Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 6th, 2024, 3:49am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Trying something different. »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Trying something different.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Trying something different.  (Read 269 times)
rbmb
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Trying something different.
« on: Sep 7th, 2005, 3:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've been in cycle since the end of May. I use Topomax as a preventative....was taking 100 mg. in morning and 100 mg. at night and stopped taking it in the morning as I couldn't deal with the side effects at work. It didn't seem to be helping anyway. I only get HAs at night, generally around 11 to 12 pm and use a DHE shot, which is effective. Problem is that the HA is well on its way before I wake up enough to give myself a shot and I have to endure the pain until the shot kicks in. My neuro suggested taking a shot before going to bed, an idea I resisted because I had this weird idea that I shouldn't be jabbing myself with a needle unless I'm really in pain.  
     I've been giving myself a shot before going to bed for about a week now and have been waking up headache free in the morning for the most part...... occasionally I've woken up with what starts to be a HA, but it goes away after a few minutes. My neuro said not to do this for more than 2 weeks and I have an appointment to see him about then anyway.
     Sometimes I get HAs about the time I'm getting ready to go to bed, so I know I'm still in cycle. If I go for a while without these, I'm going to skip the shot before bed and see if I wake up with a HA during the night. Using an abortive as a preventative goes against everything I've read about CHs, but has been sparing me from the nightly HAs.
    Rich
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

Re: Trying something different.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 7th, 2005, 4:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Sep 7th, 2005, 3:32pm, rbmb wrote:
I shouldn't be jabbing myself with a needle unless I'm really in pain.  

If you take the DHE before the headache, you'll probably prevent it

on Sep 7th, 2005, 3:32pm, rbmb wrote:
Using an abortive as a preventative goes against everything I've read about CHs, but has been sparing me from the nightly HAs.
                   Rich

DHE is not only an abortive medication, it can be a preventive med as well. The only problem is that the max dose is 2mg per day and 6mg per week. Taking too much DHE can be harmful (It can seriously restrict blood flow to the extremities)

UNsolved
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 7th, 2005, 4:59pm »

you could try melatonin.
6-12mg @ night has helped many prevent their night time attacks.
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 7th, 2005, 7:04pm »

Ditto to EE.  Melatonin at 9mg/night about 30 minutes before bedtime really helps me when in cycle.  It sometimes takes a few nights to kick in, but works for many of us.

Certainly better than risking the severe side effects of using DHE as a long-term abortive.

PF Wishes,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Salvelinus
New Board Junior
USA 

With Him, all things are possible. ><>

« Reply #4 on: Sep 7th, 2005, 7:47pm »

Have you considered oxygen?  You could have a tank right by your bed, and use it when you wake up in pain, as an alternative to the DHE.

Use a non-rebreather mask with a liter flow of 10-15 liters per minute.  Breathe the O2 until a few minutes after the pain goes away.

It's helped me, and others, and has no side effects.  I'll pray for you . . . Smiley

Namaste,
--Scott
IP Logged

Namaste,
--Scott ><>

"When no one else knows how I feel,
You run to me, with outstretched hands,
and you hold me in your arms.
Again."
--Building 429
rbmb
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 8th, 2005, 5:26pm »

Thanks all for your responses......I've tried oxygen and unfortunately it didn't help with the headaches. I wish it did. I also tried melatonin and had 3 or 4 bad headaches the first night I took it. I assumed I was just one of those rare people who react badly to it and never tried it again. Maybe I'll work up the nerve to try it again.
        Rich
IP Logged
brian_m

Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 8th, 2005, 8:42pm »

research the benefits of water/allergies/dehydration . at least  5 wks  before youur cycle normally starts keep water with you. 8liter per day(4 before bed).

IP Logged
brian_m

Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 8th, 2005, 8:57pm »

me again .....re water cont.....
too muuch at once couuld cauuse kidney probs. your body will eventually retain the water and less trips to the washroom. not an over night cure but couuld be a cuure as apposed to any meds any of uus seem to know.
"break the cycles." contact your doc.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss