Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 10:53pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Zomig Nasal Spray »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Zomig Nasal Spray
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Zomig Nasal Spray  (Read 319 times)
sdlauri
New Board Newbie
USA 

HA free this second

Email

Zomig Nasal Spray
« on: Aug 27th, 2005, 5:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Everyone,
41 yo female diagnosed at the beginning of this August -I was started on Verapamil 120er qd and that didn't stop the headaches so my doc bumped me up to 180er qd - which seems (fingers crossed) to be helping but I still have one pretty bad one in the evening for which I use Zomig Nasal Spray or Imitrex Statdose - I prefer the nasal spray.  My doc says that I can only do 2 per day 10mg qd - I thought this dose was for migraines can I take more for Clusters?  For me the nasal spray has less side effects but takes longer to work - Does everyone get samples from their doc?  My insurance will only pay for 6 doses of triptan for me per 22 days.
IP Logged

Thank God for Statdose
pubgirl

Email

Re: Zomig Nasal Spray
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27th, 2005, 7:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

sdlauri

This is REALLY important. You mustn't take more than two doses of ANY triptan in 24 hours. This means if you have one dose of the Zomig you can only have one more, and if you take that you MUSTN'T use the Imigran.
You should also never mix Triptans either.

The main reason for this is that it is very easy to overdose on triptans. They have a vasoconstricting effect on your body, and by this I mean your WHOLE body including the blood supplies to all your major organs. Overdosing can therefore potentially be life threatening.

Wendy
IP Logged
LasVegas
New Board Veteran
USA 

Episodic CH since 11 yrs old, now 39.

Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 28th, 2005, 3:50pm »

sdlauri....check you Private Messages at top of screen....Gregg in Las Vegas
IP Logged

Wishing all a Pain Free 2008!
brainfreeze
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 29th, 2005, 2:36pm »

I do the trex nasal sprays and initially I was given many samples but as time has worn on and the medication became more popular,  no more samples.  Cry  
I was fortunate with my last cycle though.  My insurance paid for the initial prescription and one refill within one month. That was 12 doses.  I was happy!!!!  When I do run into that 'insurance isn't going to pay for another dose game' I switch to the pill form.  They end up covering it one way or another.

And somebody on here (sorry I forgot who)  gave me this link for discount coupons.  

http://www.migrainehelp.com/5.offers_and_information/screener_page.html

I hope some of this helps.  PFDANS to you.
IP Logged

Susan
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #4 on: Sep 4th, 2005, 10:43pm »

Hello sdlauri and welcome to our little corner of the net.

As has been said - don't do more than the recommended dosage of triptans unless your doctor has thoroughly examined you and specifically tells you you can.  In my case, my doc said I could do three Zomig NS per day, but I have very good blood pressure and low cholesterol (145 at last count) and such.

Also seriously heed the warning about mixing triptan medications - could cause major cardiac problems.  We have come close to losing a family member or two due to this.  If you take  Zomig NS - wait AT LEAST 24 hours before taking Imitrex and vice versa.

As far as a 6 per 22 day limit, many insurance companies will give you more if you have a letter of medical necessity from your neurologist.  Some will take it from a regular doctor, but mine required a letter from a neurologist.  With that they gave me 30 Zommig NS per month.

If you take Imitrex and need more per month try the letter of medical necessity route first.  If that doesn't work, try this tip from the OUCH website:

http://www.clusterheadaches.org/medications.htm

Quote:
Need More Imitrex?

If you need more Imitrex than your insurance company will provide and your doctor is willing to prescribe, you can contact GlaxoSmithKline directly. They have a division called "Reimbursement Resource Center" (the name implies you have to pay up front, but that is not the case). Call them at 1-800-745-2967 option #3, give them the information they ask for, your doctor's name & number, insurance company info, etc. and they will assign you a case worker who will contact your insurance company and hopefully get them to increase the number of doses

AstaZeneca (makers of Zomig) has prescription assistance programs detailed here:

http://www.astrazeneca-us.com/content/drugAssistance/

Also on the OUCH webpage above, there is a link to the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) website: http://www.phrma.org/  There you will find information on the Partnership for Prescription Assistance.

I hope this information helps you and anyone else who reads this get the medication needed.

PFDAN,

Gator
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss