #16 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 4:26pm »

Hiya Dan,
So sorry you were dancing all night!   CryI was with you for part of it.  I can't type when I'm having them, though, so I catch up with everyone during the day.

I'll try the melatonin with you tonight!  Don't give up, even though when you're having them it's real tempting.  Prayer is really the best thing you can do.  You're not being punished for anything, if you're from one of the guilt-ridden religions like I was (past tense, if you notice!).

Everyone here is so great with their support and suggestions - best place to be when you're suffering from the worst!
Hugs of encouragement!
Smurf
IP Logged

It just goes to show ya...where ever you go, there you are.
daniel_tn
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #17 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 5:01pm »

thank you all. it's great to see all this encouragement!
well, just back from the neuro. he hadn't heard of kudzu so i gave him a printout about it. so, i have imetrex (orally to start), 7 days of prednisone, and some other junk for when the imetrex runs out or i have multiple hits in a day.  
is it ok to take melatonin in addition to all this other stuff?
and, i have "ghost" cues - it seems like it's just about to come and hit, and then it doesn't. i have these 5-10 times before i get the real one. so, my anxiety is constantly rising. i'm a mess about it, really.
i'm supposed to go dancing tonight with the wife, but i think i want to cancel.
 Undecided
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #18 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 5:04pm »

Those ghost hits (I call them phantom) are signs that the kudzu is working.  Smiley  Imitrex in pill form won't help much, as it takes a while to get into your system. That's why statdoses and nasal spray is recommended. I'm sorry he didn't give you oxygen...it's really the safest abortive out there. What's the other junk?
IP Logged

rickyshot
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

ouch

« Reply #19 on: Aug 10th, 2005, 1:52pm »

OMG I HEAR you Cry  I thought I was the only one who stuck my head in the freezer  

For you hug
IP Logged
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #20 on: Aug 10th, 2005, 3:10pm »

on Aug 9th, 2005, 5:01pm, daniel_tn wrote:

i'm supposed to go dancing tonight with the wife, but i think i want to cancel.
 Undecided

go anyway....

GO!!!  
make it fun.
(struggle anyway)
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #21 on: Aug 10th, 2005, 3:22pm »

Go dancing, but stay away from alcohol. It is a sure trigger for most of us. I don't dance much without a few beers in me, so needless to say, I don't dance much while in cycle....

You can take melatonin while on the prednisone taper and while on imitrex. Don't know what your other junk is, so can't say for sure.

Melatonin took a few days to work for me, but has made my nights bearable. Be sure you take the same amount every night, don't miss a night, and take always 30 mins before going to sleep.

Have you tried Oxygen? I hope you read what E-double wrote, he's the man. Oxygen works very good for most of us.

As for travel, I do a lot for work. I talk to my Oxygen supplier here in FLA, and they hook me up with O2 through other suppliers. In July I went to Phoenix, and they setup the O2 so when I checked into the hotel, I had 3 tanks in my room!

The caffeine works well to kill the shadows or ghosts as you call them. When I get a shadow, I'll chug a strong cold cup of black coffee. It kills it almost every time. I personally don't use red-bull, because I found that the citric acid is a trigger for me too. Also aspartame is a trigger for me (the sweetener in equal, diet coke, many of the mints/gums, etc.).  

We're here for you. Come vent anytime, we've all done it. When you come to grips with it, and stop venting, keep coming to support the others.

PF wishes.
Jose
IP Logged
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #22 on: Aug 10th, 2005, 3:25pm »

One more thing, on the work front. I work for a large company, and we have an infirmary on the 1st floor. I got an extra Oxygen prescription in my wallet, just in case, and I gave the infirmary a copy. Anytime I get a daytime hit, not many thankfully, I can run to the infirmary and suck on the oxygen!

Talk to your boss, he/she may let you keep a small tank in your workplace. Oxygen will kill my hits in 10-12 minutes, but the beauty of O2 is that it stops the headache from climbing up the kip scale, as opposed to the imitrex which take 20-30 minutes, and the headache keeps getting worse and worse until the trex kicks in.

IP Logged
KMT
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Fun loving @ heart

WWW Email

« Reply #23 on: Aug 10th, 2005, 6:02pm »

Don't cancel.  Have fun while you can and deal with the hits if they come.  Live life to the fullest and don't let the beast stop you.  

Sorry that you have been having such a ruff time lately. hug

Thoughts and prayers..................
IP Logged

aka...................................................... KimY
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #24 on: Aug 10th, 2005, 6:16pm »

You better go out or I will find you and smack ya around!

you are not to let this thing control you.

Make sure to get a grip as soon as you can (we are here to help with that) and to live life to it's fullest.

The fact is that if you're gonna get whackedit will happen at home or out so learn to live with it and show your honey a great time!!!

She needs it too as do all our supporters.
They are our backbones & it may lead to some extra fun Wink

Hope ya have a blast!

Eric
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss