Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 4:05pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Exercise & Clusters »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Exercise & Clusters
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Exercise & Clusters  (Read 372 times)
DJNOUCH
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Exercise & Clusters
« on: Aug 16th, 2005, 7:30am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have been a chronic cluster sufferer for about 7 years now with an average of about 2 major attacks a day.  I have always worked out with resistance type training, however about two months ago we bought an elipitcal stepper for cardio exercise.   I have been doing one hour on this machine three days a week....and have not had a single attack since....... Is there any known connection that anyone knows about ?   Or is this strictly a coincidence ?   Would sincerely appreciate any input ...  David    (Nlokahi@aol.com)
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

Re: Exercise & Clusters
« Reply #1 on: Aug 16th, 2005, 9:04am »

Don't know about exercise as a preventative for ch but I can abort an oncomming attack with a few minutes of "streneous" exercise.  Not sure if it's endorphins or hyperventillating.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
clarence
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wake up

nailinmyeye
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 16th, 2005, 9:14am »

I don't know about as a preventative either (as my wife likes to remind me that I don't go to the gym enough...), but for me it doesn't work as an abortive.  I have tried heavy cardio at the onset of an attack, and it increases the pain level quickly and intensely for me.

Casey
IP Logged

NY Yankees Suck!!!

"Bart, don't make fun of Grad students. They just made a terrible life decision," Marge Simpson

Where I live: http://rainfallsoneveryone.com
wip5150
New Board Junior
USA 

I have tired head

wip5150
Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 16th, 2005, 12:02pm »

I'm episodic and sometimes find that rapid breathing (almost hyperventilating) can help subside and attack.  Not sure it would work for everyone, though.
IP Logged

Ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight? I have, and man it hurts
Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 16th, 2005, 4:17pm »

I'm episodic.  Excercise, or the lack thereof, never seemed to make much difference in the number of hits, or intensity, until my cycle this year.  If I so much as break a sweat, I got hit.  The more I worked out, the higher the intensity and longer the hit lasted.

Glad it's working for you.

Sandy

PS no wonder I've gained a pound or two (or twenty) Undecided
IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
1968eric
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Aug 16th, 2005, 6:29pm »

Opposite for me.  If I want to gaurentee an attack, all I have to do is go for a hard run.  The attack occurs almost exactly 1.5 hours after I finish the run.
IP Logged
bnfreeman
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 16th, 2005, 9:27pm »

Exercise has never caused mine. But I have found if one is starting I run up and down the stairs and it can abort it.  

BF
IP Logged
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 17th, 2005, 1:54am »

I used to dance professionally and then when in cycle I would get hit after a dance session.  
But the strange thing is that during a hit (if I am at home and put music on) and do some full out dancing it sometimes help to abort. Huh

IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #8 on: Aug 17th, 2005, 9:01am »

Hard labor of excercise throughoug a day will nearly always trigger a serious attack.  Exercise at the onset of an attack has not been effective at aborting an attack.  Outside of pacing the floors I just cannot  concentrate on rapid physical movement.  

I actually have to remind myself to just breathe during severe attacks because I often find myslef holding my breath.  When I do breath again it's usually heavy and deep breathing to compensate and I once thought that this brought relief.

I did some deep breathing exercises to test this theory and the result was at best 50/50 which is very close to the percentage of attacks that ramp up and mysteriously stop without any concious intervention on my part.

Tom
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
brainfreeze
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 17th, 2005, 10:58am »

A long hot day of exercise triggered my last cycle.  Moderate exercise makes my head feel better during the cycle.  Not sure if it's really related or not since I've  experienced it both ways.  I've gotten relief during exercise and have had exercise trigger them.
IP Logged

Susan
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Aug 17th, 2005, 1:27pm »

When in cycle, if I do any strenous aerobic activity for more than 15 or 20 minute, I will get a Kip 8+ headache within 20 minutes of stopping the excercise.

IP Logged
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #11 on: Aug 17th, 2005, 2:12pm »

on Aug 16th, 2005, 6:29pm, 1968eric wrote:
Opposite for me.  If I want to gaurentee an attack, all I have to do is go for a hard run.  The attack occurs almost exactly 1.5 hours after I finish the run.

Mine is timed at about 17 to 32 minutes from the completion of my run, including cool down walk.... You gotta love these things. Was able to run this week for first time since July 15  Grin with completion of cycle. Still ifnd that I start "thinking" about it as my run gets near the end. Will I or won't I. Today I came in and downed a Red Bull and took 5 minutes of O2 "just in case". Wacky behavior are us.
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss