Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 11:55pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Have I go cluster headaches? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Have I go cluster headaches?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Have I go cluster headaches?  (Read 377 times)
Herbs
New Board Newbie
Thailand 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Have I go cluster headaches?
« on: Oct 2nd, 2005, 8:02am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I’m in Thailand at present and have been getting very bad (relatively short:15, 30, 45 mins) headaches for the past two months. The doctors at first thought that they were sinus related but after x-rays diagnosed migraines. Today, after such a severe headache that was longer than normal, over an hour, and had me begging my wife to take me to a hospital, I did some research and found out about cluster headaches:

My headaches are short, and hurt so, so much;
They are on one side over my right eye;
The nasal passage is usually blocked;
I cannot sit still while I have them;
They almost always begin shortly after waking. This is often during the night around 4-5 AM, I’ve a young son;
I used Olbass Oil when I thought they were sinus related, and this may have helped.

I’ve read quite a few of the messages on this site so there is no need to describe the pain.

As I say, I am in Thailand so cannot get oxygen easily. I was prescribed painkiller (Cafergot?), but have no more left. The last doctor I saw suggested that I should go to one of the big Bangkok hospitals before being prescribed more painkillers, which is not greatly helpful. I now have an appointment.

I have started smoking after a year without a cigarette around the time that they started.

Any ideas? Does this sound like a cluster headache? It seems from my reading that it is.

Best wishes.  
IP Logged
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

Re: Have I go cluster headaches?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 2nd, 2005, 8:12am »

Herbs, welcome.

We're not doctors so we cannot dx you for certain. THere is a quiz on the left (cluster quiz), that should give you a good idea if it is CH that hits you.

When you say the pain is over your eye, is it above the eye or behind it? Most of us have pain behind the eye.

You've had them for 2 months, but have you had them before? Most of us started dancing with the beast in our teens or 20s.

Caffeine aborts some attacks for some of us. We're all different.

PF wishes.
IP Logged
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 2nd, 2005, 8:15am »

First things first, let me direct you over to the cluster quiz on the left bar  
<<<over there  

Take the quizes...let us know how you fair...

There is a host of great information over there as well, and others will be along to help you out as well.  But take the quizes and let us know how it turns out.

Sorry you have to be here, but if it's actually clusters, then you are in the best place for information and support to help you cope.

IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

The BEAST rises again, and again, and again, and .

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 2nd, 2005, 8:26am »

I agree with Redd (for a change ..  Wink haha!).

Another thing you might want to look at, and try, is the water X 3 treatment.  It does not cost you anything, and it helps a lot of people

I am sorry to have to say this, but welcome aboard.  Most of us would not wish this curse on our worst enemy!  (WELL, maybe our worst one !!)

Chuck
IP Logged

"No man can be happy without a friend, nor be sure of his friend till he is unhappy."
Thomas Fuller
Herbs
New Board Newbie
Thailand 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Oct 2nd, 2005, 8:31am »

Yes, I did the quiz earlier on and the indications were that it is a cluster headache. The only indication that it is not is that  I do feel nauseous, but am not physically sick. The time of day, well the early mornings, are also indicative of their diagnosis. The only time I've had one during the day is after sleeping on a long bus journey.

I am 37 years old, and, ten years ago had a very similar series of headaches (yes the pain is more behind the eye, but towards the front). 10 years ago the diagnosis was sinus headaches. I'm not sure what was prescribed but it was a nasal spray. There were no x-rays done then, but this time I've had some and, as I say, they did not suggest a sinus related problem.

Thank you for your help. I'll carry on reading the suggestions on this site.
IP Logged
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 2nd, 2005, 8:39am »

Usual Diagnostic process is to have an MRI to rule out other things such as brain tumors.  

Keep us posted.

Redd
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
bnfreeman
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 2nd, 2005, 4:07pm »

I have been sick to my stomach at times and actually threw up. I was in so much pain it made me sick. Then there was a time I mixed the imitrex with a painpill and I stayed sick. If you do have CH everyone is different. I have every symptom, but sometimes I have more. I get pain above my eye alot. Not on my eyebrow but in my eye socket above my eye. My doc said nothing to worry
about. Good Luck and nice to meet ya!

Brandi
IP Logged
tenacious
New Board Newbie
Canada 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 2nd, 2005, 4:17pm »

Some here may say that clusterheads don't get nausea, but some of us do.  My cluster quiz was also an almost perfect fit.  I do get very severe nausea.  I do vomit.  I do have sensitivity to light.  For me, the nausea can be as bad as the pain.  It forces me to try to lie still in the dark, but I can't stay that way.  In other words, the only discrepancies for me are things directly affected by the nausea.  My pain is also centered in the top of my eye.
« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2005, 4:23pm by tenacious » IP Logged

Ang
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 2nd, 2005, 6:58pm »

Hi Herbs,

Sorry you had to find us.  You might very well have clusters if the quiz answers describe you.  Don't worry about the nausea thing.  Many of us get nausea, though once I stopped taking pain pills for the HA's, my nausea ended.  Not the pain of clusters, however.

There are many good meds available to treat clusters, and pure Oxygen is one of the best.  Here's a link to the most recent therapy options.  Print it out, read it, memorize it and take it with you to your appointment.

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf

Unfortunately, you're in a part of the world where it might be more difficult to get an accurate diagnosis?  I don't know, but it is what you need before you embark on medical treatment.

Read and learn all you can here, and follow the link above.

Hugs,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Patrick_A
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If i could get my hands on that wascally Wabbit

Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 2nd, 2005, 9:12pm »

BINGO!

Patrick_A  Cheesy
IP Logged

Do you think that when they asked George Washington for his ID, that he just whipped out a One Dollar Bill?
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss