Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 4:33pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Re: Genetic family cluster data »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Re: Genetic family cluster data
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Re: Genetic family cluster data  (Read 313 times)
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« on: Aug 19th, 2005, 8:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Doesn't that hold true for any disorder that one is predisposed to at birth
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #1 on: Aug 20th, 2005, 3:18am »

What happened to the original message?
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 20th, 2005, 6:11am »

on Aug 19th, 2005, 9:06pm, srjeffers wrote:
I believe I have ananswer to the heredity of clusters and why they are so sporadic in families.  My wife has suffered from clusters for 15 years with pregnancy interrupting the process altogether.  

It is now coming to light for us that her father and his brother are also sufferers.  Therefore the most logical explanation is that cluster headaches are a phenomenon of a recessive sex-linked trait.  For those unfamiliar... sex-linked traits are from the X chromosome... Mommy of course has two and in all most likelihood is blessed with a dominant.  Male offspring receiving an unprotected X (recessive) by virtue of no match (only the Y) inherit the trait.  Females are almost always protected.

The unlucky women, like my wife, got the double whammy (two recessives) and if my theory holds water my son is going to be a sufferer too.  So as a non-sufferer it is as vital to me as any that a solution be found.  Narrowing down the genetic trait to a chromosome is huge... If we have that the haystack shrinks significantly and maybe we can figure out how to deactivate or disable this beast.

My question now:  Is this news or not?  I have seen no other discussions yet.

If this was the original message I think it had been put in the archives by mistake.

I find it sort of interesting. Obviously we know there is genetic research being carried out in the US by Dr Rosen and in the UK by Professor Trembath at Leicester University. They have actually managed to isolate a couple of genes at Leicester and gave us quite a lengthy talk on it at the OUCH UK conference this year. I will be letting you all have that info as soon as I have it. Jasper and I are taking part in  the research along with David too to help as much as we can. Every little helps and they don't get much littler than Jabs!
I had an uncle who used to have the most terrible headaches apparently  and couldn't bear to have anyone near him (no one could bear to be near him either according to the stories). He killed himself in 1970 so who knows if that was CH or not. He was my maternal uncle. I have CH and so does my son as you all know so obviously the statements above do hold water on the face of it but as we all know with CH.. the one thing it loves to do is disprove a theory!!

Its interesting debating it all out though and I'll certainly share the Leicester info as soon as I have it.
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Aug 20th, 2005, 8:15am »

There have been reports here from cluster sufferers that have other sufferers in their families so I would say yes there is a very good chance heredity plays a part.

But, in my case, there is no one that I have found, other than me, that sufferers clusters. Or migraines for that matter.

Lucky-sum-bitch-me Cheesy
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Ueli

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 20th, 2005, 11:43am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
Therefore the most logical explanation is that cluster headaches are a phenomenon of a recessive sex-linked trait.
Assuming 5 in 10,000 men get clusters, that means 5 of 10,000 X chromosomes carry the cluster trait. For a woman to get two of these bad X cromosomes the chance is therefore 0.00052 = 0.00000025 or 1 in 4 million. That means there are less than a hundred female clusterheads in the USA, a small enough number to make the statement "Women don't get clusters" (almost) true.  Shocked

LeLimey wrote: "They have actually managed to isolate a couple of genes at Leicester". That's a more likely scenario, two or more genes, on different chromosomes (probably none on a sex chromosome). This would be more consistent with the more or less random incident of CH, and the occasionally observed hereditary connection. The larger incident in males than in females is rather due to hormones than X or Y chromosomes.

PFNADs, Ueli                 smokin  

IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 21st, 2005, 12:30pm »

on Aug 19th, 2005, 8:34pm, E-Double wrote:
Doesn't that hold true for any disorder that one is predisposed to at birth

on Aug 19th, 2005, 8:54pm, srjeffers wrote:
No it doesn't.  Most trtaits reside on chromosomes other than the X which means two copies.  Men only have one X.  The significant thing however is just figuring out which chromosome to start looking on.  If we can figure out how and why the gene turns on logic necessitates with time and of course a lot of money we can figure out how to turn it off.

Regards srjeffers

Just wanted to share the PM  I recieved.
Nice to receive a refresher course.
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss