Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 4:03pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Triggers »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Triggers
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Triggers  (Read 566 times)
PPRanch
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Triggers
« on: Sep 24th, 2005, 5:16am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have been in a long standing debate with my neurologist regarding common triggers of my CH's.  He insists that nicotine and caffeine rank right up there with alcohol as the most common ones.  I've had these packages from hell for 35 years now (episodic thank goodness) and swear that cigs and coffee not only DON'T trigger them, but at times actually relieve them a bit (alcohol on the other hand triggers them if I so much as THINK about a bottle of beer).  He says I'm "rationalizing" just to maintain my beloved habit (which it is) but when I'm in my cycle, I'm in no mood for "rationalizing" ANYTHING and would cease my cigarettes as quickly as I cease my even more beloved scotch!! I'm curious about the effects cigarettes and coffee on other sufferers.  Please respond -----I'd like to obtain enough feedback to get %'s.
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

Re: Triggers
« Reply #1 on: Sep 24th, 2005, 5:57am »

Hello and welcome!
You're right and your neuro is wrong on the subject of caffeine at least!!
Alot of us here find that really strong coffee or drinks like red bull will help abort, do a search on caffeine and read up about here and also on this site
http://www.med-owl.com/clusterheadaches/tiki-index.php?page=HomePage
I can't help with the smoking side as I don't smoke but it hasn't stopped anyone here so that I've noticed!
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

« Reply #2 on: Sep 24th, 2005, 9:12am »

No two clusters are the same, any more than any two CHeads are the same.  Major triggers for some are but candy floss to others.  

Personally, I couldn't imagine a cycle without cigarettes and coffee.  

Your neuro would have done well to preface the statement, "For many people...".

IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Sep 24th, 2005, 9:16am »

A few (very few) non-smokers have said that secondhand smoke will trigger an attack.

I am a smoker. Secondhand smoke does not trigger an attack for me. I started smoking years before my first cluster. I have smoked before, during and after an attack and it made no difference in the severity or duration of the attacks.  

Caffeine has never been on my trigger list. Many folks use coffee and the high-caffeine drinks as an abortive.

Alcohol is a well known trigger. I don't know the numbers but I'd say 90% of us are triggered by alcohol.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 24th, 2005, 11:34am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Cigarettes are not a trigger for me, alcohol is!
IP Logged
Sean_C

Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 24th, 2005, 12:54pm »

Alcohol, sex, MSG and stress will make my head explode guaranteed. I'm a coffe junky and I smoke 2 packs a day, I think if I quit those my wife would start getting clusters Grin

Sean....................................
« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2005, 12:55pm by Sean_C » IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 24th, 2005, 1:06pm »

I don't smoke and still get clusters.   Cafeine tends to help people.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 24th, 2005, 1:08pm »

on Sep 24th, 2005, 12:54pm, Sean_C wrote:
Alcohol, sex, MSG and stress will make my head explode guaranteed. I'm a coffe junky and I smoke 2 packs a day, I think if I quit those my wife would start getting clusters Grin

Sean....................................

I think if you quit those your wifes pain ..... laugh laugh

I can't do it,  I can't,  I just can't....I luvs our Seanie too much to pick on him today....
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
unclejake127
New Board Newbie
USA 

everybody loves somebody

unclejake127  
Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 24th, 2005, 1:22pm »

i dont smoke anymore (2yrs now)
but the wife smokes as long as she keeps the window open in the car its not a trigger
caffeine not a trigger either  
as i said befor alcohol is a killer  Angry
and this sex thing from sean???????? never pass it up Tongue

jim
IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #9 on: Sep 24th, 2005, 1:51pm »

Alcohol is a trigger for me.
I've never smoked, but sometimes when I've been in a room with a lot of smokers, it triggered ch instantly. So did some other strong scents, warm showers (sometimes), drinking cold water (sometimes), chewing something (sometimes). And salty snacks such as popcorn and pribgles have triggered ch occasionally.
But sometimes drinking coca-cola light lemon with ice helped me with aborting ch and especially the side effects meds gave to me.

But like it has been mentioned, every clusterhead is different.
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Maestro
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #10 on: Sep 24th, 2005, 3:38pm »

When I am not having CH's nothing seems to trigger them.  I don't smoke but I have a drink every afternoon, eat Chinese food with Msg. and drink coffee all with no problems.  In a cycle I stay away from all plus chocolates and nuts.
IP Logged
ckelly181
New Board Old Timer
USA 

To err is human; To forgive, canine.

Email

« Reply #11 on: Sep 24th, 2005, 4:57pm »

Alcohol
    Cigarette smoke
    Stress
    Heat
    Naps

Those are my biggies.
« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2005, 4:59pm by ckelly181 » IP Logged

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
mischki
New Board Newbie
USA 

Slobber happens...

WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Sep 24th, 2005, 9:41pm »

Speaking of triggers, Richard wanted me to ask if anyone has a problem with Peanut Butter, hot sauce or popcorn...

Caffeine helps him.  We both smoke, and smoking has no effect either way.  But my migraines sure get worse if I'm around it when I've got one...  OOPS! I said the M word!  Lips Sealed

Richard wanted to add, "I'm having a Red Bull night, and it's alright."

(Yes, he's registered, but he says I type faster, so I'm still posting for him! Tongue )
IP Logged
joey_the_grip
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #13 on: Sep 25th, 2005, 1:19am »

I've suffered ch for about 20 years. Each cycle (there have been about 30) is a little different, with different triggers and differing ways of managing the pain. Sometimes second-hand smoke has been a bad trigger, but not this time around, I smoke about a pack a day. Never had a problem with caffeine, in fact it seems to be helpful. Never had a problem with nuts, cheese or any other foods that I've identified. I lose all desire to drink alcohol during my cycle and am afraid to experiment with it (my subconscious seems to be saying NO!!). I have found that I can reliably trigger an episode with marijuana, however it is much less severe than usual. I roll on the floor and cry, but I'm not suicidal when I trigger one this way. So I smoke a hit or two a day to get it over. This way I can alter that clockwork rhythm ch can have to a time somewhat of my own choosing. Interestingly I've noticed that while I am in a cycle and smoke mj it does not usually  make me feel high. I find that over the counter meds like Excedrin migraine are as effective as anything I've been prescribed if I pay attention to my subconscious also. It "tells" me how to act and I do so. Sometimes I need intense pressure in the middle of the forehead, sometimes on the temple, often I need to partially disrobe, sometimes I spin in circles it is as if this other thing is operating my body.

P.S.  Sometimes triggering "brain freeze" by holding ice cream against the roof of my mouth reduces the pain almost immediately.
IP Logged
AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

« Reply #14 on: Sep 25th, 2005, 2:48am »

If it works for you, Joey, go for it and never be surprised at what works for others.

There's even the famous Frozen-banana Therapy!
IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
jon019

Email

« Reply #15 on: Sep 25th, 2005, 1:24pm »

Hi PPRanch,

I smoke. Can't quit, I've tried (Mark Twain said it was EASY, he did it a thousand times!). Sometimes I think it's a trigger, sometimes I don't. What I DO know is that
during a bad CH  the ONLY thing that gets me through
is.......that.....when.....this.....damn.....thing.....is.....over....i' m.....gonnna....have...a....slow....relaxing....smoke...RELIEF!!!  Sad? That's for others to judge. I'll take what I can get.

As for caffeine, if used at the right time and right strength it will sometimes abort, if drunk at the wrong time (learned thru experience) it is a trigger and subsequent use will be ineffective.

Different stuff works for different folks (see Lelimey, Aussiebrian and others). Tell your neuro not to be so absolute.

Regards,

Jon019
IP Logged
Sean_C

Email

« Reply #16 on: Sep 25th, 2005, 10:39pm »

on Sep 25th, 2005, 2:48am, AussieBrian wrote:
There's even the famous Frozen-banana Therapy!

I don't think Don was seious when he told you that  Grin
IP Logged
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

« Reply #17 on: Sep 26th, 2005, 11:23am »

I have recognized some triggers for me but dont think cigs are one of them.....Getting overheated at times can bring them on...then other times it doesnt matter.....I have alot of problems with my neck and the discs...when i get major stressed, i can feel the chs coming on fast...i blame alot of my attacks now on my neck problem.....my Neuro says he feels that too....I am getting hit hard rite now because of stress ....today is my birthday so i guess the beast decided to bring my present!  smiles,nancyc PS alcohol is definetly a trigger for me ...that is why i dont drink now.
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2005, 11:32am by nancyc » IP Logged
PollyPocket
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Someone I am is waiting for my courage.

Yennyfur_D  
WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: Sep 26th, 2005, 12:52pm »

Never had a prob w/caffeine, cigs OR wine, but the one thing that strikes total fear in me is ...........chocolate!

Can't even smell it while in cycle or I go straight to a 9+. Ended up in the hospital with a 7 hour, 9+ all due to Russell Stovers and a few truffles.  

Nice way to find  out what triggers for me.
IP Logged

“Life is all about timing... the unreachable becomes reachable, the unavailable become available, the unattainable... attainable. Have the patience, wait it out It's all about timing.” - Stacey Charter

"If I don't remember it happening, it never happened. Wink " - Tori
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #19 on: Sep 26th, 2005, 3:25pm »

Hey PPR, I'm with you. Coffee definitely is good for my CHs, and nicotine does nothing to relieve nor trigger. I smoke cigars, used to smoke cigarettes.

Like Jennifer, milk chocolate triggers a CH for me. Dark chocolate is OK. Other triggers for me are: alcohol, sleep, tomato (anything acid), OJ (anything citric), aspartame (the stuff in Equal).
IP Logged
aceserve
New Board Junior
Puerto_Rico 

Email

« Reply #20 on: Sep 26th, 2005, 3:38pm »

Alcohol, like most of us, is a sure-fire trigger for a CH. I don't touch a drop when I'm in cycle. Unfortunately this has occurred when I've been in the mecca of microbrews (Oregon), and in Argentina, where wine is really good and really cheap.

Caffeine has had no noticeable effect. I used to smoke occasionally. I never noticed an effect, but since it probably deprives the body of some oxygen, I wouldn't doubt that there is a negative effect.

Someone mention sex?  I can't imagine doing it while having a CH, but if the blood rushes from the brain to fill up, ummm, something else.. Hey now, I might be onto something there!
IP Logged

Ahhh, what a relief to be pain free. Hang in there. Good times are comin'.
rbmb
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #21 on: Sep 26th, 2005, 6:26pm »

I've been having CHs for several years now and have found only two triggers: alcohol and taking naps. I smoke, eat anything I want and have been through lots of stressful times and never found any of these things have led to a headache. But, boy, stay away from the alcohol until you are absolutely sure the cycle is over.
         Rich
IP Logged
Ueli

Email

« Reply #22 on: Sep 27th, 2005, 8:19pm »

That's the twisted logic of some docs: alcohol, nicotine and caffeine are generally bad for your health, therefore, for CH they must be so bad that they even are triggers.

This particular neuro must be mixing up CH with meegraines. Sad  That stuff is, besides uncountable others, on the infamous meegraines trigger list. For M it is assumed that a trigger can have a latency of up to 24 hours (I wonder how they pick the culprit out of hundreds foods, drinks, smells, sounds or TV programs).

As anybody familiar with CH knows, CH-triggers act within minutes, like alcohol for many (but not for me Grin). A CH attack in the evening has certainly nothing to do with the breakfast coffee.

PFNADs, Ueli                  smokin
IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #23 on: Sep 28th, 2005, 12:13am »

on Sep 27th, 2005, 8:19pm, Ueli wrote:
A CH attack in the evening has certainly nothing to do with the breakfast coffee.
PFNADs, Ueli

Ummmmmm.....we'll require a little beta-testing on that one, along with a few hundred thousand clinical trial results.

And a Cappuccino.
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss