Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 1:08pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Latest Meds? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Latest Meds?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Latest Meds?  (Read 339 times)
jd3d
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Latest Meds?
« on: Sep 29th, 2005, 12:47am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Well, They were gone for over 3 years and they are back again...Seems like the devil is up to his old tricks....Every night I get waken around 12:30am and then around 3am.....

What is the lates meds out there that are working to break the cycle? I used Prednisone and Veramamil last 2 times around and it worked...Read more about those meds and would like to try something else if it has worked for others. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

John D
IP Logged
AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

Re: Latest Meds?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 29th, 2005, 1:13am »

G'day, and welcome aboard.

One of the biggies is good old pure oxygen.  If you haven't tried it yet check the 'oxygen info' button over on the left.  Many, many people find it remarkably effective.

Another one in common use is Immitrex shots.  Again there's a button on the left shows a little trick to cut the exorbitant cost of the stuff.

Otherwise there's more natural products like kudzu and melatonin.  Look around our happy little board here and there's heaps of info on both.

Good luck and stay in touch,

Brian Down Under.

IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
yowww
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Sep 29th, 2005, 1:40am »

I was about to post the exact same message!  I've been cluster-free for the last 2yrs+ and now they're back.  No specific times this go round and my usual 2 Vicadins / cafregot / strong coffee aren't doing the job!  Most definitely interested in any new meds out there!  

Should also add that the absolute WORST ch I've ever had occurred after taking Immitrex pills!  The ch went away in about 20 minutes and I thought it was a miracle drug!  BUT...I was then hit w/a rebound ch that lasted 24 hours!  Also, sat in the ER one night (years ago), inhaling oxygen to no avail!

Question...any smokers out there and if so, do you think it is a cause of chs?  I smoke and during a ch, seems like it's the only thing to keep me from ramming my head through a wall!

(Was registered on the board years ago, can't  remember my user name so "yowww" is how I'm feeling right now!)

Thx - Mike
IP Logged
jcmquix
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

jcmquix  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 29th, 2005, 6:54am »

Hi jd3d...

Nice to meet you, Sorry it has to be here for this reason... You said:

Quote:
Every night I get waken around 12:30am and then around 3am.....  

What is the lates meds out there that are working to break the cycle?

Have you tried Melatonin ? I started using it during this last cycle that just ended for me, I got alot of relief from the Night Time Hits using it...  

Its alvailable OTC, you do not need a Script for it, but you should consult with your Dr. before starting any OTC meds. You can find it in the Health Food Section of any Major Store, get the 3mg pills...  

Take 9mg (3 pills) everynight about 30 minutes before bed time, it will take about 3 or 4 days to start working, but you should notice a differance in the Intensity & Frequency of the Night Time Visits.. I would say that after a week of using it, you should see some results.

If you wake up with the Stuffy Nose & Conjestion, You can also take 50mg of Benadryl, with the Melatonin. (the Benadryl usually comes in 25mg pills, so you need to take 2 of them)..

As for an Abortive, I like to use the O2 now that I have it. If the O2 does not kick the HA after about 10 minutes, I use the TREX inj (About 1/3 of the Stat dose), then go back to using the O2 till the HA is gone.

If you get the TREX inj, check out the tip to the left. Alot of us here that use the TREX inj, have had better results using only 1/3 or 1/2 of the TREX Stat Dose. If you need info on this, just send me a PM.

God Bless & Good Luck
Charlie

IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space. (burnt-toast)
jcmquix
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

jcmquix  
Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 29th, 2005, 7:02am »

on Sep 29th, 2005, 1:40am, yowww wrote:

I was about to post the exact same message!  I've been cluster-free for the last 2yrs+ and now they're back.  No specific times this go round and my usual 2 Vicadins / cafregot / strong coffee aren't doing the job!  Most definitely interested in any new meds out there!

The Caffine helps me as well to avoid the Beast during the day... But you need to Avoid the OTC & Script Pain Pills, for most of the people with CH, the Pain Pills are just a Trigger.  

on Sep 29th, 2005, 1:40am, yowww wrote:
Question...any smokers out there and if so, do you think it is a cause of chs?  I smoke and during a ch, seems like it's the only thing to keep me from ramming my head through a wall!

Thx - Mike

As for the smoking thing, well I tried to quit when this last cycle started and I realized that I was causing myself more stress.... I tend to smoke more when I am having a HA.. I use it to help keep myself calm and get through the HA.. The more worked up you get during a HA the more Intense the Pain will be.... Always try to keep yourself calm, even though its hard...  

Also check in to using the Melatonin & O2 as I stated above...  

God Bless & Good Luck
PFDAN's
Charlie
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space. (burnt-toast)
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 29th, 2005, 10:52am »

Hiya  

This is a great resource to know like the back of your hand...print it out and give it to the doc  

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf

It will present the appropriate treatments that you should seek and your doctor should know!!!  

I have recently been using Zyprexa as an abortive and have found it to work (for me) as fast as Imitrex and without the "hangover"  

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=meds;action= display;num=1120904753

Good luck on your journey
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss