Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 9:25pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « I spoke too soon... what a coincidence! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   I spoke too soon... what a coincidence!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: I spoke too soon... what a coincidence!  (Read 583 times)
Sonnie_Parker
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

I spoke too soon... what a coincidence!
« on: Dec 9th, 2005, 1:56pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

It was only a couple of weeks ago that I came back to this forum and was sharing my experiences of not having ch's for 5 years as a result of taking Depakote 500mg ER.

Low and behold a couple of days later out of nowhere I started getting that sensation of "I think this is going to be a ch."  A few days later... THEY ARE BACK!

UNBELIEVABLE!  

I'm not superstitious but it is totally amazing how I went 5 years and all of the sudden they are back.  Fortunately they were the milder 4-6 pain, still not fun by any means.  

I thought for a while maybe I had gotten a bad batch of Depakote and it has wore off.  

Anyway... after about 4-5 days of realizing they were really back I immediately got with my doctor.  He stated that it was not unusual for someone with seizures taking Depakote to go 5 years with no seizures and then suddenly start having them again.  The body gets accustomed to the Depakote levels and it no longer has the same effect.

We decided to try the steroid dose-pack to see if it might break the cycle as it did in the beginnings many years ago.  Worked like a charm for the first 7 days then last night.... WHAM!  At 12 midnight I'm sitting at the computer and the mother of all ch's hits me... a full 10 within 15 minutes.

Of course I'm thinkin' it will be gone in 35-45 minutes... racing with the clock.  No go... it lasted a full 2 hours and 10 minutes... the longest I can ever remember.  

So off to my doc this morning I go... we are increasing the Depakote to 1000mg per day since my actual blood levels are running super low.  Also got Imitrex injections along with the good ole oxygen tank/mask and a oxygen concetrator (compliments of my mother-in-law who works at a medical supply company).

The foot fits well into my mouth on this one.  I certainly spoke too soon!

IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

Re: I spoke too soon... what a coincidence!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 9th, 2005, 3:20pm »

So sorry to hear that they have returned.  When I would get hit It was always 1 1/2 hrs long 8x/day.  So for 16 hours I was basically useless.  I am on meds now that have kept me pain free for over 2 years.  I have been blessed considering I was chronic for over 6 years.

I don't know if raising the depakote is going to help but the oxygen should be a godsend to you along with the imitrix.  Start the oxygen when you are at a low kip level like 3 or 4.  Don't wait for it to rage before you start the o2.  Good luck!!  Ill be praying for you for relief.  If you get hit at night you may also want to look into taking meletonin5-10mg over the counter.   It allows most get get in more sleep and keeps some hits away.  Do a search on it and you will see how many this has helped.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Sonnie_Parker
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 9th, 2005, 3:32pm »

Thanks Karla...

o2 worked beautifully last time before I was on Depakote.

I'll check out the meletonin.
IP Logged
zanychef
New Board Newbie
England 

i'm busting with a masx cant really go wrong can i

« Reply #3 on: Dec 9th, 2005, 4:46pm »

might i suggest hitting the o2 as soon as you notice it coming on ,dont wait for it to get to k3-4
you will use less o2 and achieve results quicker
Ian
IP Logged

plenty of time to sleep now me headaches aint too badSmiley
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 9th, 2005, 9:49pm »

on Dec 9th, 2005, 4:46pm, zanychef wrote:
might i suggest hitting the o2 as soon as you notice it coming on ,dont wait for it to get to k3-4
you will use less o2 and achieve results quicker
Ian

BINGO!!
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss