Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 6:05pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Travel and CH »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Travel and CH
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Travel and CH  (Read 315 times)
JPlocher
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Travel and CH
« on: Sep 6th, 2005, 5:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I was once cautioned by a neurologist that flying (due to change in altitude) and traveling to different time zones (change in wake/sleep cycle) may trigger CH episodes.  I get seasonal CH, usually late summer, and I'm planning on going to Southeast Asia from the U.S. so I'm wondering about this possibility.  Has anyone had this experience or any thoughts about it?

Thank you.
Jessica
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

Re: Travel and CH
« Reply #1 on: Sep 6th, 2005, 8:06pm »

If it is going to happen it will happen regardless.

Don't let it keep ya from living!
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
madaline
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Sep 7th, 2005, 1:46am »

I got hit real bad last summer flying home from Hawaii-I was ready to jump out of the plane. Because of that, I did not plan a vacation for this past summer. I will be flying to see my son in Phoenix, this Nov. and will be armed with lots of Excedrin and soda(for the caffeine, which I just started using as an abortive about two months ago), and Zomig nasal spray. After the trip, I will tell you how it all worked. Good luck to you.  Madaline
IP Logged
kayarr
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

kayarr2k  
Email

Re: Travel and CH/Madaline
« Reply #3 on: Sep 7th, 2005, 2:37am »

What else are you using to either keep your headaches at bay or rapidly make them go away?
My guy found Imitrex good for about 4 hours (it was the only way we could go to the movies)
IP Logged

Nothing is impossible! Just believe!!!!!
Backsida
New Board Newbie
Hong_Kong 

I love Linux

« Reply #4 on: Sep 7th, 2005, 3:18am »

Hi,

I travel a lot (Asia - Europa) and what I find out or what is my
experience is, that after a change of time-zone I never got a
CH-Period but it start so about one to tow month later when the body
start to relax.
Actually is it so if I travel in a CH-Period the Period stop mostly  
after one or tow days in the different time-zone.

But this is only my personal experience.

HTH, Back.

IP Logged

I sit and talk to god
and he just laughs about planing
wip5150
New Board Junior
USA 

I have tired head

wip5150
Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 7th, 2005, 9:16am »

I travel quite a bit with my job.  The pressure and altitude changes don't trigger a cycle, but when I'm in a cycle, it's a good bet that I'll have a Kip 7-9 during the flight.  I ALWAYS bring some Imitrex just in case.
IP Logged

Ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight? I have, and man it hurts
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 7th, 2005, 1:02pm »

I also travel a lot for work. I'm based in Florida, but go to Phoenix and Europe quite often. I have never had an attack during flight while in cycle (except once) nor have I ever had a flight trigger a cycle. The only time I got hit during a flight is because I fell asleep.... I get hit when I nap, regardless of where I am (in my bed, couch or in an airplane....).

This just goes to show that we're all different.

E-Double is right: live life as if you don't have CH. Don't let the beast tell you how to live.
IP Logged
lionsound
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

breathe

« Reply #7 on: Sep 7th, 2005, 4:36pm »

like everyone has said....sometimes you get hit on planes and sometimes not..just like when we're walking around on the ground at home.

As i learrned, It really important to be prepared and have your abortive(s) within arms reach (not overhead) during the flight just in case you can't get up and move around.

So plan your travel and enjoy!Smiley

-lionsound
IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #8 on: Sep 8th, 2005, 12:24am »

Jessica,

Flying doesn't trigger CH to me. I've been episodic and chronic, no difference there. I've had Ch attacks before the flight and after it, but not during one.  

My advice would be: take the flight and see what happends. Be prepared in case you do get ch, but don't let fear stop you. In my experience, ch comes and goes when it wants to. It's your choice what you'll do in between. I suggest that you'll have as much fun as you can. Smiley

Good luck & let us know how it turned out, okay? Smiley

Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

« Reply #9 on: Sep 10th, 2005, 11:11am »

i have noticed this too.  Just simply driving long distance somewhere seems to trigger me.  Oddly enough, the last time i went 4 hours away, i got hit in the late morning after.....which is pretty rare for me.
Too scared to book a flight somewhere for sure.  How do you get your needles on board the plane anyway?  
BMonee
IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Sep 10th, 2005, 1:01pm »

Hi Jessica!
This summer I flew from England to Dallas and didn't get hit at all on the way out.
I got hit on the way back before the plane had even left the ground but was fine throughout the rest of the flight.. no problems at all! I flew with AA and all I needed to have my imi on board with me was a letter from my doctor.. they weren't bothered at all.
 Both flights were ten hours long so a good test - I'll certainly never fear flying again  
I hope this helps you!
Helen X
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

BikerBob
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #11 on: Sep 10th, 2005, 1:31pm »

I've been episodic for 30 years. My most recent episode started 3 days after I flew from Northern California to Florida.

- abrupt change in climate from cool/dry to hot/humid.
- three hour time difference changed my sleep cycle.
- stress of full day trip changing planes in Phoenix.

edited to add: "Typically, commercial airplanes fly at an altitude of about 38,000 feet. The cabin is pressurized to make it safe and comfortable at that extreme altitude – but this does not make breathing in an airplane the same as breathing on the ground. Most people are not surprised that the humidity and air pressure of airplane air decreases as the plane ascends. But that’s not all that changes. At sea level, the air we breathe contains about 21 percent oxygen; on a typical commercial flight, the cabin air has only about 15 percent oxygen. The implications of decreasing the oxygen by one quarter are discussed in the November 2004 Thorax. Most people are unaware that the oxygen levels in their blood are lower when flying."

BB
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2005, 3:06pm by BikerBob » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss